|Io Shirai Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 1.5 in|
|Date of Birth||May 8, 1990|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Io Shirai is a Japanese wrestler known for her successful wrestling career. She has performed for popular wrestling promotions like International Wrestling Revolution Group and Union Pro Wrestling. She has a mild social media fan base with more than 20k followers on Instagram and more than 50k followers on Twitter.
Io Shirai, Biba Kasai, Hitokiri, Iotica, Midnight Angel, Oyuki, T-2 Mask, Tenkū Shōjo Lusca
Kamakura, Kanagawa, Japan
Koto, Tokyo, Japan
- Siblings – Mio Shirai (Older Sister) (Professional wrestling referee and former professional wrestler)
5 ft 1.5 in or 156 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Io Shirai has dated –
- Kazushige Nosawa – Io Shirai was previously in a relationship with wrestler Kazushige Nosawa. They were even living together in Tokyo. However, their relationship couldn’t survive their arrest in Mexico for drug smuggling in 2012. They ended their relationship in a press conference held to deny drug smuggling charges.
Race / Ethnicity
For her in-ring persona, she often tends to dye her hair ‘blonde’, ‘red’ or ‘dark brown’.
- Short height
- Petite figure
Best Known For
Her successful career as a professional wrestler during which she has performed for various popular wrestling promotions such as International Wrestling Revolution Group and Union Pro Wrestling.
First Wrestling Match
She made her wrestling debut in March 2007 along with her sister Mio Shirai and Toshie Uematsu in a match against the trio Erika Ura, Nozomi Takesako and Yuri Urai. She was 16 years old at the time of her debut.
First TV Show
Apart from the telecast of her wrestling matches, Io Shirai hasn’t appeared on any TV show yet.
Io Shirai regularly hits the gym to remain in top shape for her wrestling commitments. Apart from lifting weight for her strength training regime, she also focuses on bodyweight exercises. She especially loves the unique version of push-ups known as lion push-ups.
- Finishing Moves
- Front flip piledriver – LU
- Io de Janeiro (Inverted Gedo clutch)
- Arcoiris de Io / Suplex de Io (Bridging package German suplex)
- Moonsault double foot stomp
- Rider Kick (Somersault leg drop to the back of the head of a standing opponent)
- Magica de Io / Magica de Iotica (Arm-wrench inside cradle transitioned into a bridging prawn hold)
- Spanish Fly (Moonsault slam)
- Thunder Splash (Frog Splash)
- Signature Moves
- Double arm facebuster
- La Magistral
- Io Galaxy Meteor (Standing or a running shooting star press)
- Rolling sole butt
- Moonsault, sometimes while springboarding or to the outside of the ring
- Shinkansen Attack (Running double knee strike to an opponent seated in the corner)
- Tiger feint kick to the head of an opponent draped over the second rope
Io Shirai Favorite Things
- Wrestler – Hiroshi Tanahashi
Source – Wikipedia
Io Shirai Facts
- After completing her high school education, she decided to focus full time on her wrestling career.
- The meaning of Shirai in Japanese is ‘purple thunder.’
- Early in her wrestling career, she mostly participated in the tag team matches with her older sister Mio Shirai in the Japanese wrestling circuit.
- In 2015, the Tokyo Sports selected her as the women’s wrestler of the year. She won the same accolade in 2016 and 2017 as well.
- In October 2016, it was reported that she was offered a professional contract by WWE with plans for her to compete in the promotion in 2017. In May 2017, it was revealed that she had signed a professional contract with WWE. However, a neck injury was discovered in the medical which led to a delay in her WWE debut.
- By the time she was cleared by doctors to wrestle, WWE withdrew their contract claiming that company policy prohibited them to sign any talent that had neck or concussion issues.
- In March 2017, she was featured on the cover of the Weekly Playboy magazine.
- In May 2012, she and wrestler Kazushige Nosawa were placed under arrest at the Narita International Airport in Chiba. The authorities found 75 grams of marijuana hidden inside the paintings. She apologized in a press conference but denied charges of smuggling drugs. The authorities also decided against prosecuting them over the charges.
- In July 2012, Mexico-based Japanese wrestler Takuya Sugi confessed in a press conference that he had planted drugs on Shirai and Nosawa.
Featured Image by Nico Pro – Nico Nico Wrestling Channel / YouTube / CC BY-3.0