|Jagmeet Singh Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||January 2, 1979|
|Spouse||Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu|
Jagmeet Singh is a Canadian lawyer and politician who started serving as the leader of the New Democratic Party in 2017 and the Member of Parliament (MP) for the riding of Burnaby South in 2019.
Jagmeet Singh Dhaliwal
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
From Grade 6 to 12, he attended Detroit Country Day School situated in Beverly Hills, Michigan. He went to the University of Western Ontario in 2001 to obtain a degree in BS Biology. In 2005, he took up a degree in Bachelor of Laws at York University‘s Osgoode Hall Law.
- Father – Jagtaran Singh
- Mother – Harmeet Kaur
- Siblings – Gurratan (Younger Brother) (Lawyer, Politician), Manjot (Younger Sister)
- Others – Sewa Singh Thikriwala (Great-Grandfather)
He self-manages himself.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jagmeet Singh has dated –
- Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu (2018-Present) – Jagmeet Singh and wife Gurkiran Kaur Sidhu got engaged in January 2018. Following a simple yet romantic proposal that took place at a vegetarian restaurant where they had their first date, the lovebirds had officially tied the knot on February 22, 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
- Bearded Jaw
- Thick Eyebrows
Jagmeet Singh Facts
- He worked as a criminal defense lawyer in the Greater Toronto Area before entering the world of politics. First, he worked at the law firm Pinkoskys and then at his own firm, Singh Law which he co-runs with his brother Gurratan.
- As a lawyer, he offered free legal rights seminars across Ontario and provided pro bono legal counsel for people and community organizations in need of it. As per Toronto Star‘s report published on January 9, 2012, his decision to join politics was fueled and strongly influenced by his background working in criminal defense, particularly on his work fighting for the protection of rights ingrained in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
- On October 20, 2017, he resigned as MPP after winning the federal NDP leadership race.
- He endorsed and campaigned for Wab Kinew in the Manitoba NDP’s 2017 leadership race.
- He has described himself as progressive and a social democrat.
- Singh strongly supports decriminalizing possession of all drugs and treating drug use as a medical issue rather than a criminal offense.
- Singh strongly supports and pushes for a better and progressive tax system. He supports eliminating several tax deductions available for the highest-income earners and redirects the money to low-income seniors, workers, and disabled Canadians.
- Jagmeet practices Brazilian jiu-jitsu and has competed in submission grappling in the U.S. and Canada.
- He was well-recognized for his fashion choices in Canadian magazines and publications.
- Singh was named by Toronto Life magazine as one of the 5 youngest rising stars featured in the top 10 best dressed of 2013. The magazine also dubbed him as one of the top 25 most stylish personalities in Toronto in 2013.
- In February 2017, GQ described him as someone who’s “incredibly well-dressed” in Canadian politics.
- He faced the problem of bullying in school. Hence, he learned taekwondo.
- He is the first turban-wearing Sikh MPP in Ontario.
- He is fluent in English, French, Hindi, and Punjabi.
- In 2013, he was denied a visa to India for raising the issue of the 1984 Sikh massacre, making him the first Western legislator to be denied entry to India.
Featured Image by BGM Riding Association / Wikimedia / CC-BY-SA-3.0