|James McAvoy Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||April 21, 1979|
James McAvoy is a Scottish actor who is best known for portraying roles such as Rory in Inside I’m Dancing, Mr. Tumnus in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Professor Charles Xavier in X-Men: First Class, Kevin Wendell Crumb in Split, and Lord Asriel Belacqua in His Dark Materials. He has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films such as Regeneration, Wimbledon, Atonement, Wanted, The Conspirator, Becoming Jane, The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby, Atomic Blonde, Sherlock Gnomes, Lorna Doone, Foyle’s War, Watership Down, Shameless, The Sandman, and many more. His theatre credits include plays like Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story, Beauty and the Beast, and Macbeth. For his acting skills, James has been honored with numerous awards such as the British Academy Scotland Award, Empire Award, and London Critics Circle Film Award.
Jamesy Boy, Jimmy, Floyd
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
James went to St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary School in Jordanhill, Glasgow.
He also thought of joining the Catholic priesthood but didn’t join.
- Father – James McAvoy, Sr. (Builder, Formerly a Bus Driver)
- Mother – Elizabeth (née Johnstone) (Psychiatric Nurse)
- Siblings – Joy McAvoy (Younger Sister) (Singer), Donald McAvoy (Paternal Younger Half-Brother)
- Others – Mary (Maternal Grandmother), James Johnstone (Butcher) (Maternal Grandfather)
United Agents Ltd.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
67 kg or 148 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
James McAvoy dated –
- Emma Neilson (1995-2002) – From 1995 to 2002, James was romantically linked with fellow actress Emma Neilson.
- Anne-Marie Duff (2004-2016) – In October 2004, he started dating English actress Anne-Marie Duff, who had played his love interest in Shameless in the first two seasons. After dating for two years, they married on October 18, 2006, in a quiet ceremony. Anne gave birth to the couple’s first child, son Brendan in 2010. In May 2016, they had announced about their plan to divorce.
- Alexandra Shipp (2016) – In the summer of 2016, actors Alexandra Shipp and James were rumored to have hooked up together.
- Lisa Liberati (2016-Present) – Lisa Liberati and James first met on the set of the film Thriller Split, directed by M. Night Shyamalan. He played a prominent role in the film and Lisa was assisting her director Shyamalan. They made their relationship official via Instagram during a Halloween party in October 2017. In February 2022, during an interview, James confirmed that he and Lisa had secretly tied the knot.
Race / Ethnicity
Blue eyes and brown hair
James has appeared in commercials including Motorola, etc.
He has voiced the advertisement of a Samsung Jet ad.
Best Known For
Playing young Professor Charles Xavier in the superhero film series X-Men, and as Robbie Turner in the 2007 romantic drama war film Atonement.
James first appeared in the 1995 film The Near Room for his role as Kevin Savage.
First TV Show
In 1997, McAvoy played the role as Gavin Donald in the ITV’s police procedural series The Bill in an episode entitled “Rent.”
For the 2008 film Wanted, James McAvoy took help from the personal trainer, Glenn Chapman. Glenn worked on James’ body to help him look good by bulking him up. McAvoy did a lot of sprint intervals (around 20 seconds at a time). Also, he did bent-over rows, chin-ups, deadlifts and other exercises under the guidance of Glenn.
Whenever he had to do any shirtless scene, James used to do press-up intervals so that he looked buffed.
James McAvoy Favorite Things
- Film Director – Ken Loach
- Movies – The Goonies (1985), Kes (1969), My Name Is Joe (1998), Back to the Future (1985), The Great Escape (1963), Brief Encounter (1945)
- Art Gallery – The Tate Modern, London
- Book – The Old Testament
James McAvoy Facts
- When he was 7, his parents split. Since then, he is not in touch with his dad.
- James’ mom used to have poor health conditions when James was young, so he shifted to his maternal grandparents home.
- While studying, he used to work at a local bakery.
- James once thought of becoming a priest just because he wanted to travel the world.
- He started acting at the age of 15 via The Near Room (1995).
- In order to raise money for a charitable organization, he did a BASE jump from the world’s tallest building of a hospital.
- Actors Tom Ellis, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch are his good friends.
- He is an avid fan of the Celtic Football Club.
- His fans are called “McAvoyeurs.”
- He is allergic to horses.
- He has a lightsaber, which he believes is his most treasured possession.
- If he could go back to the past, he would like to go to an era when dragons roamed the Earth.
- He doesn’t have a middle name.
- He purchased Piaggio Vespa with his first paycheck.
- James has done voiceover work in video games like F1 2016 and 12 Minutes.