|James Valentine Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 5, 1978|
James Valentine is the lead guitarist of the band Maroon 5. As a songwriter, he has contributed to many songs like She Will Be Loved, If I Never See Your Face Again, Wake Up Call, and Give a Little More. He has also worked with artists like John Mayer, Jenny Lewis, PJ Morton, and The Yellow River Boys. He also has his very own line of official James Valentine signature guitars which was released by Ernie Ball Music Man. James also has a huge fan following with over 500k followers on Instagram and more than 300k followers on Twitter.
James Burgon Valentine
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
James Valentine attended the Lincoln Southeast High School in Lincoln, Nebraska. He later joined the University of Nebraska in Lincoln and then attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Father – Robert Valentine (Former Literature Lecturer at Brigham Young University)
- Mother – Shauna Valentine (Former Beauty Queen & School Teacher)
- Siblings – Lisa Clark (Older Sister), Amanda Valentine (Younger Sister) (Personal Stylist). He also has another older sister and an older brother.
James Valentine is managed by Career Artist Management, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Alternative Rock, Pop Rock, Funk Rock, Jazz Rock
Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Percussion
- J Records
- A&M /Octone Records
- Dangerbird Records
- 222 Records
- Interscope Records
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Valentine has dated –
- Katy Perry (2009) – In 2009, James was rumored to be in a relationship with American singer-songwriter Katy Perry.
- Alexis Novak – James is probably in a relationship with yoga instructor, Alexis Novak. Although the duo has remained tight-lipped about their speculated relationship, they have both posted few of their pictures on their respective Instagram accounts.
Race / Ethnicity
- Signature shoulder-length hair
- Light beard
- High forehead
James Valentine has either promoted or endorsed brands like –
- Ernie Ball Music Man
- 102.7 KIIS FM
- Sterling by Music Man
- Probett Guitars
He is of Mormon denomination.
Best Known For
- Being the lead guitarist of the rock-pop band Maroon 5
- His contribution as a songwriter to the band with many notable songs including She Will Be Loved, If I Never See Your Face Again, Wake Up Call, Misery, and Give a Little More
On June 25, 2002, as a member of the band Maroon 5, he and his bandmates released their debut album titled Songs About Jane with J Records and Octone Records. The album had 12 songs and became a sleeper hit.
First TV Show
In 2005, he made his first TV show appearance on the talk show Late Night with Conan O’Brien.
James Valentine Favorite Things
- Guitar Pedals – JHS, EarthQuaker, Strymon, Fulltone OCD, Full-Drive, Line 6 DL4
Source – Sweetwater.com
James Valentine Facts
- When he was a teenager, James was exposed to the music of Joe Satriani which encouraged him to play guitar, especially the song Surfing With The Alien.
- During his younger days, he played in orchestra and jazz bands.
- He was an Eagle Scout in school.
- James held the position of the President of the Student’s Council while studying at Lincoln Southeast High School in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- He has previously played with Lincoln-based bands including Montag, Kid Quarkstar, Mondello, and Happy Dog.
- During his initial days after moving to Los Angeles, James taught private guitar lessons from his home.
- Before becoming a band member of Maroon 5, he had played for the band Reel Big Fish for a couple of times.
- He has also contributed his guitar skills to the compositions of other great artists like for John Mayer‘s songs Stop This Train and In Repair, Jenny Lewis’ album Rabbit Fur Coat (2006), JJAMZ’s album Suicide Pact (2012), PJ Morton’s song Heavy, and The Yellow River Boys’ album Urinal St. Station (2013).
- James is very fond of horizontal striped T-shirts.
- He has supported an organization called The Bryan Bros. Foundation in the past.
- In 1996, he met John Mayer at the Berklee College of Music, Boston, Massachusetts and they became close friends.
- He is inspired by the guitar playing style of Nile Rodgers and Andy Summers.
- Few of his embarrassing moments include falling onstage.
- In June 2016, the first official James Valentine signature guitar was released by Ernie Ball Music Man.
- He also has his signature line of tennis racquets.
- Visit his band’s official website @ maroon5.com.
- Follow James Valentine on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by James Valentine / Instagram