|Jane Fonda Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||December 21, 1937|
Jane Fonda is an American actress, voiceover artist, producer, political activist, author, fitness guru, environmentalist, and former fashion model who is one of the most celebrated Hollywood actresses and has been the recipient of various accolades including Academy Awards, BAFTA Awards, Golden Globe Awards, Primetime Emmy Award, the AFI Life Achievement Award, the Honorary Golden Lion, and the Cecil B. DeMille Award. Some of her films include Coming Home, The China Syndrome, Julia, They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?, Klute, The Morning After, On Golden Pond, Barefoot in the Park, The Electric Horseman, The Dollmaker, and Tall Story.
Jayne Seymour Fonda
New York City, New York, United States
Jane went to Emma Willard School in Troy. She later got enrolled at the Greenwich Academy in Connecticut.
After graduating from high school, she got admission to the Vassar College in Poughkeepsie.
She also went to Actors Studio in Manhattan, United States.
Actress, Writer, Activist, Former Fashion Model, Fitness Guru, Voiceover Artist, Producer
- Father – Henry Fonda (Actor)
- Mother – Frances Ford Brokaw (Socialite)
- Siblings – Peter Fonda (Brother) (Actor), Frances de Villers Brokaw (Maternal Half-Sister)
- Others – Parky Devogelaere (Sister-in-law), Bridget Fonda (Niece) (Actress), Justin Fonda (Nephew) (Actor), Shirlee Fonda (Stepmother), Pilar Corrias (Neice) (Owner of Pilar Corrias Gallery in London), William Brace Fonda (Paternal Grandfather), Elma Herbetja (Paternal Grandmother), Eugene Ford Seymour (Maternal Grandfather), Mildred Sophie Bower (Maternal Grandmother)
Jane Fonda has been represented by –
- The Jane Fonda Foundation, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- Untitled Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jane Fonda has dated –
- Bruce Gilbert
- James Franciscus – Jane Fonda met actor James Franciscus in the drama class while in college. Jane was especially smitten by his passion for epic poem drama and by his ability to write one as well. She reportedly lost her virginity to James. However, about 2 years into their relationship, she was getting bored and his gift with prose was declining as well. Soon after, they were on their separate ways.
- Jose De Vicuna (1956) – Jane Fonda had a short affair with well-known Spanish director Jose De Vicuna in 1956.
- Claude Terrail – Jane was reported to have had an affair with Claude Terrail, who owned a number of three-star restaurants in Paris in the ’60s. They were seen side by side on quite a number of her visits to Paris.
- Giovanni Volpi (1957) – RUMOR
- Christian Marquand (1957) – She was RUMORed to have had a fling with French actor, screenwriter, and film director Christian Marquand in the year 1957.
- Sandy Whitelaw – Jane was introduced to Sandy Whitelaw in 1958 by her stepmother Afdera Franchetti. Sandy was one of Afdera’s former lovers. For one of their first dates, Sandy took Fonda to a party thrown by producer David Selznick (Sandy was working as a production assistant for Selznick) at the St. Regis hotel. They had an on-and-off relationship for a couple of years.
- William Wellman Jr. – Fonda was reported to be the actor William Wellman Jr’s first girlfriend.
- Robert Scheer – Jane had an affair with journalist and author Robert Scheer. In 1991, Scheer was working with Barry Golson to write her biography. By then, they had known each other for about 20 years. The biography was later shelved and it was reported that Fonda had prevailed over Scheer and his fellow writer.
- Michelle Phillips – Jane has reportedly dated The Mamas & the Papas band member Michelle Phillips. They broke up after dating for a brief time. However, the break-up was amicable as they continued to be close friends.
- Mick Jagger – If the reports are to be believed, Jane Fonda was one of the countless women the famous rock star Mick Jagger had seduced into his bed. She had run away with Rolling Stones frontman for a weekend.
- John Phillips – Fonda had a steamy affair with John Phillips, who was a lead vocalist and frontman of the rock band The Mamas & the Papas. He once claimed that Fonda had a threesome with him and actor Warren Beatty.
- Warren Beatty – Fonda first met Warren at the screen test for the movie, Parrish in 1959. Warren later revealed that they were like caged lions and indulged in quite steamy makeout sessions. Then, there was a cage of having a threesome involving Jane, Warren, and musician John Phillips. However, in an interview, years later, Jane would joke that she thought Warren was gay.
- Geraldo Rivera – Fonda had a short-lived fling with author and talk show host Geraldo Rivera. They had reportedly hooked up after a sporting event at the Madison Square Garden.
- Timmy Everett (1959-1961) – From 1959 to 1961, she was romantically involved with Timmy Everett, an actor, dancer, choreographer, and director.
- Andréas Voutsinas (1961-1963) – In 1961, she started going out with Greek actor and theater director Andréas Voutsinas but the duo eventually parted ways in 1963.
- Peter Mann (1961) – She was also linked with Peter Mann in 1961.
- Alain Delon (1963) – RUMOR
- Roger Vadim (1963-1973) – Jane first met film director Roger Vadim in December 1963 at her birthday party thrown by her French agent Olga Horstig. Apparently, Roger was the only guest at the party and he wanted to cast her in a sex comedy. Jane again met him at the Epinay Studios in Paris, where she was shooting and he had dropped in to meet a friend. That night, they went back to the hotel room but couldn’t have sex. In her biography, she would later claim that he sexually awakened her. The start of their relationship was less than ideal as within a year of their relationship, Vadim had blown away $150,000 Jane had inherited from her mother in gambling at casinos and racetracks. Also, Fonda had nagging suspicions that he was sleeping around. But she still decided to marry him in August 1965 in Las Vegas. In September 1968, she gave birth to a daughter Vanessa in Paris. She eventually divorced him in January 1973 after getting close to political activist Tom Hayden.
- Jay Sebring (1969) – She hooked up with Jay Sebring in 1969. He was a celebrity hairstylist and the founder of the hairstyling corporation Sebring International.
- Frank Gardner – Towards the end of the 70s, Jane found a mentor and new lover in political activist Frank Gardner. In a bid to establish her political activist credentials, she had got close to Gardner, who was married and involved in working with soldiers against the Vietnam War.
- Donald Sutherland (1970-1972) – Jane started an affair with actor Donald Sutherland in 1970. She had reportedly grown close to him while working in the movie, Klute. Another thing that tied them together was their work against the US government, which had prompted the FBI to keep a close eye on both. She would eventually dump him by saying that she was in that phase of life, which she couldn’t share with one man.
- Tom Hayden (1971-1990) – Fonda met Tom Hayden, an influential left activist in mid-1971. They met backstage after Jane had delivered an anti-war speech and she would later claim that there was an electric charge in that first meeting. Some weeks later, they had become lovers. After returning from Vietnam, where she had gone with Hayden’s support for the anti-war mission, she told Hayden that she wanted to have his child. Instead, they decided to get married with a ceremony held just three days after her divorce from Roger Vadim. In July 1973, she gave birth to a son, Troy O’Donovan Garity. In 1982, they decided to adopt an American-African teenage girl, Mary Luana Williams. Tom was jealous of her popularity. Even, the fact that she had poured millions to fund his political dreams didn’t change that. He would insist that his name should be written first (Tom and Jane) whenever they were mentioned together. There was also the case of him having affair behind her back. The night she turned 51, he told her that he was in love with another woman. She gathered all his belongings in a large plastic bag and tossed it out of the window. In June 1990, she got a divorce from him.
- Kris Kristofferson (1981) – It was RUMORed that she had an encounter with singer-songwriter and actor Kris Kristofferson in January 1981. They co-starred in the political thriller film, Rollover.
- Sven Nykvist – Jane went out with Swedish cinematographer Sven Nykvist just after his relationship with actress and model Mia Farrow came to an end. At the time of the affair, Jane was going through the most difficult phase of her marriage with Tom Hayden.
- Jimmy Smits (1988) – RUMOR
- Lorenzo Caccialanza (1989) – Jane had a short-lived affair with former soccer player and actor Lorenzo Caccialanza in 1989. They went out for about 6 months before she dumped him for Ted Turner.
- Ted Turner (1990-2001) – Jane first met business tycoon Ted Turner in 1988 for a breakfast to discuss a plausible movie on the Fonda family. However, Ted was distracted by her crumbling marriage with Tom Hayden and didn’t pay much attention to the movie. But Ted, who was known for his philandering ways, was smitten and actively pursued her. Although she wasn’t interested initially, she was thrilled that a successful businessman like Ted was trying to woo her. A couple of weeks after their first date, Ted took Jane to Montana, where he was looking to buy a sprawling ranch. She slept with him in a small cabin on the property. They got married in December 1991 at the ranch. However, the problems were there from the very start. Fonda would later reveal that Ted had cheated on him just a month after the wedding. She confronted him and hit him on the head with a mobile phone. Jane divorced Ted in May 2001 after getting fed up with his continuous cheating habits. She would get nearly $40 million in the divorce settlement. On his part, Ted would claim that he cried for 6 months after their split.
- Lynden Gillis (2007-2008) – Between 2007 and 2008, she was in a relationship with the widowered management consultant Lynden Gillis.
- Richard Perry (2009-2017) – Jane Fonda started dating music producer Richard Perry in October 2009. In a 2012 interview, she gushed about their love life insisting that she never had such a fulfilling love life. However, in January 2017, they decided to go separate ways stating the desire to live their life separately.
Race / Ethnicity
Jane Fonda is of Dutch, English, Scottish, French-Canadian, Italian, German, Belgian (Flemish), Norwegian and Cornish descent.
- Blue eyes
- Ageless beauty
36-25-35 in or 91.5-63.5-89 cm
6 (US) or 36 (EU)
9 (US) or 6.5 (UK) or 39.5 (EU)
Jane has done endorsement work and appeared in TV commercials for –
- L’Oréal Paris’ Age Re-Perfect product line (2006)
- Heifer International
- Lux Soap
Born again Christian
Best Known For
- Starring in several critically acclaimed and commercially successful movies.
- Her activist work during the Vietnam War and later for women’s rights and activism.
Jane made her film debut in 1960 with the rom-com film Tall Story in the role of June Ryder.
First TV Show
In 1982, Jane made a guest appearance in the sitcom 9 to 5 as O’Neil.
Jane has made changes to her workout routine to make it more suitable for her advanced age. For example, she has stopped doing aerobic exercises after her knee surgery and hip replacement procedure. She has consciously gone for exercises with lower intensity and has swapped running with walking. She has also given up on horse riding completely.
Jane exercises in the gym 4 times a week where she uses light weights and resistance bands for her exercises. She also likes to go for Pilates workout sessions. Plus, she enjoys a series of outdoor activities such as hiking and skiing.
Regarding food, she believes in eating only when you are hungry and evenly spreading calorie intake all over the day. Jane believes that you should consume one-third of calories in the morning, one-third in the midday, and the remaining one-third in the evening.
Take a look at Jane Fonda’s Workout DVD.
She tries to avoid sugar completely and makes sure she is eating only fresh food. Jane tries to keep her red meat consumption to the minimum. Fonda eats a lot of vegetables, fruits, fish, and chicken. For snacks, she likes to go for low-fat cottage cheese and red grapes.
Jane Fonda Favorite Things
- Films She Has Worked In – They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? (1969), Klute (1971), Coming Home (1978), Julia (1977), The Dollmaker (1984)
- TV Shows – Empire, Masters of Sex, Homeland, American Crime, The voice
Jane Fonda Facts
- In 1997, the Empire UK magazine placed her on #83 on the list of “Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time”.
- In 1995, the Empire magazine had her on 21st position in the list comprising of “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History”.
- In November 1970, she was arrested by the authorities at the Cleveland Airport for having kicked a patrolman and a customs agent after they tried to detain her for having some 2,000 capsules in 105 bottles. However, she wasn’t charged with smuggling as she had the prescription for those capsules.
- In the Our Constellation feature of the Premiere Magazine, she was placed at the 32nd position in the list of “Greatest Movie Stars of All Time.”
- In 1972, she created a major controversy by posing on the North Vietnamese anti-aircraft guns that were used against American aircraft during the Vietnam War. She was termed as a traitor by many in the US for her antics.
- She turned down the role of the female lead in Doctor Zhivago (1965) as it was to be shot primarily in Spain for 9 months and she didn’t want to stay away from family for that long. She would later reveal that this was the decision she regretted the most.
- In 1994, she established Georgia Campaign for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention (G-CAAP), which gives safe sex education and supports teenage mothers before, after, and during childbirth through various endeavors.
- In 2011, the Men’s Health magazine had her on the 9th spot in the list of “100 Hottest Women of All Time”.
- At the book signing event for her autobiography in Kansas City in April 2005, a Vietnam War veteran spit tobacco juice on her face for her controversial stand on Vietnam War.
- She was told that her mother Frances Seymour Brokaw died of heart failure. To keep her suicide secret from Jane, the newspaper and magazine subscriptions were canceled and staff and students at her high school were told not to discuss it.
- In April 2005, she released her autobiography, My Life So Far, in which she divided her life into three parts, each 30 years long.
- In September 2009, she was caught up in a controversy after she signed a letter protesting focus on Tel Aviv at the Toronto Film Festival. She later claimed that she regretted the language used in the letter, which was signed by 1500 well-known personalities.
- Jane and her father hold the distinction of being the first father and daughter duo to be nominated for the Oscars in the same year (1982).
- During the 2021 Golden Globes, she had received the Cecil B. DeMille Award.
- In January 2021, she received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.