Ilford, Essex, England
Malibu, California, U.S.
She finished her elementary education from a school in East Grinstead.
Jane also studied ballet at Bush Davies School of Dance.
Dancer, Model, Actress, Comedian, Singer, Producer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Colin Leeves (Electrician / Engineer)
- Mother – Ruth Leeves (Nurse)
- Siblings – Richard Leeves (Brother), Alison (Sister), Katie (Sister)
3 Arts Entertainment
Various / Cabaret
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
- Grant Shaud (1988–1990) – Jane Leeves was introduced to actor Grant by her roommate Faith Ford, who was also Grant’s co-star in the TV series Murphy Brown. After the two started dating, Jane also got her first recurring role in the same TV series. Jane and Grant moved in and lived together for a year and as everybody speculated that the two might get married, Grant confessed he was not ready for a lifetime commitment. The couple split amicably soon after.
- Marshall Coben (1996–Present) – At a Christmas party organized for the cast of Frasier, Jane met CBS Paramount Executive, Marshall Coben. The couple was so charmed by each other’s company that literally everybody at the party realized they were completely smitten by each other. They got married in a simple ceremony at Jane’s hometown in East Grinstead in 1996. The couple has two children together conceived with the help of IVF procedure and delivered through a C-section: daughter, Isabella Kathryn Coben (b. January 2001) and son Finn William Leeves Coben (b. December 2003).
Race / Ethnicity
She has English ancestry.
- Porcelain smooth skin
- Full lips, slightly droopy at the edges
- Glossy, chestnut hair
34-27-36 in or 86-68.5-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU) or 10 (UK)
10 (US) or 7.5 (UK) or 40.5 (EU)
She is the permanent spokesperson of Tellurian Baby products, a baby skin care line established by Jane Leeves herself. A part of the profits is contributed to charities helping children in need.
She was featured in the commercials for –
She posed in a print ad of the NOH8 campaign.
Her religious views are not confirmed.
Best Known For
- Playing an immigrant and live-in physical therapist, Daphne Moon in Frasier from 1993 to 2004.
- Played a never-married beautician turned private detective, Joy Scroggs on TV Land comedy, Hot in Cleveland from 2010 to 2015.
As a Singer
She has given cabaret performances early in her life.
Her first theatrical film was Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life where she played the role of a dancer in 1983. It was an uncredited role.
First TV Show
Appeared in various comic sketches in four episodes of The Benny Hill Show from 1983 to 1985 as one of Benny Hill’s angels.
Fitness Profile –
- Jane started learning ballet at a very young age and pursued it till she was 19, so she was always lean and strong owing to her dancer’s body.
- When she turned 31, the doctors found a lump in her thyroid and suggested she get it removed. Other than a thyroid supplement, she had to consume a medicine to stabilize her metabolism and ensure her weight does not fluctuate.
- Being an actor, she always makes time for exercise every day and switches between weight training, swimming, walking, cycling, aerobics or simply walking on the treadmill.
- After developing enough awareness about exercise by working with different trainers, she put together a home gym that has a big mirror, a ballet bar, free weights and a treadmill. Jane claims that time passes by very quickly watching cooking shows while walking on the treadmill on a steep incline for 45 minutes.
- Jane also prefers to take the stairs at malls and public buildings and will happily climb hundreds of them at a time.
- She showcased her strength and flexibility in an aerobics video in the 1980s.
- She is not selective about food preferences and eats everything in moderation.
- She does not have a sweet tooth so easily avoids refined sugar as much as she can.
- Jane particularly keeps the bad stuff out of her home, namely, corn, white flour, anything with trans-fats and all processed foods with long shelf life motivated by the intention to teach her children good eating habits.
- She cooks dinner for her son and daughter using fresh vegetables every evening. Washing and chopping vegetables are also few of her favorite activities to unwind after the day’s work while running through the lines or plans in her head for her next working day.
Jane Leeves Favorite Things
- Favorite Meal – English Shepherd’s Pie
- Stress Buster – Chopping vegetables
- British Delicacy She Misses – Jellied Eels
- Quick Fix Meal – Basic Roast Chicken
- Way to Express Happiness – Dancing
- Indulgences – Cheese and Vodka
- Premium Designers – Donna Karen, Calvin Klein, Galliano
- Dressing Style – Neutral Colors and Clean Lines in Stitching
- Childhood Memory – Christmas Mornings
- Accent – She loves the Asian-Indian accent and finds it both elegant and funny.
- Life Lesson – Don’t let anybody tell you, you can’t do something. It just means they can’t.
- Actress She Admires for Aging Gracefully – Helen Mirren
Source – TheFreeLibrary, Parade, TasteOfHome, People, People, Chicago Tribune, Stitcher.com, Daily Mail
Jane Leeves Facts
- Jane’s drive made her parents support her through dance and drama school even though they could not afford to.
- She wanted to be a performer since the age of 5.
- When Jane turned 15, her parents went through a financial crunch and could not pay for her ballet classes anymore. So, she fought for a very competitive, full scholarship and earned it.
- Peter O’Toole in Lawrence of Arabia (1962) was one of the major influences which made Jane consider acting seriously.
- Jane’s first few years in USA were ridden with dire poverty. After paying for her acting classes with a part-time job, she did not even have enough money left for food.
- She had two nervous breakdowns during the 1980’s and battled with depression during her struggle as an actor.
- She is particularly so close to her Frasier co-star, Peri Gilpin that they are next door neighbors, are Godmothers to each other’s daughters and established a production company together called Bristol Cities.
- Jim Carrey, Ellen DeGeneres, and Winona Ryder were enrolled in the acting classes Jane used to go to, all of whom were completely unknown in Hollywood at that time.
- Jane’s earnings from Frasier started with £22,000 per episode during initial seasons, raised to £45,000 pounds and eventually peaked at £275,000 per episode. After the show ended, she continued to make 6 figures a year as residual payments from syndicated re-runs.
- Jane is afraid of using Botox and is completely against cosmetic surgery. She openly criticizes Meg Ryan, Melanie Griffith, Pamela Anderson and all other celebrities for getting work done on their bodies stating that getting a ‘fish face’ will only make an aging actress even more unemployable.
- Jane’s competitive nature often made her push her body beyond the point of discomfort while exercising. She even trained through an injury when younger.
- Close friend Wendie Malick revealed on The Queen Latifah Show that despite looking so elegant, Jane was extremely clumsy, constantly rammed into objects, easily got herself bruised every other day, and disturbingly flexible.
- While booking a hair stylist, she spends more than £1100 per sitting.
- She abandoned the idea of a full-time dance career after she tore the ligaments in one of her ankles by falling off the stairs.
- Jane left for USA (from UK) with $1000 in her wallet and did various odd jobs to pay her way through acting classes.
- Follow Jane on Twitter and Instagram.