Valerie Anne Bertinelli
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Valerie Bertinelli went to the Clarkston Middle School. She has also studied at the Granada Hills High School.
She later got enrolled at the Tami Lynn School of Artists in Los Angeles and graduated in 1978.
- Father – Andrew Bertinelli (General Motors Executive)
- Mother – Nancy Bertinelli
- Siblings – Mark Bertinelli (Older Brother) (Died from accidental poisoning about 17 months after Valerie’s birth), David Bertinelli (Brother), Patrick Bertinelli (Brother), Drew Bertinelli (Brother)
- Others – Nazzareno Bertinelli (Paternal Grandfather), Angeline/Angelina Bertinelli (Paternal Grandmother), Lester Vogdes Carvin (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Adams Chambers (Maternal Grandmother)
Valerie Bertinelli is represented by Innovative Artists L.A.
5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
67 kg or 148 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Valerie Bertinelli has dated
- Scott Colomby – Valerie started dating actor Scott Colomby in the late seventies. They were in a relationship for about two and a half years. She has claimed in her several interviews that her relationship with Scott helped her kick her drug abuse. But after the end of their relationship and subsequent courtship with Eddie Van Halen got her back into drug abuse.
- Steven Spielberg (1980) – Valerie had auditioned for a role in the action adventure movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark. She didn’t get the role in the movie but on the plus side, she went on some dates with the movie’s director, Steven Spielberg. Apparently, after the day of her audition, she got flowers from the iconic director who also asked her out. They were pictured out together on a number of occasions.
- Dirk Benedict – Valerie has had a fling with actor Dirk Benedict. Their brief affair was confirmed by Valerie herself in her autobiography, Losing It.
- Eddie Van Halen (1980-2007) – Valerie started dating guitarist and songwriter Eddie Van Halen in 1980. She had met Eddie while she was visiting her parents during the actors’ strike that year. Her brother Patrick had the passes to Van Halen concert and she got to meet him backstage at the show. Valerie already had a crush on him and he had seen her show and wanted to meet her. After the concert, they sat down and talked for hours and realized that they had a lot in common. Their relationship moved ahead at a quick speed as she met his parents soon after they officially started dating. In April 1981, they got married in a romantic wedding ceremony. At the time of their marriage, Valerie was just 20 years old. The ceremony was held at St. Paul’s Catholic Church and reception was held at historic Grayhall mansion in Beverly Hills. Their marriage was fairly turbulent and was marked by rampant drug abuse and extramarital affairs. In fact, it has been claimed that he had gotten intoxicated just after the wedding ceremony and held over toilet bowl by his new bride, while his band manager Noel Monk considered calling off the wedding. In 1991, she gave birth to their son, Wolfgang. She and Eddie separated in 2001 as she got fed up with his drug abuse and smoking habit. She had found cocaine in his wallet while he was visiting her on the set of the TV show Touched by an Angel. She gave him an ultimatum to choose her or drugs, and when responded by dropping F-bomb, she realized it was time to move on. She filed for divorce in 2005 and it was finalized in December 2007.
- Tom Vitale (2004-Present) – Bertinelli started going out with financial planner Tom Vitale in 2004. She had met him for the first time at a wine tasting fundraiser. Vitale was a friend of her brother. At the event, they slipped away separately to check the score of the World Series and ended up watching the match at the hotel bar together. Vitale had a crush on her since his teens when he used to watch her on One Day at a Time. He even confessed to kissing her image on the TV. Shortly after watching that match, they started going out. In June 2009, she even took him as her date to her former husband Van Halen’s wedding to Janie Liszewski. They got married in January 2011 in a lavish wedding held in Malibu, California.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Italian ancestry on her father’s side and on her mother’s side, she is of English descent.
Valerie Bertinelli has had a lucrative endorsement deal with Jenny Craig, a popular weight loss and management company. As part of the endorsement deal, she starred in a number of TV commercials for them.
She has also done promotional work for Cindy Crawford’s Meaningful Beauty Ultra anti-aging skin care system, appearing in commercials as well as infomercials for the brand.
In 2014, she lent her voice to the TV commercial for L’Oreal Butterfly Mascara.
At the age of 12, she was cast in a TV commercial for J.C. Penny.
Valerie was raised in a Roman Catholic household. However, her religious views as an adult aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Barbara Cooper Royer in the long-running NBC sitcom, One Day at a Time. She was 15 years old when the show debuted in 1975. Also, she appeared in 208 out of the 209 episodes.
- Having played the role of Melanie Moretti in the highly acclaimed American sitcom, Hot in Cleveland.
- Having hosted many popular shows such as Kids Baking Championship and Valerie’s Home Baking on Food Network.
In 1979, Valerie made her theatrical film debut in the comedy family movie, C.H.O.M.P.S.
First TV Show
In 1974, Valerie Bertinelli made her first TV show appearance in The Flag episode of the drama series, Apple’s Way.
With the help of a healthy and more active lifestyle, Valerie managed to lose 50 pounds of weight. She had started using a pedometer and tried to make sure that she walks 10,000 steps every day. She also made sure that she exercised daily.
She did everything possible to make sure that she doesn’t miss out on her workouts including getting dressed up in workout clothes in the morning to remind her that there is a workout session to be done.
Valerie has also got a handle on her dietary intake. After having tried several fad diets and suffering from their disastrous results, she has refrained from any type of diet. She just tries to focus on portion control, which allows her to indulge in her cravings. So, when she goes to a restaurant, she splits entrées and asks them to pack the leftovers, which she eats in other meals. She also drinks a lot of water. In fact, when she is assailed by unwanted cravings, she drinks a glass of water.
Also, she likes to start her day with a cup of bulletproof coffee. Plus, he tries to eat foods in their natural states and if she is buying chicken or a type of meat, she ensures that it is antibiotics free. She consciously tries to find what her food is made of. And, for the same purpose, she makes salad dressings on her own.
Valerie Bertinelli Favorite Things
- Indulgences – Blue Cheese-Stuffed Olives and a perfect Martini, Pasta Alla Vongole with Roasted Asparagus, and Mushrooms with Spicy Chili Salt
- Dessert – Limoncello Challah Bread Pudding
- First Concert – Elton John‘s The Bitch is Back tour
- Place To Live – Italy
- NFL Teams – Cleveland Browns and New Orleans Saints
- Cocktails – Champagne, zinfandel or a dirty martini
- Color – Yellow
- Snack – Jenny Craig’s red velvet cake
- Dream Job – A judge on Iron Chef America
Source – Food Network, US Magazine
Valerie Bertinelli Facts
- While studying in school, she was a member of the vocal group known as Peppermint Rainbows.
- She was a cheerleader while studying in junior high. Her mother used to help her in creating the outfit.
- Valerie used her free time during the 1980 actors’ strike to roof a house with her brother Drew.
- She has got letter ‘W’ inked on her left ankle in honor of her son, Wolfgang.
- She turned down several roles in the 80s as she was asked to do gratuitous nudity in those projects.
- The VH1 placed her on the 29th spot in the list featuring 100 Greatest Kid Stars.
- She had auditioned for the role of Iris in the cult hit movie, Taxi Driver but she lost out to Jodie Foster.
- In August 2012, she was honored with her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6912 Hollywood Boulevard.
- She has been pretty open about her drug abuse in her younger days. However, she eventually quit her habit and has been sober for a long time.
- In 2008, she published her autobiography Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time. She followed it up with Finding It: And Satisfying My Hunger for Life Without Opening the Fridge in 2009.
- Due to her father’s job, she spent her childhood living all over the country. Her family lived in Los Feliz section of Los Angeles; Claymont, Delaware; Shreveport, Louisiana; Oklahoma City and Clarkston, Michigan.
- In April 2010, she participated in the Boston Marathon to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Her mother had got her enrolled in an acting class in a bid to take care of her shy nature.
- During her appearance on Who Do You Think You Are? in 2014, she found out that she had ancestry links to King Edward I of England.
- Visit her official website @ valeriebertinelli.com.
- Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Mark Coggins / Flickr / CC BY 2.0