Janet Vera Bull
Brentford, Middlesex, England
Janet Street-Porter went to the Peterborough Primary and Junior Schools in Fulham.
In 1958, she got admission at the Lady Margaret Grammar School for Girls (which has been renamed as Lady Margaret School). In 1964, she completed her school education with 8 O-Levels and 3 A-Levels in Art, History, and English.
She later got enrolled at the Architectural Association School of Architecture, where she studied for 2 years.
Media personality, Journalist, and Broadcaster
- Father – Stanley W G Bull (Electrical engineer and served as a sergeant in the Royal Corps of Signals during World War II)
- Mother – Cherry Cuff Ardern (School dinner lady and clerical assistant)
- Siblings – Patricia Balsom (Younger Sister) (Passed away in 2006 due to lung and brain cancer)
Janet Street-Porter is represented by London based United Agents Ltd.
6 ft or 183 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Janet Street-Porter has dated –
- Tim Street-Porter – Janet Street-Porter first met photographer Tim Street-Porter when she was studying at the Architectural Association School of Architecture. She revealed that Tim caught her having an affair with Tony Elliott in course of their marriage. He eventually decided to divorce her in 1974. Their marriage lasted for about 6 to 7 years before they decided to go separate ways.
- Tony Elliott (1974-1977) – After the end of her first marriage, she moved in with Time Out founder Tony Elliott. While she had moved in with Tony, she was having an affair with an unnamed publisher. Their marriage eventually came to an end, as they struggled to find time for each other amidst their busy work schedules. They officially separated in 1977. It was also claimed that Tony was feeling uncomfortable with her burgeoning fame.
- Frank Cvitanovich – Janet next got married to Canadian filmmaker Frank Cvitanovich. Another of her marriage came to an end due to her adulterous behavior. Frank caught her having affair with Tony James and decided it was time for him to look in a different direction.
- Tony James – Janet’s affair with Tony James, who was a member of the 80s pop group Sigue Sigue Sputnik was steamy and fairly short-lived.
- David Sorkin – In December 1996, she got married to an unemployed salesman David Sorkin in Las Vegas. She had turned 50 at the time of their marriage and had met merely 2 months earlier. She later revealed that their marriage was driven by her mid-life crisis. However, their marriage came to an end after 20 months.
- Peter Spanton – In her June 2013 article that was written for Daily Mail, she revealed that she was in 12 years long relationship at that time, and going by another Daily Mail article, her partner was restaurateur Peter Spanton.
Race / Ethnicity
On her mother’s side, she has Welsh ancestry.
Dark Brown (Natural)
She tends to gravitate towards auburn hair makeover.
- Tall height
- Fringed hairdo
Janet Street-Porter has not done promotional work for any brand.
Her religious views aren’t known publicly.
Best Known For
- Having served as an editor and editor-at-large of publication, The Independent on Sunday.
- Having appeared in a couple of reality TV shows such as Celebrity MasterChef and I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!
- Having appeared as a regular panelist in the ITV talk show, Loose Women.
In 1966, Janet made her theatrical film debut in the mystery drama movie, Blow-Up. However, her work in the movie wasn’t credited.
First TV Show
In October 1973, she made her first TV show appearance on the talk series, Russell Harty Plus.
Janet maintains an active and healthy lifestyle to stay ahead of the advancing age. She makes sure that she is exercising on a daily basis. Janet loves playing tennis for her exercise needs. She also likes to go swimming in the sea and go out for a walk.
Regarding diet, she is not a fan of banning anything from her diet. She loves eating everything but makes sure that everything is eaten in moderation.
Her daily diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – A bowl of raspberries, blueberries, grapefruit, and pomegranate and a toast with homemade marmalade. She washes it down with a cup of strong black coffee.
- Lunch – She brings her cooked risotto along as she doesn’t like the food served in the studio.
- Snack – A slice of homemade cake.
- Dinner – She cooks a sea bass or a lamb for the last meal of the day.
Janet Street-Porter Favorite Things
Her favorite things aren’t known.
Janet Street-Porter Facts
- In a poll conducted by Specsavers opticians in 2004, she was voted as the Sexiest Female Spectacles Wearer.
- In 2016, Janet was included in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List as she was awarded CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) for her contributions to broadcasting and journalism.
- In 2009, Janet created a controversy after she wrote a column about Ian Tomlinson, who collapsed and died after being hit by a police officer. In her column, she wrote about his alcoholism and his other personal problems.
- She is a well-known rambler, which is a term used for an individual who loves walking in the countryside. Starting from 1994, she served as a president of the Ramblers’ Association for 2 years.
- In June 2017, she revealed that she was a victim of a sexual assault in her 20s when a fellow journalist and friend invited her to his flat and took advantage of her.
- While she was studying for her A-levels, she had to undertake illegal abortion procedure.
- Visit her official website @ janetstreetporter.com.
- Follow her on Twitter.
Featured Image by Jem Stone / Flickr / CC BY-2.0