|Jay Ellis Quick Info
|6 ft 2½ in
|Date of Birth
|December 27, 1981
Before he started his career in the show business industry, Jay Ellis had already found success as a model by working with some of the leading sports brands such as Nike and Adidas. He later moved to Los Angeles and soon managed to earn guest appearances in a number of TV shows. His first big gig was the comedy-drama show, The Game, in which he was a member of the main cast. Later, he became a household name with his work in HBO show, Insecure.
Wendell Ramone Ellis Jr.
Sumter, South Carolina, United States
Jay Ellis went to the Metro Christian Academy for two years. He also studied at the Booker T. Washington for two years.
Overall, he studied in 12 schools over the period of 13 years. He eventually completed his high school education and got enrolled at the Concordia University in Oregon. He graduated Suma Cum Laude from the university.
Actor, Former Model
- Father – Wendell Ellis Sr. (Served in the U.S. Air Force)
- Mother – Paula Ellis (Worked as a Finance Executive)
- Siblings – Jay Ellis is the only child.
Jay Ellis is represented by Beverly Hills-based United Talent Agency.
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jay Ellis has dated –
- Brittany Daniel (2014) – In the early months of 2014, Jay was linked with actress Brittany Daniel. It was claimed that they had grown close while working on the popular TV show, The Game.
- Nina Senicar (2015-Present) – In 2015, Jay started going out with Serbian actress and model, Nina Senicar. They had been spotted together on a couple of occasions in Los Angeles. She also shared a picture of them holidaying together in Belgrade. The couple got engaged in January 2019 and tied the knot on July 9, 2022, in Tuscany, Italy. They have a daughter named Nora Grace (b. November 8, 2019).
Race / Ethnicity
He has African-American ancestry.
Short trimmed hair
Jay Ellis has used his social media activity to promote various products and brands such as Cricket Nation.
Also, while working as a model, he worked with popular clothing brands such as Adidas, Air Jordan, Nike, and Columbia Sportswear.
Best Known For
- Having played the role of Lawrence Walker in the comedy-drama TV series, Insecure
- Having appeared in a number of popular TV shows such as How I Met Your Mother, Grey’s Anatomy, NCIS: Los Angeles, and Masters of Sex
In 1995, he made his theatrical film debut in the romantic drama movie, Once Upon a Time… When We Were Colored. However, his work in the movie wasn’t credited.
He made his first credited theatrical film appearance in the anthology comedy movie, Movie 43, which was released in 2013.
First TV Show
In 2005, Jay Ellis made his first TV show appearance in Watershed episode of the science fiction series, Invasion. However, his appearance was uncredited.
He made his first credited TV show appearance in Hang in There, Baby episode of the comedy-drama series, Related, in 2005.
Jay Ellis Favorite Things
- Sport To Watch – Football
- Sitcom Intro Song – Fresh Prince of Bel-Air! theme
- Basketball Player – Michael Jordan
Jay Ellis Facts
- While in the freshman year of the high school, he was a part of the school’s football team.
- He also played basketball in high school as well as at the Concordia University.
- After graduating from the university, Jay Ellis started working as a public relations intern for the Portland Trail Blazers. It was during his time with the team that they were embroiled in the Jail Blazers scandal.
- After completing his internship, he decided to become a model and got his start by working with Portland-based companies.
- In 2004, he moved to Los Angeles to kickstart his acting career. By the following year, he had earned cameo appearances in TV shows.
- Ellis earned his big breakthrough in 2015 after he was cast as a main character in the HBO comedy show, Insecure.
- His great performances in Insecure helped him bag the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series award at the NAACP Image Awards.
- In 2017, he decided to collaborate with amfAR, a leading HIV /AIDS research organization, to tackle the rising rate of infections in the African-American community.
- While studying in university, he held the position of student body president.
- Follow Jay Ellis on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Jay Ellis / Instagram