|Jim Rome Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 14, 1964|
Jim Rome has managed to become one of the most popular and influential radio personalities with the years of hard work and persistence. His interest in sports was fueled by his sports-loving family. He started his radio career in the early 90s and since then, he has managed to attract over 2 million audiences for his signature daily show. As per the Talkers Magazine, his is the #21 most listened to talk radio show in the United States which is not bad for someone who started as a traffic accident reporter and often had to rely on fake reports to make his show interesting.
James Phillip Rome
Jim, J’ Ro, Romy, Rome, Van Smack, V-Smack
Los Angeles, California, United States
Jim Rome attended Calabasas High School for his high school education and after graduating in 1982, he got enrolled at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB). He graduated from the university in 1987 with a degree in communications.
Sports Radio Talk Show Host
- Father – Jay Rome (Operated Manufacturing Business)
- Mother – Jan Rome
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jim Rome has dated –
- Janet Hangman (1997-Present) – Jim first met his wife Janet while they were working together for the radio station XTRA. They got married in July 1997 in a romantic wedding attended by their family and close friends. Over the course of their marriage, Janet has given birth to their 2 sons – Logan and Jake.
Race / Ethnicity
Van Dyke beard
Best Known For
- The immense popularity of his radio show, The Jim Rome Show, which is heard over 200 stations in the U.S. and Canada and whose listening audience stands at over 2.5 million
- Having hosted a number of popular TV talk shows such as Jim Rome Is Burning, Talk2, The FX Sports Show, and The Last Word
In 1996, he made his theatrical film debut in the animated sports comedy movie, Space Jam. The movie had Michael Jordan in the lead role.
First TV Show
In 1997, Jim Rome made his first TV show appearance on the popular talk show, Late Night with Conan O’Brien.
Jim Rome Favorite Things
- Music Band – The Replacements
Source – IMDb
Jim Rome Facts
- He often addresses his audience as ‘Clones’.
- While studying at Calabasas High School, Jim used to play tennis.
- His love for sports was fostered by his parents who regularly used to play tennis and had season tickets for the Los Angeles Kings hockey team. He also used to watch boxing matches with his father on Saturday nights.
- He didn’t score good grades while he was studying at the University of California-Santa Barbara as he used to spend most of his time working as a radio station intern.
- After graduating from university, he worked in his family’s manufacturing business for a short while.
- Jim Rome eventually started working at the station KTMS in Santa Barbara. He had interned with the station while studying in the university.
- While working as a traffic-update reporter with KTMS, he often used to add fake accident reports to his broadcast to make things interesting. However, in his defense, Jim was often pressurized by his boss to report accidents.
- In December 1990, he started working with San Diego-based XTRA. He had joined the radio station as a part-timer but within the space of one and a half years, he had started working as the host of The Jim Rome Show in the prime midday slot.
- His beginning as a TV talk show host wasn’t good. The NFL quarterback Jim Everett flipped the table over and pushed Rome to the ground after having got enraged by Rome’s goading. Rome was repeatedly calling him Chris, after the female tennis player Chris Evert, taking a dig at Everett’s manhood.
- Rome was heavily criticized for having gone too far with Everett. He didn’t take any legal action and issued a public apology.
- After ice hockey legend Gordie Howe announced that he wanted to play a shift with Detroit Vipers so as to lay claim on the record of having played for 6 decades, Rome offered a reward of $3,000 to any player that would take Howe permanently out of the game. Rome later tried to settle the controversy by claiming that he was making a joke.
- After having poked fun at horse racing for years, he started developing an interest in the sport after interviewing the Hall of Fame jockey Kent Desormeaux on a couple of occasions for his radio show.
- He eventually founded the LLC stable and named it Jungle Racing. By 2012, he had become either a part-owner or a full owner of 15 horses. His horses have won several high profile racing events.
- Visit his official website @ jimrome.com.
Featured Image by Jim Rome / Instagram