|Joey Chestnut Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||November 25, 1983|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Joey Chestnut is an American competitive eater, construction engineer, and voice actor who was ranked 1st in the world by Major League Eating as of 2022. At the 92nd Annual Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest held in New York City on July 4, 2007, he defeated 6-time defending champion Takeru “Tsunami” Kobayashi by consuming a world record 66 hot dogs and buns (HDB) in 12 minutes. Prior to that, Joey Chestnut had lost to Kobayashi consecutively in 2005 and 2006. After winning 8 straight titles, he was defeated by Matt Stonie at the 2015 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. However, Joey soon regained the championship belt from Stonie on July 4, 2016, by eating 70 hot dogs. He went on to win his 16th title by eating 62 HDB on July 4, 2023.
Joseph Christian Chestnut
Fulton County, Kentucky, United States
Westfield, Hamilton County, Indiana, United States
Joey Chestnut got enrolled at San Jose State University and graduated with a degree in engineering and construction management.
Competitive Eater, Construction Engineer, Voice Actor
- Father – Merlin Chestnut
- Mother – Alicia Chestnut
- Siblings – Joey has 5 siblings.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, he has a net worth of $2.5 Million.
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
104 kg or 229 lbs
Since he started eating competitively, his weight has fluctuated from 102–109 kg (225–240 lbs).
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joey Chestnut has dated –
- Neslie Ricasa – He dated Neslie Ricasa for many years and proposed to her just before defending his title in the 2014 Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. However, in early 2015, the duo broke up before their scheduled wedding date.
Race / Ethnicity
Joey Chestnut Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in Vallejo in Solano County, California.
- He was a student at San Jose State University when he entered the competitive eating scene in 2005 and gave a break-out performance in the deep-fried asparagus eating championship by beating the high-ranked eater Rich LeFevre by eating 6.3 pounds (2.9 kg) of asparagus in 11.5 minutes.
- In 2005, Joey Chestnut participated in Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest and ate 32 HDB. He was placed 3rd behind Takeru Kobayashi and Sonya Thomas.
- He appeared on a YouTube video in 2007 and was seen drinking a gallon of milk in 41 seconds.
- Joey Chestnut competed in Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York, on July 4, 2007, and defeated Takeru Kobayashi, ending Takeru’s 6-year consecutive streak.
- In 2009, he was part of Man v. Food in San Jose, California, and ate Iguana’s Burritozilla: a five lb (2.3 kg), 17-inch burrito in 3 minutes, 10 seconds.
- He defended his title and won his 6th consecutive hot dog eating contest in 2012 and stated, “I will not stop until I reach 70. This sport isn’t about eating. It’s about drive and dedication, and at the end of the day, hot dog eating challenges both my body and my mind.”
- He made a guest appearance on the 12th episode of Hell’s Kitchen season 10 on July 16, 2012.
- Joey Chestnut trains his body by fasting and by stretching his stomach with milk, water, and protein supplements. He has revealed that he trains for hot dog eating competitions by cooking hot dogs at his house and then eating them in a competition style. He generally starts with 40 hot dogs and then gradually increases the number. He has compared his training to running or lifting weights for other athletes.
- He guest-starred by voicing himself in an episode titled The Hot Dog Dog! of the animated comedy mystery television series Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? in October 2020.
- Joey Chestnut once said, “It doesn’t matter how many years I’ve won, I can’t get complacent. I still get nervous, especially when July gets closer. I’m counting down the hours before it starts.”
Featured Image by Ethan / Flickr / CC BY 2.0