|John Daly Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||April 28, 1966|
John Daly is an American professional golfer who has primarily plied his trade on the PGA (Professional Golfers’ Association) Tour and the European Tour. As of December 2021, he had won 18 titles in his professional career. At the majors, his best performances have included winning the PGA Championship in 1991 and The Open Championship in 1995. In October 2005, he had achieved his peak world ranking of number 23. He had won the ‘PGA Tour Rookie of the Year’ award in 1991 and the ‘PGA Tour Comeback Player of the Year’ award in 2004. He owns a golf course design company called JD Designs. He has also written and recorded 2 music albums titled My Life (2002) and I Only Know One Way (2010).
John Patrick Daly
Wild Thing, Long John, Big John, JD, The Lion
Carmichael, Sacramento County, California, United States
He splits his time between Dardanelle, Yell County, Arkansas, United States, and Clearwater Beach, Florida, United States.
John had attended the Helias Catholic High School, a private, Roman Catholic high school in Jefferson City, Missouri, from the middle of 10th grade. He had completed his final 3 months of high school at the Dardanelle High School, a comprehensive public secondary school in Dardanelle, Arkansas, in the spring of 1984.
After his high school graduation, he had joined the University of Arkansas, a public land-grant research university in Fayetteville, Arkansas, on a golf scholarship.
- Father – Jim Daly (Former Construction Worker for Industrial Plants)
- Mother – Lou Daly
- Siblings – Jamie Daly (Older Brother). He also has an older sister.
John Daly’s net worth had been $2 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
100 kg or 220.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John has dated –
- Dale Crafton (1986–1990) – John had started dating a model named Dale Crafton in 1986. The couple got married in December 1987 and got divorced in 1990.
- Bettye Fulford (1991–1995) – John began dating a hotel convention planner named Bettye Fulford in 1991 and they got married in the summer of 1992. They have a daughter together named Shynah Hale Daly (b. June 10, 1992). In December 1992, he was charged with third-degree assault for allegedly throwing Bettye into a wall at their home. However, Bettye did not wish to pursue the matter and John had denied the allegations. The couple had parted ways in 1995.
- Paulette Dean (1994–1999) – John had started dating another model named Paulette Dean in 1994 and they got married in January 1995. They have a daughter together named Sierra Lynn Daly (b. June 1, 1995). The couple got divorced in 1999.
- Sherrie Miller (2000–2007) – John had started dating Sherrie Miller in 2000 and they got married on July 29, 2001. They have a son together named John Patrick Daly II (b. July 23, 2003). In June 2007, the couple was involved in a fight at a restaurant in Memphis, Tennessee. John had alleged that Sherrie had attacked him with a steak knife later that night. Sherrie had fled the scene the following day and had taken their son with her. The pair had parted ways soon after and in December 2010, a court had awarded custody of the couple’s son to John. The court had also jailed Sherrie for interfering with court-ordered visitation rights and violation of other orders in the divorce proceeding.
- Anna Cladakis (2007–Present) – John had started dating Anna Cladakis in 2007. She was working as a promotional director with the restaurant chain Hooters at that time. The pair got engaged in December 2014.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of American descent.
- Stocky frame
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Often sports a thick beard
John has been sponsored by –
- LoudMouth Golf Apparel
- Rock Bottom Golf
John Daly Facts
- John, when he was just 13 years old, had won the spring club championship at the Lake of the Woods golf course in Locust Grove, Orange County, Virginia. He had won the title by defeating all the senior male members of the club after which the club had changed its rules, thus barring juniors from future open club competitions.
- He was a letterman in American football and golf while he was attending Helias Catholic High School. With him handling both punting and place-kicking duties, the school’s football team had amassed an incredible 10–0 win-loss record in 1983. In golf, he was the 1983 Missouri state team champion representing the school. He went on to win the 1983 Missouri State Amateur Championship and the 1984 Arkansas State Amateur Championship.
- After winning the PGA Championship in 1991, he had given USD 30k to the family of a man who had died during the tournament due to a lightning strike. He has been involved in several other charitable activities and has donated money to his high school, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, and the sports programs at the University of Arkansas, his alma mater.
- During the 1994 NEC World Series of Golf, he had hit several shots into the group playing in front of him on the 14th hole in the final round. One of those shots had almost hit fellow professional golfer Jeff Roth after which John and Jeff’s father had wrestled each other to the ground. The scuffle had to be broken up by fans attending the event.
- In 1997, he had become the first PGA Tour player to have averaged more than 300 yards per drive over a full season, according to official performance statistics that have been kept since 1980. He had achieved the feat every year from 1999 to 2008 and was the only player to do so until 2003. His driving distance off the tee had earned him the nickname ‘Long John’.
- As of December 2021, he had held the record of being the only golfer, from either Europe or the United States, to have never been selected for the prestigious Ryder Cup (a biennial men’s golf competition between teams from Europe and the United States) despite winning 2 major golf championships (the PGA Championship in 1991 and The Open Championship in 1995).
- In 2006, he had launched a wine label called John Daly Wines which later became defunct. The same year, he had revealed in his autobiography that he had struggled with a gambling problem and had lost approximately USD 50 million over 15 years due to his profligacy.
- In October 2008, he had been taken into protective custody after he had been found drunk outside a Hooters restaurant. He was neither arrested nor charged with a violation but the local police had still released his mug shot to the media.
- In July 2019, he had a near-death experience after he was bitten by a brown recluse spider while he was vacationing in England. He had required emergency surgery after developing sepsis (a life-threatening condition that arises when the body’s response to infection causes injury to its tissues and organs) due to the bite.
- In September 2020, he had revealed that he had recently battled bladder cancer. He had undergone surgery to remove the cancerous cells but doctors had told him that there was still an 85 percent chance of relapse. To reduce the chances of recurrence, he had vowed to improve his previously unhealthy lifestyle that had involved smoking and drinking large amounts of sugary drinks.
Featured Image by John Daly / Instagram