|John Farnham Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||July 1, 1949|
John Farnham is an Australian singer who is widely recognized as the most successful solo artist in the history of Australian rock and pop, and one of the most respected celebrities in Australian entertainment history. He was a teen pop idol from 1967 until 1979, after which he embarked on a solo career as an adult contemporary singer. He had also performed as the lead singer of the Melbourne-based rock group Little River Band from 1982 to 1985. His 1986 album titled Whispering Jack had held the number 1 position in Australia for 25 weeks and as of March 2021, was the 2nd highest-selling album in Australian history. Besides his illustrious music career, he has been featured in numerous stage plays in lead roles and has acted in several popular Australian TV shows.
John Peter Farnham
The Voice, Whispering Jack, Farnesy
Dagenham, Essex, England, United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
John had attended the Yarraman Park State School (now known as the Yarraman Oaks Primary School), the Lyndale Primary School, and the Lyndale High School, all situated in the Australian state of Victoria.
- Father – John Peter Farnham Sr.
- Mother – Rose Farnham (née Pemberton)
- Siblings – Jean Farnham (Sister), Jaquiline Farnham (Sister), Steven Farnham (Younger Brother)
Pop Rock, Adult Contemporary, Soft Rock
- Columbia Records
- EMI Group Limited
- RCA Corporation
- Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG)
- Sony Music Entertainment
- His Master’s Voice (HMV)
- Sony Music Australia
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John has dated –
- Jillian Billman (1973-Present) – John had married dancer Jillian Billman on April 11, 1973, in a ceremony in Glenroy, Australia. They had first met during a performance of the stage musical Charlie Girl. They have 2 sons together named Robert Farnham (b. September 27, 1979) (Actor) and James Farnham.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Stocky frame
- Receding hairline
- Puffy face
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
John Farnham Facts
- Born and raised in England, John’s family had moved to Australia when he was 10 years old and had settled in Melbourne.
- Starting in 1969, he was voted by the readers of the weekly Australian magazine TV Week as the ‘King of Pop’ for 5 years in a row.
- As of March 2021, he was the only Australian artist to have number-one records in 5 successive decades – with the singles Sadie (The Cleaning Lady) in 1967, Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head in 1970, and Age of Reason in 1988; and the albums Whispering Jack in 1986, Age of Reason in 1988, Chain Reaction in 1990, Then Again… in 1993, 33⅓ in 2000, and The Last Time in 2002.
- He is an ardent supporter of the North Melbourne Football Club that competes in the Australian Football League.
- He was named ‘Australian of the Year’ in 1987 and was appointed an ‘Officer of the Order of Australia’ in 1996.
- As of March 2021, he had won 19 ARIA (Australian Recording Industry Association) Music Awards and was inducted into their ‘Hall of Fame’ in 2003.
- As a consequence of performing at high-volume musical concerts for several years, John has suffered from tinnitus and hearing loss, and has been forced to use hearing aids.
Featured Image by John Farnham / Instagram