|John Leguizamo Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||July 22, 1964|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
John Leguizamo is an American actor, producer, comedian, and writer who is best known for portraying roles such as Luigi in Super Mario Bros., Chi-Chi Rodriguez in To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, and Ozzy Delvecchio in Bloodline. He has also appeared in a variety of other TV shows and films such as Casualties of War, Die Hard 2, Whispers in the Dark, Executive Decision, Romeo + Juliet, Frogs for Snakes, Dr. Dolittle, King of the Jungle, Ice Age, Collateral Damage, Assault on Precinct 13, Land of the Dead, The Babysitters, The Ministers, Vanishing on 7th Street, The Counselor, Kick-Ass 2, John Wick, John Wick: Chapter 2, The Power, Fairfax, Elena of Avalor, When They See Us, My Name Is Earl, and many more. John has been featured in the music videos of songs such as Justin Bieber’s What Do You Mean? and Residente’s Somos Anormales. For his acting skills, he has been honored with numerous awards such as the Primetime Emmy Award.
John Alberto Leguizamo
Bogotá, Colombia, South America
Manhattan, New York City, U.S.
John Leguizamo studied at the Joseph Pulitzer Middle School, Jackson Heights, New York. He also went to the Murry Bergtraum High School in New York City.
He took theater classes at the New York University‘s Tisch School of the Arts, NYC but left it mid-way to pursue a stand-up comedy career. He also enrolled himself in drama classes at the Long Island University C.W. Post Campus in Brookville, New York.
Actor, voice actor, film producer, stand-up comedian, playwright, screenwriter
- Father – Alberto Leguizamo (Was an aspiring Film Director)
- Mother – Luz Leguizamo
- Siblings – Sergio Leguizamo (Brother), Marie Leguizamo (Sister), Emily Leguizamo (Sister)
He is managed by Silver Lining Entertainment.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
72 kg or 159 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Leguizamo dated –
- Carolyn McDermott (1986-1991) – John Leguizamo and actress Carolyn McDermott were in a relationship from 1986 to 1991.
- Samantha Mathis (1991-1992) – John Leguizamo and actress Samantha Mathis started dating in 1991. They split in August 1992.
- Yelba Osorio (1994 -1996) – John Leguizamo and actress Yelba Osorio got married on August 27, 1994. The two legally separated on November 1, 1996.
- Justine Maurer (2003-Present) – Leguizamo tied the knot with Justine Maurer, a Jewish costume designer for Carlito’s Way on June 28, 2003. They got married in a Catholic-Jewish ceremony. The couple has a daughter Allegra Sky (born in 1999) and a son Ryder Lee (born in 2000).
Race / Ethnicity
The veteran actor claims to be of partial Puerto Rican, Italian, and Lebanese descent.
John appeared in commercials for The New TNN in 2003 and Burger King in 2004.
He was seen in the Hennessy Cognac print ads from 2005 to 2006.
Best Known For
His first tryst with fame was in Hangin’ with the Homeboys (1991) in which he played the role of Johnny. Other best-known movies include Carlito’s Way (1993) in which he played a cold-blooded killer Benny Blanco, as Rat in Executive Decision (1996) and as drag queen Chi-Chi Rodriguez in To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995).
Chico and the Man (1974), Romeo + Juliet (1996) and Spawn (1997) are some of his other best-known movies.
He debuted in the film industry with the 1985 movie Mixed Blood in which he played the character of Macetero.
First TV Show
His first TV show was NBC’s crime drama series Miami Vice in 1986. He played a small part as Ivan Calderone in the series until 1989 in 3 episodes.
First Broadway Performance
In 1998, John made his debut Broadway performance with Freak. The one-man show that was directed by Spike Lee was recorded for HBO and released on October 10, 1998.
In October 2006, his first book titled Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas and All the Rest of My Hollywood Friends: My Life was released. It was a memoir based on his journey in the industry.
Jenaro Diaz is the personal trainer of John Leguizamo. He goes to the Church Street Boxing Gym in Lower Manhattan.
John Leguizamo Favorite Things
- Artists – Richard Pryor, Jonathan Winters, Eric Bogosian, Spalding Gray, Lily Tomlin, Whoopi Goldberg
- TV show – The Abbott and Costello Show (1952-1957), Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis Show
- Movies – Coffy (1973), Cotton Comes to Harlem (1970), Foxy Brown (1974), Fist of Fury (1972), Enter the Dragon (1973)
- Music – James Brown, Eddie Kendricks, Al Wilson
John Leguizamo Facts
- In high school, John was voted as the Most Talkative boy.
- While studying at the Murry Bergtraum High School, Leguizamo used to write comedy material and then test on his classmates back then.
- John was brought up in Jackson Heights, Queens, New York.
- He was seen in the Borderline music video of singer Madonna in 1983.
- In 1984, Leguizamo started his career as a stand-up comedian in the New York nightclub circuit.
- In 1991, he wrote and performed in the off-Broadway production Mambo Mouth. John played seven diverse characters for the play.
- John Willis’ Screen Worlds Vol. 43 listed him among the top 12 Promising New Actors of 1991.
- In 2001, his stage compilations were released in a CD titled John Leguizamo LIVE by RCA Records.
- In 2002, he lent his voice to the character of Sid the Sloth in Ice Age. He also lent his voice for Ice Age: The Meltdown, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Ice Age: Continental Drift and Ice Age: Collision Course. His voice was also used in the game versions of the Ice Age series.
- He lent his voice to the character of Globox in Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc in 2003.
- He received the Rita Moreno HOLA Award for Excellence in 2008. The award was given by the Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors (HOLA).
- John also bagged the Made in NY Award in 2011 from New York City.
- He made an appearance in the What Do You Mean music video for Canadian singer Justin Bieber in 2015.
- John has done voiceover work in video games for characters such as Globox in Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, Sid in Ice Age 2: The Meltdown, and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs.