|John Malkovich Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||December 9, 1953|
John Malkovich is a talented American actor, director, producer, and fashion designer. He is known for his roles in Places in the Heart, In the Line of Fire, Empire of the Sun, Johnny English, Con Air, Of Mice and Men, Ripley’s Game, Being John Malkovich, and Bird Box. John has a major in theater from Illinois State University. He co-owns a restaurant cum nightclub in Lisbon, Portugal. John also runs a fashion company called Mrs. Mudd.
John Gavin Malkovich
Christopher, Illinois, United States
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
John Malkovich studied in Logan Grade School, Webster Junior High School, and Benton Consolidated High School in Illinois. After that, he joined the Eastern Illinois University but transferred to Illinois State University to major in theater.
Actor, Director, Producer, Fashion Designer
- Father – Daniel Leon Malkovich (Was State Conservation Director and Publisher of Outdoor Illinois)
- Mother – Joe Anne (Owned the Benton Evening News and Outdoor Illinois)
- Siblings – He has 1 older brother and 3 younger sisters.
- Others – Michael Malkovich (Paternal Grandfather), Goldie Stanisha/Stanish (Paternal Grandmother), Stephen Choisser (Maternal Grandfather), Edna Alice Johnson (Maternal Grandmother)
John Malkovich is managed by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Charles Finch, Manager, Artists Independent Management, London, England, United Kingdom
- Mudd Production, Los Angeles, California, United States
6 ft or 183 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Malkovich has dated –
- Glenne Headly – John was in a relationship with actress Glenne Headly for a while. The couple tied the knot on August 2, 1982. They had appeared together in the film Making Mr. Right (1987). However, their marriage failed as John became involved with actress Michelle Pfeiffer and they finalized their divorce on January 1, 1988.
- Michelle Pfeiffer (1988) – In 1988, John had a brief affair with actress Michelle Pfeiffer. The pair acted together in the hit film Dangerous Liaisons (1988). Their affair broke John’s marriage to Glenne Headly.
- Nicoletta Peyran – John had a brief relationship with Nicoletta Peyran. They tied the knot on September 20, 1989. The couple is blessed with 2 children, daughter Amandine Malkovich (b. 1990) and son Loewy Malkovich (b. 1992).
Race / Ethnicity
He has Croatian ancestry on his father’s side and French-Canadian/French, English, German, and Scottish ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Balding on the forehead
- Long chin
- Intense eyes
John Malkovich has endorsed and appeared in commercials for brands like –
- Les cahiers du Cinéma
- iPhone 4S by Verizon
Best Known For
His roles in numerous films including Places in the Heart (1984) as Mr. Will, In the Line of Fire (1993) as Mitch Leary, Empire of the Sun (1987) as Basie, Con Air (1997) as Cyrus “The Virus” Grissom, Ripley’s Game (2002) as Tom Ripley, Being John Malkovich (1999) as John Horatio Malkovich, Red (2010) as Marvin Boggs, Dangerous Liaisons (1988) as Vicomte de Valmont, Warm Bodies (2013) as General Grigio, and Bird Box (2018) as Douglas
In 1978, he made his theatrical film debut in the comedy-drama film A Wedding as a Wedding Guest. However, he was uncredited for his role.
In 1984, he made his formal theatrical film debut in the drama film Places in the Heart as Mr. Will.
In 2014, he made his theatrical film debut as a voice actor in the animated adventure comedy film Penguins of Madagascar as Dave.
First TV Show
In 1981, he made his first TV show appearance on the drama series American Dream.
John Malkovich Favorite Things
- Films – Citizen Kane (1941), It’s a Wonderful Life (1946), High Noon (1952), The 400 Blows (1959), The Battle of Algiers (1966), The Conformist (1970) and This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
- Part Of The US – The West like Idaho and Montana
- Filming Locations – Morocco and Vienna
- Hotel – The Hotel Raphael in Paris
- City – Mexico City
John Malkovich Facts
- While he was in high school, he took part in various plays and musicals like Carousel.
- He took part in his local folk-gospel group and sang at his church areas and community events.
- In 1972, he took part in the local summer theater/comedy project, co-starring in Jean-Claude van Itallie’s America Hurrah.
- Characterize with a soft mellow voice, he is often cast as a sadistic villain.
- He made it to the list of John Willis’ Screen World, Vol. 36 of the “Promising New Actors of 1984”.
- His costume for Annie Lennox’s music video, “Walking On Broken Glass” was hired from the film set of Dangerous Liaisons (1988).
- In 1995, Empire magazine ranked him as #70 on their list of the “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History”.
- After filming in Portugal, his fondness for the country grew, and he bought a house there.
- He also co-owns a restaurant cum disco in Lisbon, Portugal.
- One of the head teachers of the Theatre Department at Illinois State University once told John that he could never become an actor.
- John is known for coming up with a Jell-O diet where he ate only Jell-O for 4 months to cut down his excessive weight as a teenager.
- After quitting college in 1976, he joined the Chicago’s Steppenwolf Theater.
- He is the first actor to win New York Film Critics award for self-portraying himself in a film titled Being John Malkovich (1999).
- Premiere magazine ranked his performance of himself in Being John Malkovich (1999) as #90 best performances in the “100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time”.
- He is a frequent visitor to the Sarajevo Film Festival in Bosnia.
- After 2 weeks of filming in the Crazy People (1990), he dropped out and was replaced by Dudley Moore.
- He is good friends with Gérard Depardieu and they have worked together in many films including The Man in the Iron Mask (1998), Les misérables (2000) and Napoléon (2002).
- John was one of the Hollywood celebrities who lost a considerable amount ($2.3m) in the Bernie Madoff scandal.
- He has worked with numerous Oscar-winning directors like Robert Benton, Steven Spielberg, Bernardo Bertolucci, Woody Allen, Robert Zemeckis, Clint Eastwood, and Joel Coen & Ethan Coen.
- He is fluent in French.
- After living for about 10 years in France, he left in 2003.
- He has been a part of many films that were nominated for the “Best Picture” at the Oscar like The Killing Fields (1984), Places in the Heart (1984) and Dangerous Liaisons (1988).
- His road most traveled is from the US to London.
- He always travels with his gym clothes or a book.
- He has worked as an executive producer in films like Demolition (2015), Cesar Chavez (2014), Young Adult (2011), and The Accidental Tourist (1988); and as producer for films like Juno (2007), The Dancer Upstairs (2002), The Loner (2001), and Ghost World (2001).
- He has written and directed a short film titled Hideous Man (2002).
- The book that inspired him the most is William Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury (1929).
- His earliest childhood memory is playing hide-and-seek and hiding in a disused refrigerator from his brother.
- The trait he most deplores in himself is childishness, unseriousness, and laziness when compared to things he should have or could have done.
- He feels that he is a constant source of embarrassment to himself.
- His guiltiest pleasure is doing nothing.
- His most treasured possessions are the little stuffed bear and a key chain which were given to him by his son Loewy and daughter Amandine.
- Smoking was his most unappealing habit.
- Growing up, he wanted to be a baseball pitcher.
- He would invite Julian Sands, Harold Pinter, and Nina Simone to his dream dinner party.
- His closest encounter with death was driving recklessly as a young adult.
- He would like to be remembered by his friends as a good friend, or someone amusing.
- In 2002, he came out with his own fashion company called Mrs. Mudd and had released his own designed outfits as part of menswear collection titled “Uncle Kimono” in 2003 and “Technobohemian” in 2010.
- His most relaxing destination is the Croatian coast.
- John’s best holiday destination is Anguilla in the Eastern Caribbean.
- His worst travel experience was when he made a stopover at Urumqi in western China while traveling from Beijing to Kazakhstan for his fashion work.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Elena Ringo / www.elena-ringo.com / CC BY-4.0