|John Taylor Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||June 20, 1960|
John Taylor is best known for being the bass guitarist and founding member of the British music band, Duran Duran, which is credited for making new wave music genre mainstream and popular. The band also managed to revolutionize the way music videos were made and were the leading creative force in the early years of MTV. He worked with the band from 1978 to 1997 before focusing on his solo career and other music projects. In 2001, he got back together with the other 4 original members of the band for a Duran Duran reunion.
Nigel John Taylor
John, J.T., Noodlehead, Tigger
Solihull, Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom
John Taylor primarily lives with his wife Gela Nash in a lavish house in Hollywood Hills neighborhood in Los Angeles. They also spend some of their time at South Wraxall Manor which was bought by Taylor in 2005.
John Taylor went to the Our Lady of the Wayside Catholic School. Later, he got enrolled at the Abbey High School in Redditch.
After completion of school education, he studied at the School of Foundation Studies & Experimental Workshop Birmingham Polytechnic (which was later renamed as Birmingham City University).
Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Actor
- Father – Jack Taylor
- Mother – Eugene Taylor
John Taylor is represented by Independent Talent Group Ltd.
New Wave, Punk Rock, Alternative Rock, Hard Rock, Pop Rock
Bass Guitar, Guitar, Vocals
Capitol, EMI, Parlophone, Virgin, Epic, Hollywood Records, Tapemodern, Warner Bros. Music, Chrysalis, Maverick Records
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Taylor has dated –
- Britt Ekland
- Roberta Earl-Price
- Tawny Kitaen
- Nastassja Kinski – RUMOR
- Kim Cattrall – John was rumored to have had a fling with actress Kim Cattrall.
- Samantha Phillips
- Diane Lane – It was rumored that John had a fleeting affair with American actress Diane Lane in the past.
- Diana Ross – It was also assumed that John had a short-lived relationship with American singer and actress, Diana Ross.
- Janine Andrews (1983-1985) – John Taylor started going out with actress Janine Andrews in 1983. Although they had attended the same school, they didn’t start dating during that period. He met her while she was shooting for the James Bond movie, Octopussy. They dated for about 2 years before breaking up in 1985.
- Bebe Buell (1984) – Towards the end of 1984, Taylor was reported to be dating model and singer, Bebe Buell.
- Jody Watley (1984) – Taylor hooked up with singer Jody Watley in 1984 after having met her while recording Do They Know It`s Christmas for Band-Aid organization.
- Rachel Byrd (1985) – Just after his breakup from Janine Andrews, Taylor started dating model, Rachel Byrd. He had met her while taking part in a photoshoot for a magazine. Byrd was brought in to pose with Taylor. They were also spotted partying at the popular nightclubs in London.
- Virginia Hey (1985) – Soon after ending his relationship with Rachel Byrd, Taylor hooked up with Virginia Hey in 1985. Again, it turned out to be a short-lived romance.
- Christy Turlington (1986) – It was rumored that John dated American model Christy Turlington in 1986.
- Renée Toft Simonsen (1985-1989) – In 1985, Taylor officially started dating Danish model, Renée Toft Simonsen. Over the course of their relationship, they even got engaged. But, they never made it to the aisle as they decided to end their relationship in 1989.
- Patsy Kensit (1986) – In the early months of 1986, Taylor had a brief relationship with Patsy Kensit. They were even featured on the cover of the British magazine.
- Amanda De Cadenet (1990-1997) – In 1990, Taylor started dating English photographer and actress, Amanda De Cadenet. They decided to get hitched towards the end of 1991 as she was already pregnant with his child. She gave birth to their daughter, Atlanta Noo, in March 1992. Soon after the birth of their daughter, they moved to Los Angeles so that she could get a better shot at an acting career. However, the couple separated in May 1995 and their divorce was finalized in 1997.
- Gela Nash (1996-Present) – In 1996, Taylor met fashion designer Gela Nash who is also the co-founder of Juicy Couture. They started dating soon after and got married in Las Vegas in March 1999.
Race / Ethnicity
Blonde highlighted hair
John Taylor’s song Break My Bones was used in a TV commercial for State Farm Auto Insurance.
Best Known For
Being the founding member and bass guitarist of the British band, Duran Duran. The band has managed to sell more than 100 million records all over the world. The band has had its singles listed in the top music charts and has also won several prestigious music awards including 2 Grammy Awards.
In 1981, with his music band Duran Duran, John Taylor released his debut studio album named Duran Duran. The album was a commercial success and managed to reach as high as the 3rd spot on the UK Albums Chart.
In 1985, his music band, The Power Station, released their first studio album, The Power Station. The album reached the 6th position on the US Billboard 200.
He released his solo debut studio album, I Do What I Do (Theme for 9½ Weeks), in 1985. The album didn’t achieve as much success as his work with his bands had.
In 1999, he made his theatrical film debut in the lead role in the comedy music movie, Sugar Town.
First TV Show
In 1981, John Taylor made his first TV show appearance on the music series, Top of the Pops.
John Taylor Favorite Things
- Music Band While Growing Up – Roxy Music
Source – Wikipedia
John Taylor Facts
- While growing up, he had to wear glasses because of severe myopia. He also used to play war games with hand-painted model soldiers.
- His interest in music bloomed in the early teens. He also started teaching himself piano and formed his first music band, Shock Treatment.
- In 1978, he and his friend Nick Rhodes collaborated with Stephen Duffy to form the music band, Duran Duran. They were studying at the School of Foundation Studies & Experimental Workshop Birmingham Polytechnic.
- Soon after forming Duran Duran, he decided to swap glasses with contact lenses. He also started wearing lipstick and eyeliner and incorporated sashes and ruffles into his style and, thus, became a leading figure in the New Romantic style.
- When Duran Duran was initially formed, he used to play guitar but later switched to bass guitar and learned how to play rhythm section with band’s new drummer, Roger Taylor.
- In 1996, he got together with producer Hein Hoven to establish the independent record label B5 Records. The label initially operated out of Hoven’s house in Lake Hollywood before moving to a state of art studio called B5 by the Sea in Santa Monica.
- He published his autobiographical book, In the Pleasure Groove: Love, Death and Duran Duran, in October 2012.
- He has been included in People magazine’s annual list of Sexiest People on numerous occasions.
- In 1985, his music band Duran Duran created the theme song of the action adventure movie, A View to a Kill.
- Follow John Taylor on Twitter.
Featured Image by The Musics Between Us / Instagram