|Jon M. Chu Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||November 2, 1979|
Jon M. Chu is a talented filmmaker of Chinese and Taiwanese origin. He is well known for his films like Step Up 2: The Streets, The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, Step Up: Revolution, G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Justin Bieber’s Believe, Step Up: All In, Jem and the Holograms, Now You See Me 2, and Crazy Rich Asians. Jon has won the Princess Grace Award, the Dore Schary Award, and the Jack Nicholson directing award. He has over 800k followers on Twitter, more than 400k followers on Instagram, and over 30 million views on his YouTube channel.
Jonathan Murray Chu
Jon M. Chu
Palo Alto, California, United States
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States
Jon M. Chu studied at the Pinewood School in Los Altos, until 12th grade. Later, he attended the USC School of Cinema-Television in Los Angeles, California.
- Father – Lawrence Chu (Chef, Owner of Chef Chu’s)
- Mother – Ruth Chu (Co-Owner of Chef Chu’s)
- Siblings – Larry Chu Jr. (Older Brother), Christina Chu (Older Sister), Jennifer Chu (Older Sister), Howard Chu (Older Brother)
Jon M. Chu is managed by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jon M. Chu has dated –
- Kristin Hodge – Jon had been in a relationship with graphic designer Kristin Hodge, for a long time. The couple finally tied the knot on July 27, 2018, amidst family and friends in Napa Valley. They have a daughter named Willow Amelia Chu (b. July 16, 2017) and a son named Jonathan Heights Chu (b. 2019). In January 2021, it was revealed that the couple was expecting their 3rd child.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Chinese ancestry on his father’s side and is of Taiwanese descent on his mother’s side.
Best Known For
- Directing many commercially successful films and series including Step Up 2: The Streets (2008), Step Up 3D (2010), The Legion of Extraordinary Dancers (2010-2011), Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (2011), Step Up: Revolution (2012), G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013), Justin Bieber’s Believe (2013), Step Up: All In (2014), Jem and the Holograms (2015), Now You See Me 2 (2016), and Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
First TV Show
In 2008, he made his first TV show appearance on the talk-show, Up Close with Carrie Keagan.
Jon M. Chu Favorite Things
- Spots In Singapore – Gardens by the Bay, Raffles Hotel, Merlion
Source – Harper’s BAZAAR
Jon M. Chu Facts
- He grew up in Los Altos, California.
- While in school, he served as the student body president.
- He was an active child and learned tap dancing at the local San Juan School of Dance.
- Growing up, he also took lessons in piano, drums, saxophone, violin, and guitar.
- He was discovered by Steven Spielberg who recognized his talent after watching his short film When the Kids Are Away.
- He has won the Princess Grace Award, the Dore Schary Award, the Jack Nicholson directing award, and was an IFP /West Project honoree.
- Some of his projects as a producer include Dance Camp (2016), Jem and the Holograms (2015), Step Up All In (2014), Today’s the Day (2012), Step Up Revolution (2012), and The Secret of the Magic Gourd (2007).
- His trademark as a filmmaker is that he likes to incorporate dance sequences in his films.
- In 2011, he won the “Digital Pioneer Award” at International Emmy Award and AdAge’s Vanguard Award for “Outstanding Web Series” for innovative content on his YouTube channel.
Featured Image by Eva Rinaldi / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0