|Kamila Valieva Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||April 26, 2006|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Kamila Valieva is a Russian figure skater who had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2022 European Figure Skating Championships, the 2021 GP (Grand Prix) Rostelecom Cup, the 2021 GP Skate Canada International, and the 2021 CS (Challenger Series) Finlandia Trophy. In team events, representing Russia, she had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics and the 2021 Channel One Trophy. Her ‘Gold’ medal at the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics was provisional, as of February 2022, because a WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) investigation against her was ongoing. This was after a sample that she had submitted for a drug test in December 2021 had tested positive for trimetazidine which is banned in sports competitions as it increases endurance. She was, nevertheless, allowed to participate in the Beijing Winter Olympics (February 2022) as the WADA investigation was still ongoing. In January 2022, she had achieved a peak world ranking of 5 in the official rankings issued by the ISU (International Skating Union).
Kamila Valeryevna Valieva
Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russia
As of February 2022, Kamila was a high school student.
- Siblings – Alisa Pesbalova (Sister)
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Volga Tatar descent.
- Toned physique
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Charming smile
- Radiant face
Kamila has been sponsored by –
- Puma Russia
- Ozon Russia
Kamila Valieva Facts
- She had been enrolled in gymnastics, ballet, and figure skating classes by her mother when she was about 3-4 years old. By the time she had turned 5, her trainers had encouraged her to focus completely on figure skating.
- At the international junior tier, she had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2020 World Junior Figure Skating Championships, the 2019-20 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, the 2019 ISU JGP (Junior Grand Prix) in France, and the 2019 ISU JGP in Russia.
- At the national level, in the senior tier, she had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2022 Russian Figure Skating Championships and a ‘Silver’ medal at the 2021 Russian Figure Skating Championships. At the national level, in the junior tier, she had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2019–20 Russian Junior Figure Skating Championships.
- As of February 2022, she was the world record holder for the women’s ‘short program’ (90.45, set at the 2022 European Figure Skating Championships), ‘free skating’ (185.29, set at the 2021 Rostelecom Cup), and ‘total score’ (272.71, set at the 2021 Rostelecom Cup).
- By February 2022, she had set 9 world records during her career. She holds the record of being the first female figure skater to break the 250, 260, and 270-point thresholds in the ‘total score’ category (all within one season). She also holds the record of being the first skater to have broken the 170 and 180-point thresholds in the ‘free skate’ category, and the first to break the 90-point threshold in the ‘short program’ category.
- She is just the 2nd female figure skater to land the quadruple toe loop after Alexandra Trusova, the 4th female to land a quadruple jump of any kind, the 16th female to land a triple Axel, and just the 3rd female to land a triple Axel and quadruple jump in the same program. She also holds the record of being the first female skater to land a quadruple jump in Olympic competition.
- She has a pet dog, a Pomeranian named Lëva (Lyova), which was gifted to her in 2019 by her fans.
- In an interview in 2021, she had stated that her dream was to become a psychologist after retiring from figure skating.
- Her hobbies/interests include dancing and drawing.
- In January 2023, she was freed from doping charges by the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA). However, in December 2021, she had failed a drug test. She was found positive for the heart medication trimetazidine which is banned.
Featured Image by Kamila Valieva / Instagram