|Kate Spade Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||December 24, 1962|
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Kate Spade has been credited by many fashion historians and experts for changing the handbag trend in the 90s. The Vogue editor, Anna Wintour, had even gone on record to say that it was impossible to walk a block in the New York City without noticing a single Kate Spade handbag. Kate Spade later expanded her brand to include a collection of shoes and clothing among the various other items. Her suicide in June 2018 came as a shock to the entire fashion industry as she had never addressed her mental and emotional issues in public.
Katherine Noel Brosnahan
Kate Spade, Kate Valentine
Kate Spade was born on December 24, 1962.
Spade passed away at the age of 55 on June 5, 2018, in New York City. She had committed suicide by hanging herself in her apartment in Manhattan.
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Kate Spade went to the St. Teresa’s Academy, which is a Kansas City-based all-girl Catholic high school. After graduating, she got enrolled at the University of Kansas.
Later, in 1985, she shifted to the Arizona State University and graduated with a degree in Journalism.
Fashion Designer, Businesswoman
- Father – Earl Francis Brosnahan (Owner of a Road-Construction Company)
- Mother – June Brosnahan
- Others – Earl Francis Brosnahan, Sr. (Paternal Grandfather), Helen Rose Mottin (Paternal Grandmother), John A.V. Mullen (Maternal Grandfather), Theresa /Terese Mullen (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kate Spade had dated –
- Andy Spade (1994-2018) – Kate first met her husband and co-founder of the fashion brand Kate Spade New York, Andy Spade, while they were both working together as salespeople at a men’s clothing store, Carter’s Men Shop. Later, she started living with him while she was working at the accessories department at Mademoiselle magazine. They got married in 1994 and in 2005, she gave birth to their daughter, Frances Beatrix Spade.
Race / Ethnicity
She had Irish and French ancestry.
- High cheekbones
- Contagious smile
Best Known For
Being the co-founder of the popular fashion brand, Kate Spade New York. The fashion label was initially launched with a handbag collection but as the popularity of the brand grew, it was extended to include other items such as shoes, jewelry, clothing, fragrances, and bedding.
First TV Show
In 2002, Kate Spade made her first TV show appearance in the Blush Gets Some Therapy episode of the comedy series, Just Shoot Me!.
Kate Spade Favorite Things
- Beauty Products – Skin Medica TNS Essential Serum, HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator
- Meal To Cook For Her Husband – Thanksgiving dinner
- Travel Destination – Mexico
- Bathroom Essentials – Creme de la Mer, Cetaphil cleanser and lotion
- New York City Restaurants – Nobu 57
- Loungewear – Marina pajama set
- Shades – Oliver Goldsmith Manhattan sunglasses
- Shoes – Katy Shoes
- Hotel – Hôtel de Crillon
- Dress – Comme des Garçons dress
- Rings – Alice Cicolini 14-k gold ring with London blue topaz
- Food – Cheeseburger
- Earrings – Bug Cluster earrings with Chinese turquoise beads
- Blouse – Sacai blouse
Source – TheNewPotato.com, NY Post
Kate Spade Facts
- While studying at the Arizona State University, she was a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.
- After she had graduated from the university, she wanted to become a television producer. Her inspiration was Holly Hunter’s character in the 1987 comedy film Broadcast News.
- She was employed in the Manhattan-based accessories department of Mademoiselle magazine in 1986.
- At the time when she left Mademoiselle, Kate Spade held the job title of Senior Fashion Editor /Head of Accessories.
- It was while working at Mademoiselle that she realized there was a lack of stylish and reasonably priced handbags in the market. So, Kate Spade decided to exploit the gap in the market.
- In January 1993, she and her business partner Andy Spade, launched their design and fashion company, Kate Spade Handbags.
- Her initial collection of prototype handbags were made with paper and scotch tape. The prototypes were converted into actual handbags by an East New York-based manufacturer.
- Her fashion brand scored the first breakthrough with an early show at the Javits Center. At the show, a small order was placed by the department-store chain Barneys.
- In 1996, the first Kate Spade brand boutique was opened in a 400-square-foot shop at SoHo district in Manhattan. The headquarters were moved to a space in West 25th Street.
- Kate Spade launched her home collection brand called Kate Spade at Home in 2004. The collection included bath items, bedding, china, and wallpaper.
- In 2004, she published her 3 books – Manners, Occasions, and Style, which were written on 3 subjects – etiquette, entertainment, and fashion.
- In 1999, the Neiman Marcus Group decided to acquire a 56 percent stake in the Kate Spade brand. The company decided to acquire the remaining 44 percent stake in the fashion brand in 2006.
- Spade and her business partners launched a collection of luxury shoes and handbags under the label of Frances Valentine in 2016.
- In recognition of her achievements as a businessman, she was honored with induction into the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame at the Henry W. Bloch School of Management at the University of Missouri.
- Just after her death, her husband, Andy Spade, released a public statement in which he touched upon her struggles with anxiety and depression.
- Kate Spade didn’t have any social media account.
Featured Image by Palm Beach Counseling / Instagram