|Holly Hunter Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||March 20, 1958|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Holly Hunter is an American actress, voiceover artist, producer, and theatre artist who has gained critical acclaim with her performance as Ada McGrath in the 1993 period drama film, The Piano. This role won her numerous accolades including the Academy Award for “Best Actress”, BAFTA Award, Golden Globe Award, and the National Society of Film Critics Award. Some of her other noteworthy performances came in movies and shows such as The Firm, The Big Sick, Saving Grace, The Incredibles, Broadcast News, Living Out Loud, Thirteen, The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom, Harlan County War, Top of the Lake, and O Brother, Where Art Thou?.
Holly Patricia Hunter
Conyers, Rockdale County, Georgia, United States
Holly Hunter studied at Rockdale County High School where she began acting in the early 1970s and performed in Oklahoma, Man of La Mancha, and Fiddler on the Roof. She then got enrolled at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and received a degree in drama.
During her time at the university, she performed in the theatre scene there and played ingenue roles at City Theatre, then named the City Players. She was also awarded an Honorary Doctorate degree by her alma mater, Carnegie Mellon University, in 2016.
Actress, Voiceover Artist, Producer, Theatre Artist
- Father – Charles Edwin Hunter (Farmer and sporting-goods manufacturer’s representative)
- Mother – Opal Marguerite (née Catledge) (Housewife)
- Others – Charlie Hunter (Paternal Grandfather), Clyde C. Catledge (Maternal Grandfather), Mary Ruth Bell (Maternal Grandmother)
She has been signed with –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Management 360, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Holly Hunter has dated –
- Arliss Howard (1988-1990) – In December 1988, she started going out with actor, writer, and film director Arliss Howard but the duo eventually separated in January 1990.
- Janusz Kaminski (1993-2001) – She began dating Polish cinematographer and director Janusz Kaminski in 1993 and they got married in the year 1995. He has worked on projects like Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan. However, the couple divorced in 2001.
- Gordon MacDonald (2001-Present) – She then started dating British actor Gordon MacDonald in 2001 after they met in San Jose Repertory Theatre’s production of playwright Marina Carr’s By the Bog of Cats, in which she played a woman abandoned by her lover (played by MacDonald) of 14 years. They welcomed twin boys named Claude McDonald and Press McDonald in January 2006.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English, Scottish, and Welsh descent.
She is irreligious.
Holly Hunter Favorite Things
- Film – Wings of Desire (1987)
Source – IMDb
Holly Hunter Facts
- Due to a childhood case of mumps, she is unable to hear with her left ear. This at times has also affected her work and some scenes have to be altered from the script for her to use her right ear.
- In 1981, Holly Hunter made her theatrical film debut as Sophie in the slasher film, The Burning.
- She was 9 years old when she started playing the piano.
- She has been roommates with actress and producer Frances McDormand.
- As a voiceover artist, Hunter made her credited theatrical film debut by providing vocals to the character of Helen Parr/Elastigirl, Bob’s wife who has the ability to stretch her body like rubber, in the computer-animated superhero film, The Incredibles, in 2004.
- On May 30, 2008, she received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Featured Image by Jeff Riedel / TNT / CC BY-SA 3.0