|Katya Zamolodchikova Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 1, 1982|
Katya Zamolodchikova is an American drag queen, actor, television personality, and comedian best known for appearing in the seventh season of RuPaul’s Drag Race and the 2nd season of RuPaul’s Drag Race: All-Stars as a contestant and also hosting a web series called UNHhhh with co-host and fellow drag star Trixie Mattel. She has a huge fanbase and has amassed more than 2 million followers on Instagram.
Brian Joseph McCook
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Katya attended the Marlborough High School. She later enrolled in Massachusetts College of Art and Design to study video and performance art in the Studio for Interrelated Media program and had psychology as a minor.
Drag Queen, Comedian, Actor, Reality Television Personality
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – She has an older brother and a younger sister.
Katya is represented by –
- David Charpentier, Manager, Producer Entertainment Group LLC.
- Michael Benedetti, Booking Agent, Producer Entertainment Group LLC.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Katya has not dated anyone publicly yet.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Irish ancestry.
For her drag persona Katya, she wears a ‘blonde’ wig.
Brian is openly gay whereas his drag persona Katya comes out as a bisexual.
- Always wears dark shades of lipsticks
- Heavy eye makeup
Katya has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
She grew up in a Catholic family.
However, her religious views as an adult aren’t known.
Best Known For
- Being a Drag queen
- Her web series called UNHhhh with co-host and fellow drag star Trixie Mattel
First TV Show
Katya made her first TV show appearance in RuPaul‘s Drag Race as herself in 2015.
Katya Zamolodchikova Favorite Things
- Dance Style – Post Modern and Butoh
- Russian Gymnast – Elena Zamolodchikova, Svetlana Khorkina
Source – YouTube, RussianChicagoMag.com
Katya Zamolodchikova Facts
- As a child, Brian grew up in a normal religious and supportive family.
- The character of Katya was discovered by Brian when he shot a video show in the final year of college. He hosted the show as a Russian drag character which later went on to become his full-fledged drag persona named ‘Katya Zamolodchikova’.
- The full name of drag queen Katya Zamolodchikova is Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova which is inspired by the name of her favorite Russian gymnast – Elena Zamolodchikova.
- One of the reasons that Katya has such a difficult last name is because she knew it would be impossible for the Americans to pronounce it.
- Katya started learning Russian when she was in college and loved it.
- For 4 years, she lived above the drag venue Jacques Cabaret and became a popular drag performer there.
- In an interview in 2016, she revealed that she was highly addicted to crystal meth and alcohol back in the time when she first started her career in drag. She also stated that at times, she really struggled due to her addiction.
- It was when the 1st season of RuPaul’s Drag Race premiered, she decided that she wanted out of the addiction and the life that she was living.
- It took her 4 auditions in 6 years to make it to the show RuPaul’s Drag Race.
- In the start of the 7th season, she was a year sober but she describes that the whole experience of the show as “very emotional and very hard”.
- While filming the show’s 11th episode, the contestants were given a task to construct unique looks inspired by Hello Kitty. Although the aired version showed Katya as a typically nervous contestant, in reality, she went through a full-blown panic attack on the set.
- Throughout the shooting of RuPaul’s Drag Race, Katya faced many moments where she almost turned suicidal.
- After surviving the pressure of the reality television, the next big thing waiting for her was the web series called UNHhhh which she hosted along with the fellow drag star Trixie Mattel. The show was a viral hit and gained them a huge fan following.
- The web series led to their own TV show titled The Trixie & Katya Show which aired for the first time in November 2017.
- In January 2018, she announced a break from drag and her tour ‘Help Me, I’m Dying’ was postponed to 2019.
- Later, in the Whimsically Volatile podcast, Katya revealed that she had a relapse into the use of meth after years of sobriety and that she even had to go to the rehab as she was suffering from visions and auditory hallucinations calling it a ‘psychotic break from reality’.
- Later in March 2018, Katya announced through her Twitter that she will be resuming her drag career.
- Visit her official website @ welovekatya.com.
- Follow her on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and YouTube.
Featured Image by hinnk / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0