|Kelsey Grammer Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||February 21, 1955|
Kelsey Grammer is an American actor who is best known for playing the scholarly psychiatrist Dr. Frasier Crane on Cheers and its spin-off series Frasier for 20 years. Blessed with a charismatic on-screen presence and a commanding voice, he has enraptured audiences with his highly-entertaining performances. Despite known for his perfect comic timing, he has witnessed many tragedies in his personal life. He has successfully overcome substance addiction and a string of failed relationships with the help of his religion and faith.
Allen Kelsey Grammer
Kilmer Ghoulsman, Klarc Glamour, Kelsey
Charlotte Amalie, Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
Kelsey studied at Pine Crest School in Florida. He went on to attend the Juilliard School in New York after winning a scholarship and studied there from 1973 to 1975 but was eventually expelled for poor attendance.
Actor, Voice Actor, Comedian, Producer, Director, Writer, Activist
- Father – Frank Allen Grammer, Jr. (Musician, Coffee Shop Owner) (Died in 1968)
- Mother – Sally Grammer (née Cranmer) (Singer, Actress) (Died in 2008)
- Siblings – Karen Grammer (Younger Sister) (Died in 1975)
- Others – Frank Allen Grammer, Sr. (Paternal Grandfather), Edna M. Weeks (Paternal Grandmother), Gordon Savage Cranmer (Maternal Grandfather), Evangeline Lucille /Lucile Dimmick (Maternal Grandmother), Andy Grammer (Cousin) (Musician), Emmett Emmanual Hesketh (Grandson)
Kelsey is represented by the California-based United Talent Agency.
6 ft or 183 cm
His peak height was noted to be 6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kelsey has dated –
- Doreen Alderman (1982-1990) – Kelsey married actress and dance instructor, Doreen Alderman, in 1982. They became parents to a girl, Spencer Karen Grammer, on October 9, 1983. Her middle name is a tribute to Kelsey’s younger sister, whom he lost when she was 18 years old. Their marriage hit rock bottom within 2 years and after being separated for the next 6 years, the couple got divorced in 1990.
- Barrie Buckner (1991-1992) – Kelsey pursued a relationship with hair and make-up artist, Barrie Buckner, after the dissolution of his first marriage. They were together from 1991 to 1992 and their relationship produced a daughter, Kandace Greer Grammer (b. February 15, 1992) (Actress).
- Leigh-Anne Csuhany (1992-1993) – Exotic dancer Leigh-Anne Csuhany and Grammer got married in September 1992 after meeting in a bar. He claimed that Leigh-Anne was physically abusive with him and he filed for an annulment a year later. She was 3 months pregnant at that time, which ended in a miscarriage.
- Tammi Alexander (1994-1996) – Tammi Alexander and Grammer first met at a bar in California in 1994. They announced their engagement by appearing on the cover of People magazine in December 1994, along with his substance abuse problems. However, they called off their engagement in March 1996.
- Camille Donatacci (1996-2010) – Actress Camille Donatacci and Grammer crossed paths on a blind date in 1996. The following year, he walked down the aisle for the 3rd time in August 1997. They opted for surrogacy and welcomed daughter Mason Olivia Grammer in October 2001 and son Jude Gordon Grammer in August 2004. After being together for over a decade, Camille filed for divorce in July 2010, citing irreconcilable differences and the divorce was finalized on February 10, 2011.
- Kayte Walsh (2010-Present) – Kayte Walsh, daughter of English soccer player Alan Walsh, was working as a flight attendant when she first laid eyes on Kelsey in December 2009. There was an instant connection between the two but Kelsey was still officially married to Camille. They got engaged in December 2010, and 2 weeks after his third divorce was finalized, the couple took their wedding vows in New York City on February 25, 2011. On the behest of Kayte, they had 5 different wedding ceremonies in locations like Los Angeles, Paris, and Las Vegas. Their age difference of 25 years has raised attention but their happy marriage has borne 3 children – daughter Faith Evangeline Elisa Grammer (b. July 2012), son Kelsey Gabriel Elias Grammer (b. July 2014), and son Auden James Ellis Grammer (b. November 2016).
- Cerlette Lamme – Cerlette Lamme and Grammer have had an on and off relationship for 7 years. In 1995, she sued him for invasion of privacy and defamation of character for writing about their relationship in his autobiography, So Far, released in 1995.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, German, Irish, and Scottish ancestry.
However, his hair has turned mostly gray due to his advancing age.
- Receding hairline
- A tattoo near his cr*tch
- Deep, baritone, smooth voice
Kelsey has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Geico Auto Insurance (1999) (Voice Artist)
- Honey Nut Cheerio’s
- Lexus (1996) (Voice Artist)
- MCI (1998) (Voice Artist)
- General Foods International Coffees (1998) (Voice Artist)
- Nizoral A.D. (1999) (Voice Artist)
- The New TNN (2003)
- Helzberg Diamonds (2003)
- Disneyland (2005)
- Schwepps Lemonade (Voice Artist)
- KLSY 92.5 FM
- Hyundai (Voice Artist)
- Snapper Lawnmowers (1991)
- AT&T Wireless and DirecTV (2016)
- Dr Pepper (2008)
Kelsey is a Christian Scientist by faith.
He has credited his religious faith in helping him tide over personal tragedies and his long-standing addiction to alcohol and drugs.
Best Known For
His legendary character Dr. Frasier Crane on NBC’s Cheers (1984-1993) and its highly successful spin-off series, Frasier (1993-2004), which ran for 2 long decades
In 1992, Kelsey made his feature film debut as Peter in the comedy movie, Galaxies Are Colliding.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as a waiter in the soap opera, Ryan’s Hope, in 1979. However, his role was uncredited.
He made his first credited TV show appearance in 1982 as a head paramedic in the drama series, Another World.
Kelsey Grammer Favorite Things
- Episode From ‘Cheers’ – Dinner at Eight-ish (1987), The Triangle (1986)
- Episode From ‘Frasier’ – Ham Radio (1997)
- Line Of Sideshow Bob From ‘The Simpsons’ – “Lisa, you don’t spend ten years as a homicidal maniac without learning a few things about dynamite” from Brother from Another Series episode in 1997
Source – IMDb
Kelsey Grammer Facts
- His parents got divorced when he was 2 years old. Kelsey and his sister were brought up by their mother and grandparents.
- He had 2 stepbrothers when his father remarried. Unfortunately, both of them lost their lives in a shark /scuba accident.
- In 1968, when he was 13 years old, Grammer’s father was murdered.
- Kelsey has portrayed the same character ‘Dr. Frasier Crane’ on 3 different shows – Cheers, Frasier, and Wings (guest appearance in 1992). He received Emmy nominations for his role on all these shows and is the only American actor to be nominated thrice for playing the same character on 3 different shows.
- He and James Arness had each portrayed a single character for the duration of 20 years on prime-time television. Arness had played Marshall Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke from 1955 to 1975. However, actor Richard Belzer surpassed both these actors after having been cast as John Munch on Homicide: Life on the Street and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit for 22 seasons.
- His smooth voice and mid-Atlantic accent made him a successful voice artist. Among his accomplishments are voicing Sideshow Bob on The Simpsons (for which he won an Emmy Award), Stinky Pete the Prospector on Toy Story 2, and several commercials.
- He started his own production company called Grammnet Productions. The company has produced shows like Girlfriends (2000-2008), The Game (2006-2015), and Medium (2005-2011).
- His younger sister, Karen Grammer, was abducted, r*ped, and killed on July 1, 1975. The culprits Freddie Glenn, Michael Corbett, and one other man had found the 18-year-old girl after she finished her shift at Red Lobster in Colorado. Her body was identified by Kelsey, who was just 2 years older to her. His sister’s death left him deeply devastated and led to his subsequent drug addiction and alcoholism.
- He was charged with statutory r*pe of his child’s 15-year-old babysitter in 1995. He was not formally indicted due to lack of physical evidence.
- In September 1996, Grammer crashed his sports car, Dodge Viper, in a state of intoxication. Although unharmed, he quickly got admitted at the rehabilitation clinic Betty Ford Center for 30 days.
- In 1998, he claimed that Internet Entertainment Group (IEG) had stolen a s*x tape from his home. He sued IEG, who countersued him, but the lawsuit was eventually dropped.
- He found himself embroiled in another lawsuit in August 2008 when Bradley Blakeman, a former adviser of George W. Bush, sued him for copyright infringement. According to Blakeman, he had submitted a copyrighted screenplay, called Go November, to Grammer in 2006 in the hopes of developing the project with him. But instead, Grammer played a similar role in the film Swing Vote (2008). The matter was settled out of court for $10 in 2010.
- Even at the peak of his career, his personal life was tormented with drug and alcohol addictions. His co-stars and crew members from both Cheers and Frasier held interventions in a bid to help him. The shooting and rehearsals of the shows were also often delayed due to his problems.
- He had several run-ins with the law due to his substance addiction. He was arrested in 1988 and again in 1990 and was imprisoned for 30 days as well as sentenced to probation, community service, and was also fined.
- He suffered a heart attack on May 31, 2008, while paddleboarding in Hawaii with his wife Camille. Weeks later, he reported that his condition was fatal as his heart had, in fact, stopped. He cited the cancellation of his TV sitcom Back to You in 2008 as the reason for his compounded health problems.
- He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on May 22, 2001, for his outstanding work on television. His star is at 7021 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- His famous co-star Ted Danson has appeared with him on 4 different television series – Cheers, Frasier, Becker, and Gary the Rat.
- He published his autobiography titled So Far in October 1995.
- He got a tattoo of his wife Kayte Walsh’s first name next to his cr*tch in 2012. It was his wife’s way of ensuring that he remained faithful.
- He became a grandfather for the first time in 2011 when his oldest daughter Spencer gave birth to her son, Emmett Emmanual Hesketh, on October 10, 2011.
Featured Image by Sergei ~ 5of7 / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0