|Kevin Parker Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||January 20, 1986|
Kevin Parker is a multiple time award-winning Australian singer, songwriter, record producer, and multi-instrumentalist who is best known under the title of his recording project Tame Impala. What started off as a hobby for Kevin later, put him amongst some of Perth’s most influential musicians. He has released several chartbuster studio albums such as Innerspeaker (2010), Lonerism (2012), and Currents (2015). He is also known for the release of his live album Live Versions (2014) that was placed at #91 on the ARIA Charts. However, he won over the hearts of fans and critics with his ability to be able to create music with several instruments all by himself.
He has also been graced with several awards such as the ARIA Music Awards of 2015 for “Engineer of the Year” and “Producer of the Year”. Kevin has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 1.5 million followers on Instagram, more than 500k followers on Twitter, 1 million plus subscribers on YouTube, and more than 2 million followers on Facebook.
Kevin Richard Parker
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Kevin studied at John XXIII College in Perth. He also enrolled in a university, where he pursued a degree in engineering. However, he then switched to astronomy but dropped out after he received a call from Modular Recordings.
Singer, Songwriter, Multi-Instrumentalist, Record Producer
- Father – Jerry Parker
- Mother – Rosalind Parker
- Siblings – Stuart Parker (Older Brother)
- Others – Rhonda (Step-Mother), Stephen (Half-Brother), Helen (Half-Sister)
Kevin is represented by –
- Spinning Top Music
- Andrew McLaughlin of Universal Music Australia (Australia / New Zealand)
- Kate J and Meghan H of Grandstand Media (North America)
- Dunkin of Bella Union (United Kingdom)
- Debbie of Create Spark
- Ed.Scott of Caroline International (Rest Of The World)
- Booking Agents
- Al of MAKER Agency (Australia / New Zealand)
- Kevin French of Paradigm
- Charlie Myatt of 13artists
Psychedelic Rock, Psychedelic Pop
Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Bass, Keyboard
Kevin is signed to Modular Recordings and Interscope Records.
6 ft or 183 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kevin has dated –
- Juliana Melody Prochet (2012) – Kevin and French singer-songwriter Juliana Melody Prochet collaborated with one another to release their eponymous album on October 2, 2012. The couple also dated one another during that year. However, the duo seemed to have parted ways before making it to the next year.
- Sophie Lawrence (2014-Present) – Kevin married his long-time girlfriend Sophie Lawrence in February 2019, at a vineyard situated in Western Australia. The duo had been dating one another since 2014. He had quite the secretive wedding and had ordered for 150 burgers from McDonald’s. Kevin had also invited Lady Gaga and Mark Ronson to the wedding. However, they both couldn’t make it due to the Grammy function.
Race / Ethnicity
Kevin has Zimbabwean ancestry on his father’s side and South African ancestry on his mother’s side.
His hairstyle and beard resemble that of Jesus Christ.
Kevin has not appeared in any commercials yet.
Best Known For
- His psychedelic rock music
- Releasing several hit albums such as Innerspeaker (2010), Lonerism (2012), Live Versions (2014), and Currents (2015)
- The release of his second self-titled EP that was released on October 8, 2008
- Winning several awards like the ARIA Music Awards of 2015, J Awards (2011), and the Rolling Stone Awards (2011)
Under the name Tame Impala, he released his debut studio album titled Innerspeaker on May 21, 2010. It was compiled of 11 songs in total such as Lucidity, Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind?, Solitude Is Bliss, and Expectation. The album was titled as the 83rd Best Album of the Decade So Far by Pitchfork Magazine. It also won several awards such as the J Awards for Australian Album of the Year, the Rolling Stone award for Album of the Year. It was also placed in Triple J‘s “Hottest 100 Australian Albums of All Time” list.
Kevin Parker Favorite Things
- Song – G.O.O.D Music‘s Surgical Summer track Daytona by Pusha-T
Source – Complex
Kevin Parker Facts
- He was born in Sydney but raised in Perth by his mother.
- Kevin’s parents legally parted ways when he just 3 years old and he went on to stay with his mother until the age of 12, after which he would often go to stay with his father and his step-mother Rhonda in Cottesloe.
- He has a half-sister named Helen who was born to his biological mother from her 2nd marriage. Kevin also a half-brother named Stephen who is the child of his father’s 2nd wife.
- Music came to him at an early age with respect to his father’s musical indulgence. Jerry played in a band that covered the music of artists such as The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and Supertramp. He was also a huge fan of English singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Hank Brian Marvin.
- One of the first instruments that Parker learned to play was the guitar. His father taught him to play the rhythm and would often have Kevin play the rhythm guitar while he would play The Shadow‘s lead riffs.
- Kevin’s older brother Stuart was also a drummer and from there it was that Kevin picked up his drumming skills.
- During his childhood days, he would hold on to the vacuum nozzle as if it were a mike and sing to his heart’s content while his mother was busy cleaning.
- The first guitar he got was given to him by his father.
- When he was in 5th or 6th class he heard Michael Jackson‘s Smooth Criminal (1987) for the first time. Ever since then, he would get hyped and he would enjoy singing it every time he walked down the school corridor.
- The first time that he felt emotions in music was when he heard his father Jerry, play Sleepwalk (1990) by The Shadows.
- He started learning to play the drums when he was 11 years old.
- At the age of 12, Kevin began to experiment with melody. He would use 2 recorders to capture the sound of each individual instrument and play it back while he moved on to record the sound of another instrument. Kevin continued to follow the same process until his father bought him an 8-track tape when he was 16 years old.
- He met guitarist and keyboardist Dominic Simper when he 13 years old. The two attended the same music class at John XXIII College. The 2 would play covers of Korn, Unwritten Law, and Sunk Loto along with 2Day FM‘s presenter Dan Debuf.
- Due to his broken home, Kevin started to feel lonely and sad during his mid-teenage years. According to him, his hit album Lonerism (2012) kind of portrays what he would feel during that point of time.
- At the age of 18, he was playing at pubs and inner-city shows.
- There came a time in Kevin’s life where all that he would do was record music in his garage.
- His music is influenced through a variety of genres played by bands such as The Beatles, Brainticket, Korn, and Demon Fuzz along with many others.
- In 2005, he founded a band called The Dee Dee Dums. With the band, he won several contests such as the Ampfest in 2005, The Next Big Thing, and the National Campus Band Competition. Later, he changed the band’s name to Tame Impala in 2007.
- In the past, he worked as a law clerk whose job was to deliver court documents.
- Parker’s father never wanted him to do music as a way of earning money because he believed that it would take away the true feeling of creating it. In order to keep his father happy, he even gave up the idea for a short while and started to pursue a degree in engineering but soon got bored and started studying astronomy. However, when he was contacted by Modular Recordings he couldn’t help but take the opportunity.
- His father battled with cancer for almost a year before passing away at the time when Kevin was working on his debut album Innerspeaker (2010).
- In 2018, Argentinian pop-star Pablo Ruiz accused Parker of making a complete rip off his song Oceano (1989). The song that Pablo referred to was Feels Like We Only Go Backwards from Kevin’s second studio album Lonerism (2012).
- In the past, 20 of his demo songs were leaked via YouTube. He had created them only for his friends and himself.
- In 2009, his fellow Tame Impala mates Jay Watson and Nick Allbrook took him on as the drummer for their rock band called Pond.
- Kevin formed a second band called Mink Mussel Creek in 2005 alongside Tame Impala members Nick Allbrook, Shiny Joe Ryan, and other friends. They released their first album titled Mink Mussel Manticore in 2011.
- He prefers to tune his guitar down two semitones to a D standard so that he can experiment with the melody that he hears while tuning.
- His song Elephant (2012) was featured in the Blackberry‘s 2015 commercial titled Keep Moving.
- In 2017, he released his 7th studio album titled The Weather (2017).
- He has collaborated with several well-known artists like Mark Ronson, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Travis Scott, and A$AP Rocky.
- Kevin lost $40,000 worth of studio gear and was lucky enough to survive the blaze of the Woolsey Fire that burnt down his rented house in Malibu Hills in 2011.
- Visit his official website @ tameimpala.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Abby Gillardi / Flickr / CC BY 2.0