|Kostas Manolas Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||June 14, 1991|
Kostas Manolas made a stunning start to his professional career with AEK Athens. He was named ‘Man of the Match’ in 5 out of his first 7 matches. With Athens based club in serious turmoil and embroiled in financial troubles, Manolas decided to move to Olympiacos in the summer of 2012. It was at Olympiacos that he got a serious taste of winning titles and playing at the highest level in Europe. He soon agreed to a move to AS Roma and with the Italian club, he has established himself as one of the finest defenders in the league.
Kostas Manolas started his soccer education with the youth setup of Pannaxiakos. He later joined Thrasyvoulos’s youth setup in 2007.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Nikiforos Manolas
- Mother – Flora Latina Manolas
Kostas Manolas is represented by Ioannis Evangelopoulos.
40 – Thrasyvoulos Fylis
24, 4 – AEK Athens
24 – Olympiacos Piraeus
44 – AS Roma
4, 5 – Greece National Team
6 ft 2½ in or 189 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kostas Manolas has dated –
- Niki Prevezanou (2016-Present) – Kostas got married to Greek model Niki Prevezanou in June 2016 in a romantic wedding ceremony held at Kavuras Resort in his hometown. They had been dating for quite a long time by the time they got married. They had even become parents to a baby girl named Kostantina. In July 2017, Niki gave birth to their second daughter, Flora.
Race / Ethnicity
Often keeps medium stubble beard
Kostas Manolas has a personal endorsement deal with Nike and as per the clauses of the deal, he is required to wear Nike shoes for his professional matches.
Best Known For
- Having played for the leading Greek clubs – AEK Athens and Olympiacos. He managed to make 85 appearances for the former, while 73 appearances for the latter before leaving.
- Being an integral part of AS Roma’s defensive line. Ever since his move to the Italian club in 2014, he has been a constant presence in the heart of the defense.
First Soccer Match
- In 2008, he made his professional debut with the Greek club Thrasyvoulos. He made 6 appearances in his debut season with the club.
- In March 2010, he made his debut for AEK Athens in a Super League Greece match against AO Kavala. His side won the match by 3-0 and he was recognized as Man of the Match.
- In August 2014, he made his first appearance for AS Roma in the opening game of Serie A campaign. Roma managed to defeat Fiorentina by 2-0 in the match.
- In February 2013, he made his first start for the Greece national team in a friendly match against Switzerland.
- Reading of the game
- Versatility, which allows him to excel in high line as well as deep defensive line
- Aerial ability
Kostas Manolas doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
Kostas Manolas Favorite Things
- Childhood Hero – Stelios Manolas (His uncle)
- Sport Apart From Soccer – Basketball
- Best Opponent – Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- Best Player – Francesco Totti
- Stadium Apart From Stadio Olimpico – Karaiskakis Stadium
Source – AS ROMA
Kostas Manolas Facts
- While growing up, he played a lot of sports. He was even in school’s basketball and volleyball teams.
- When he started playing soccer with a local team in his hometown at the age of 9, he used to play as a striker.
- In June 2009, he moved to AEK Athens on a three-year deal. He was brought to the club by his uncle Stelios Manolas, who was the AEK Athens’ technical director. Stelios had scouted his nephew with AEK manager Dušan Bajević at a youth match.
- In May 2010, he scored his first goal for AEK Athens in a match against Olympiacos. He had broken a jugal bone in the first minute of the match but fought through the pain to score in the 6th minute. He was eventually substituted in the 15th minute.
- He refused to go to the hospital before the end of the match. His uncle and club director, Stelios tried to convince him but weren’t successful. The following day, he had to undergo 3 hours long surgery.
- At the end of the 2010-2011 season, he won the first trophy of his season as his club won Greek Cup. He also signed a contract extension at the end of the season to secure his stay at the club until 2014.
- When he signed a contract extension with AEK Athens, he was heavily courted by European sides such as Wolfsburg, Sevilla, and Werder Bremen.
- In January 2012, Athens agreed to a transfer deal with Everton but Manolas rejected the move as he felt it would leave the team in a poor state as there would be only three central defenders left. Plus, as the offer came on the deadline, the club won’t be able to sign a new player.
- After the expiry of his contract with AEK Athens, he decided to join Olympiacos in July 2012 and signed a 4 year deal with the club. During his stay with the club, he won two consecutive Superleague Greece titles and a Greek Cup.
- In August 2014, AS Roma paid an estimated fee of €15 million to Olympiacos to sign Manolas. He was also pursued by Juventus but he decided to shun league winners to join the capital club.
- In December 2015, he was involved in a heated exchange with his teammate Miralem Pjanic over the ball possession misunderstanding. It was reported that their fight continued to rage on in the dressing room after the end of UEFA Champions League match against BATE Borisov.
- In October 2016, he made his 100th appearance for AS Roma in a 4-1 romp against Palermo in a Serie A match.
- In May 2017, he was involved in a tussle with teammate Diego Perotti during team training. Their teammates had to intervene to stop their fight from escalating. It also helped that manager Luciano Spalletti sent them to the dressing room to cool off.
- In December 2017, he signed a contract extension with AS Roma to extend his stay with the club to 2022. The new contract also increased his release clause to €35 million.
- In April 2018, he got an opportunity to captain Roma for the first team in a Serie A match against SPAL. His side managed to win the away match by 3-0.
- During Greece’s World Cup qualifier game against Bosnia and Herzegovina, he got into a fight with his Roma teammate Edin Dzeko. After the match, it turned into a farce as several players and staff members got involved in an ugly brawl.
- Follow him on Instagram.
Featured Image by Football.ua / Football.ua / CC BY-SA 3.0