|Kunal Kapur Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 18, 1979|
Kunal Kapur is an Indian chef, restaurateur, author, and TV personality who started his career around 2000 with the Taj Group of Hotels, a chain of Indian luxury hotels. In the mid and late 2000s, he had worked as an executive chef at a restaurant called Dawat & Taal in Kuwait and as a cluster chef at The Claridges Hotel in New Delhi. Between October 2008 and December 2015, he was the executive sous chef at the Leela Kempinski in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. In 2018, he opened a restaurant called Namak By Kunal Kapur in Abu Dhabi and has served as its chef-patron. He has also served as a co-judge of MasterChef India, the Indian version of the globally popular competitive cooking game show franchise MasterChef Australia, in the show’s 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th seasons (2010, 2011–2012, 2013, and 2016). He runs a very popular, self-titled YouTube channel where he shares his recipes and provides cooking masterclasses. The channel has amassed more than 5 million subscribers.
New Delhi, India
Kunal had attended the St. Francis De Sales School, a co-educational private English medium school in his hometown of New Delhi. After his high school graduation, he joined the Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition (IHM Chandigarh), one of the 21 central IHMs set up by the Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India, in Chandigarh, India.
He had graduated from there in 2000 with a diploma in hotel management. In parallel, he had also attained a B. Com. (Bachelor of Commerce) degree from The University of Delhi, a collegiate public central university in New Delhi.
Chef, Restaurateur, Author, TV Personality
- Siblings – He has a sister.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kunal has dated –
- Ekta Kapur – Through his long-term marriage to Ekta, Kunal has a son named Ranbir Kapur (b. 2012).
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-parted, quiff hairstyle
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
Kunal has served as the brand ambassador for Tupperware, the iconic kitchen storage products company. He has launched their new products in Delhi.
Kunal Kapur Facts
- In January 2008, India Today, a weekly Indian English-language news magazine rated Kunal as ‘The Best Indian Chef in New Delhi’.
- In 2011, he was invited as a guest judge in the semi-final of the 2nd season of MasterChef America.
- His name was once cited by the Limca Book of Records for creating India’s largest chocolate tower.
- He has hosted multiple cooking and travel-based TV shows including Pickle Nation, Thalis Of India, My Yellow Table, Curries Of India, and Foodie Comes to America. For his hosting of Thalis of India, he won the Epicurean Guild Award in the category of ‘Best Food Entertainer’ in 2017.
- He has published the books – A Chef in Every Home: The Complete Family Cookbook (2014) and Kunal Kapur in the Kitchen: Family Meals (2021).
- He actively trains underprivileged and/or unemployed youth in food production and educates them with the right kitchen skills and techniques to help them become small-scale entrepreneurs or food hawkers. He does this in collaboration with United Ways Delhi, a non-profit organization.
- He also works closely with the National Association of Streer Vendors in India to improve the lives of food hawkers in India.
- He has been a part of the league of Elite Star Chefs for the German airlines Lufthansa for whom he has customized menus for first and business class passengers.
- His hobbies/interests include traveling and photography. Besides cooking, he is also passionate about automobiles, technology, and history.
Featured Image by Kunal Kapur / Instagram