|Kwon Soon-woo Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||December 2, 1997|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Kwon Soon-woo is a South Korean professional tennis player who is adept at both the singles and the doubles formats of the sport having been rated as high as world number 52 in singles in November 2021 and world number 269 in doubles in May 2022, as per the official ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) rankings. At Grand Slam tournaments, in the singles format, he had reached the 3rd round of the 2021 French Open. As of mid-August 2022, he had won a solitary singles title on the ATP Tour – the 2021 Astana Open (ATP 250 Series). At Grand Slam tournaments, in the doubles format, he had reached the 3rd round of the 2022 Australian Open.
Sangju-si, North Gyeongsang, South Korea
Seoul, South Korea
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Kwon Younghun (Amateur Tennis Player, High School Geography Teacher)
- Mother – Eunmi
- Siblings – Hakyung (Older Sister) (Beauty Pageant Contestant), Sookyung (Sister)
He has been represented by Leeco Sports Agency, Athlete Management & Sports Marketing Firm, Seoul, South Korea.
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kwon Soon-woo has dated –
- Yubin (2023-Present) – In May 2023, it was confirmed that Kwon Soon-woo was dating singer Yubin.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Korean descent.
- Toned physique
- Always plays with a baseball cap on
- Clean-shaven look
- Has a mole on his chin
He has been sponsored by –
- Fila Holdings Corp. (sportswear manufacturer based in South Korea)
- Head Sport GmbH (American-Austrian sports equipment manufacturing company)
- Flex (South Korean software company)
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. (American legacy carrier)
- El Roel (multinational cosmetics brand)
Kwon Soon-woo Favorite Things
- Tennis Surface – Hard
- Tennis Shots – Down-the-line Forehand, Drop Shot
- Hobbies/Interests – Singing, Frequenting Karaoke Clubs, Watching Movies
Source – ATP Tennis, Wikipedia
Kwon Soon-woo Facts
- He started playing tennis when he was about 10 years old after being introduced to the sport by his father, a talented amateur tennis player. Kwon, until then, had dreamt of becoming a soccer player.
- He moved to the capital city of Seoul at the age of 16 to avail better training facilities. There, he used to attend high school with fellow future professional tennis player Lee Duck-hee.
- In August 2019, after reaching the quarter-final stage of the 2019 Los Cabos Open, as a qualifier, he broke into the ‘Top 100’ of the official ATP singles rankings for the first time in his career.
- In February 2020, at the Mexican Open, his first ATP 500 event, he upset then world number 24 Dušan Lajović in straight sets to reach the quarter-final stage where he lost to eventual champion Rafael Nadal.
- When he won his first title on the ATP Tour (the Astana Open in September 2021), he became the first South Korean to win a title on the ATP Tour after Lee Hyung-taik’s triumph at the Sydney International in 2003. He also became just the 2nd South Korean player to have won a tour-level title in the Open Era.
- Consequently, by the end of that month, he had reached a new career-high position of number 57 on the official ATP singles rankings. About a month later, in early November 2021, he achieved his peak career singles ranking of 52.
- He likes eating chocolate, particularly Kit Kat, during in-match breaks.
Featured Image by Kwon Soon-woo / Instagram