|Kyle Shanahan Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||December 14, 1979|
Kyle Shanahan is an American football coach and TV personality. He is best known as the 20th head coach for the San Francisco 49ers in the National Football League (NFL) starting on February 6, 2017, replacing Charles “Chip” Edward Kelly.
Kyle Michael Shanahan
Uncle Cool, Stressball
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
He enrolled in Saratoga High School in Saratoga, California, the United States in 1994. He then attended Cherry Creek High School in Greenwood Village, Colorado, United States.
Kyle initially accepted a scholarship offer to attend Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, United States. At the last moment, he changed his mind and enrolled in the University of Texas at Austin in Austin, Texas, United States through the Texas Longhorns football program scholarship. He graduated in 2003.
Football Head Coach, TV Personality
- Father – Michael “Mike” Edward Shanahan (Former NFL Head Coach for Denver Broncos between 1995 and 2008)
- Mother – Peggy Shanahan
- Siblings – Krystal Shanahan (Sister)
- Others – Edward Shanahan (Paternal Great-Grandfather), Dorothy Shanahan (Paternal Great-Grandmother), Nancy O’Donnell (Mother-in-Law) (Teacher) (Passed away on January 31, 2002). He has nieces and nephews.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kyle Shanahan has dated –
- Amanda “Mandy” O’Donnell (2002-Present) – He met Mandy during his time in Cherry Creek High School and they briefly dated for one summer. They reconnected during university in 2002 and married on July 5, 2005. They have 3 kids – the oldest daughter, Stella Shanahan (b. 2008), their only son, Carter Shanahan (b. 2010), and youngest daughter, Lexi Shanahan (b. 2013). During his university days, Kyle was a big fan of rapper Lil Wayne, whose full name is Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., and named his son after him. Lil Wayne sent him autographed pictures and CDs as a gift when he heard the news. Kyle has had a ‘ritual’ of creating a 400-song playlist to mark the birth of each of his children, as well as the birth of his nieces and nephews.
Race / Ethnicity
Kyle Shanahan Facts
- On January 11, 2008, Kyle was officially promoted from the position of a quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator for Houston Texans. This made him the youngest coordinator in NFL, more than 3 years younger than New England Patriots‘ coordinator, Josh McDaniels.
- During a State of the Franchise event in 2017, Kyle revealed he was a big fan of hip-hop/rap music and rapper Drake in particular.
- One of his best friends is a former football player Chris Simms. Their friendship started back at the University of Texas. Chris revealed that Kyle has to be in control of the music at any gathering he attends. The only problem – he never lets the previous song finish before playing another.
- In the 2019 season, as the head coach for San Francisco 49ers, Kyle became the 3rd coach to begin 8-0 with a previous 0-8 season start. The previous 2 coaches who achieved the same were Marvin Lewis and Tom Landry.
- Kyle has developed an exact pre-game routine he never deviates from. He sends his wife a text message similar to “Things are about to get weird.” He then finds a solitary place to examine his game plan. He must have his coffee at a ‘perfect’ temperature, and 4 red pens at his side. Before he goes out on the field, Kyle holds the good-luck-charm his son Carter gave him and looks at the picture of his family. Just before he exits the locker room, Kyle, a big advocate for yoga, does a 45-second headstand.
- He has sometimes been described as “arrogant” by the media and people who don’t know him. Kyle defends it by saying he’s too “locked in on the job” and often doesn’t wave or say “hi” back. His wife described him as a “goofball” and “very sensitive” outside of his professional life.
- He has an unfortunate habit of losing his wallet.
Featured Image by San Francisco 49ers / YouTube