|Lea Salonga Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||February 22, 1971|
|Spouse||Robert Charles Chien|
Lea Salonga is a Filipina singer and actress who is widely regarded as one of the greatest musical theater artists of her generation and had become globally popular for providing the singing voice to the characters of Princess Jasmine in the animated musical fantasy film Aladdin (1992) and Mulan in the animated musical historical action-adventure film Mulan (1998).
Maria Lea Carmen Imutan Salonga
Lei, Tata, Manang, Pride of the Philippines
Ermita, Manila, Philippines
She splits her time between Manila, Philippines, and Los Angeles, California, United States.
Lea had graduated, in 1988, from the Operation Brotherhood Montessori Center Incorporated in San Juan, Metro Manila. She had also trained at the extension program at the University of the Philippines‘ College of Music.
Later, she had been enrolled at the Ateneo de Manila University where she was studying biology but had to drop out within a year as her career in the entertainment industry was taking off. Years later, in 2000, while working in New York, she had taken 2 courses (Philosophy and European History) at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts at Fordham University in New York City.
- Father – Feliciano Genuino Salonga (Former Naval Rear Admiral, Shipping Company Owner) (d. 2016)
- Mother – María Ligaya Alcantara (née Imutan)
- Siblings – Gerard Salonga (Younger Brother) (Orchestral Conductor, Musical Arranger, Music Director), Jeff Salonga (Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Shiela Salonga (Adopted Sister), Feliciano Salonga y Peña (Paternal Grandfather), Florentina Pingul Genuino (Paternal Grandmother), Leocadio Villacosta Imutan (Maternal Grandfather), Carmen Malhabour Alcantara (Maternal Grandmother), Shay Mitchell (First Cousin, Once Removed) (Actress, Model, Entrepreneur), Divina Francisco (Sister-in-Law) (Violinist). She has a nephew and a niece.
She is represented by –
- Josh Pultz, Manager & Booking Agent, Amplified Entertainment, New York City, New York, United States
- Michael Gagliardo, Media & PR Agent, 42West, New York City, New York, United States
- Sarah Fuller, PR Agent, True Public Relations, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Robert S. Perlstein, Legal Agent, New York City, New York, United States
Pop, OPM, Musical Theatre
- Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Arista Records
- Capitol Records
- PolyEast Records (formerly EMI Philippines)
- Sony Music Philippines
- Warner Music Group (WMG)
- Walt Disney Records
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lea has dated –
- Richie Grau (1995-1999)
- Michael K. Lee (2000-2001)
- Robert Charles Chien (2002-Present) – Lea began dating a Chinese-Japanese managing director of an entertainment software company named Robert Charles Chien, in 2002. The couple got married, in Los Angeles, on January 10, 2004, and have a daughter together named Nicole Beverly Chien (b. 2006).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Filipino (Kapampangan, Tagalog) descent.
- Petite frame
- Side-parted, neck-length hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
Lea Salonga Favorite Things
- Colors – Blue, red, and purple
- Food – Filipino, Japanese, Chinese, Korean (in decreasing order, Filipino the most favorite)
- Anime Series – Voltes V (1977-1978)
- Video Games – Assassin’s Creed, Final Fantasy
Source – Us Magazine
Lea Salonga Facts
- She holds the record for being the first Asian woman to win the prestigious Tony Award.
- By signing with Atlantic Recording Corporation in 1993, she had become the first Filipino artist ever to have signed a contract with an international record label.
- In 2011, she was named a ‘Disney Legend’ for her prolific work with The Walt Disney Company.
- She is an avid video game enthusiast.
- As of November 2020, she had 5 ear piercings – 2 on her right ear and 3 on her left ear.
- She learned to drive at the age of 30.
- Lea loves quick costume changes.
- Lea used to play the classical piano growing up. She still can play up to some extent.
- She can move her ears without touching them with her hands. According to her mother, it is a quality that has been passed on from her family.
- According to Lea, she also got one quality from her father’s family, which is picking up things from the toes.
- She can do knitting and crochet basic things such as scarves, stuffed animals, placemats, etc.
- When the animated series Challenge of the Superfriends is running on TV, she actually stops everything to watch it.
- She feels naked when she is not wearing a watch.
- She can type without looking at the keyboard. She learned typing in her freshman year of high school.
- She loved mathematics when in school.
- In October 2010, she was appointed Goodwill Ambassador for Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).
- She is a night person.
- She is good at baking sourdough bread.
- She cannot watch horror movies.
- Lea has a habit of collecting elephants with their trunks raised as they bring good luck to her.
- Lea’s go-to karaoke song is Dancing Queen by ABBA.
Featured Image by Lea Salonga / Instagram