|Lionel Richie Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||June 20, 1949|
Lionel Richie is an American singer, songwriter, musician, actor, instrumentalist, and record producer. He has released multiple albums including Dancing on the Ceiling, Lionel Richie, Louder Than Words, Time, Can’t Slow Down, Just for You, Coming Home, Just Go, Renaissance, and Tuskegee. Apart from his career as a solo artist, he has also been a member of the funk and soul band Commodores, which has also released a number of albums like Machine Gun, Hot on the Tracks, Commodores, Caught in the Act, Natural High, Movin’ On, Commodores 13, Heroes, Midnight Magic, Rock Solid, United, Nightshift, and No Tricks. The band has been inducted into the Alabama Music Hall of Fame and Vocal Group Hall of Fame. One of the world’s best-selling artists of all time, Lionel Richie has also won 3 Grammy Awards, including “Album of the Year” for Can’t Slow Down.
Lionel Brockman Richie Junior
Lionel Richie, Lionel
Tuskegee, Alabama, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Lionel went to Joliet Township High School in East Campus.
After he finished high school, he attended the Tuskegee Institute. He was offered a tennis scholarship, which he accepted. Eventually, he dropped out from Tuskegee Institute after his sophomore year, to pursue his musical career.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actor, Instrumentalist, Musician
- Father – Lionel Brockman Richie (Joliet Arsenal, Armcom)
- Mother – Alberta R. Foster (Principal at Eliza Kelly Elementary School)
- Siblings – Deborah (Younger Sister)
- Others – Harlow Winter Kate Madden (Granddaughter), Sparrow, James Midnight Madden (Grandson), Charles A./E. Richie (Paternal Grandfather), Ida J. Garfield (Paternal Grandmother), Albert Davidson Foster (Maternal Grandfather), Adelaide M. Brown (Maternal Grandmother)
Lionel Richie has been signed to –
- Lbr Touring Inc., Company, Santa Monica, California, United States
- Red Light Management, Music Artist Management Company, Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Soul, R&B, pop-rock, pop, soft rock, gospel, country
Vocals, keyboards, piano, saxophone, drums
Island Records, Mercury Records, Motown Records, AAMG
His net worth had been $200 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
171 lbs or 77 kg
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lionel Richie has dated –
- Cynthia Weil – Lionel had an encounter with the American songwriter Cynthia Weil back in the day.
- Brenda Harvey (1974–1993) – Lionel commenced dating American girl Brenda Harvey in 1974. On October 28, 1975, Lionel and Brenda got married. In 1986, Lionel started a relationship with Diana Alexander despite being married to Brenda. In 1988, Lionel separated from Brenda, as she discovered that Lionel was making out with Alexander in a hotel in Beverly Hills. She broke into the hotel room and found the two lovers together and launched a brutal attack on the duo. She was arrested and charged for assault and spousal abuse on Diana Alexander. Lionel and Brenda separated on August 9, 1993. They adopted a two-year-old girl Nicole Camille Escovedo from one of the members of Lionel’s band The Commodores. They adopted Nicole legally when she was nine, and raised her as their own daughter.
- Diana Alexander (1986–2004) – He started dating Diana Alexander in 1986, while he was still married to Brenda. Lionel married Alexander on December 21 in 1995. Lionel and Diana’s marriage lasted for 9 years and they got divorced in January 2004. Together, they had children, Myles Brockman (born May 27, 1994) and Sofia (born August 26, 1998).
- Dawn Mangrum (1993) – He hooked up with actor Dawn Mangrum in January 1993.
- Bai Ling (2009) – In 2009, Lionel started dating Chinese actress Bai Ling, but their fling lasted for a very short period.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
Lionel Richie is of African-American, English, Scottish, and French-Canadian descent.
- His mustache
- Plays tennis very well
- Afro hair
11 (US) or 10 (UK) or 44.5 (EU)
Lionel has appeared in TV commercials for Pepsi-Cola (1985), Walkers Crisps (2010), and Bud Light CRAN-Brrr-RITA. He also appeared in several TV commercials for Schlitz Beer with The Commodores.
Best Known For
Lionel is known as one of the best-selling artists of all time. He was a singer and saxophonist in the popular band The Commodores.
Lionel’s debut solo album was named Lionel Richie. This album was recorded while Richie was still a member of The Commodores. The album was released in 1982 by Motown Record and it consisted of 9 songs. The total length of the album was 38 minutes and 27 seconds. It includes the singles Truly that topped the Billboard Hot 100, You Are which reached number four at the music chart, and My Love, which reached number five.
Lionel’s first movie appearance was in 1977. He and the rest of the members of the Commodores were part of the TV movie Scott Joplin as The Minstrel Singers.
First TV Show
Lionel debuted on television with the hit series Misery Bear in 2012. He played the character of Barman.
Lionel Richie Favorite Things
- Food – Duck, plum sauce, sticky ribs
- Songwriter – Bruno Mars
Source – SmartShanghai
Lionel Richie Facts
- Richie wanted to study divinity and become an Episcopalian priest. Eventually, he decided that he wasn’t a priest material and he shifted focus on his musical career.
- Richie is a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.
- On June 20, 2003, Richie was given a star for recording on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- Richie was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1994.
- He left The Commodores in 1982.
- Lionel’s albums sold more than 100 million copies worldwide.
- He is a 5-time Grammy Award winner.
- He won an Oscar for Best Original Song for the movie White Nights.
- His grandmother was a classical pianist.
- In November 2022, Lionel was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
- During the 2022 American Music Awards, he was honored with the “Icon Award”.