|Manu Bennett Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||October 10, 1969|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Manu Bennett has managed to build a career on the back of playing physically demanding roles. His first breakthrough came in the form of a role in Spartacus. Then, he was cast in the role of Allanon in the fantasy drama TV series, The Shannara Chronicles. He further cemented his reputation as a tough guy with the portrayal of the mercenary supervillain Deathstroke in the superhero TV series, Arrow.
Jonathan Manu Bennett
Manu, Jon Bennett
Rotorua, New Zealand
Manu Bennett went to the Merewether High School in Newcastle, Australia. He later got enrolled at the Te Aute College in New Zealand.
Then, he got admission at the iconic Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute on a scholarship.
- Father – Ted Bennett (Singer)
- Mother – Jean Bennett (Bikini Model)
- Siblings – Stephen Bennett (Older Brother) (He was killed in a car accident)
Manu Bennett is represented by LINK Entertainment (Talent Management Company).
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Manu Bennett has dated –
- Karin Horen (2005-2012) – In 2005, Manu started going out with Israeli socialite Karin Horen. They had met in Sydney after she had moved into the city to attend Sydney University. She later moved to Melbourne after he was cast in the TV show, Spartacus. In 2007, she gave birth to their daughter, Mokoia Bennett. Their second daughter, Huia Bennett, was born in 2010 and she was followed by Pania in 2012. As per reports, they separated in the same year. However, their split wasn’t confirmed until 2017.
- Cynthia Addai-Robinson (2011-2013) – According to media reports, Bennett started dating actress Cynthia Addai-Robinson in 2011. Their affection for each other had grown on the sets of the show, Spartacus, in which they shared an on-screen romantic equation.
- Chantel Elloway (2013-2014) – He hooked up with Canadia glamour model Chantel Elloway towards the end of 2013. Their short-lived romance came to an end in the summer of the following year.
- Luna Voce (2015) – In July 2015, Manu was reported to be going out with Italian beauty Luna Voce, who was crowned Miss Universo Italia in 2013. He even decided to bring her along as his date at the Entertainment Weekly celebration during Comic-Con International in San Diego, California.
Race / Ethnicity
On his mother’s side, he has Scottish ancestry. While on his father’s side, he is of Irish and Māori (specifically Te Arawa and Ngāti Kahungunu) descent.
- Stocky build
- Long hair
Best Known For
- Having played the role of Crixus in the British historical action TV series, Spartacus
- Being cast in the role of Slade Wilson / Deathstroke in the superhero action TV series, Arrow
- Having played the role of Allanon in the fantasy drama TV series, The Shannara Chronicles
In 2001, he made his theatrical film debut in the Australian drama movie, Lantana.
First TV Show
In 1993, Manu Bennett made his first TV show appearance in the Australian series, Paradise Beach.
Manu Bennett regularly hits the gym to keep his shredded physique in top shape. However, his workout timings and workout regimes depend on the role he is preparing for. When he is busy with shooting, he tries to work out at 5 am or after 7:30 am.
To prepare for his role in Spartacus, he used to rely on notorious Gladiator Boot Camp to bulk his physique up. He had to train for 4 hours a day. His daily training included circuit training sessions, sprints, practicing combat skills, and team games such as tug of war. He also had to eat a clean diet comprising of steamed vegetables, fish, and lean meat with rest of the cast.
For his role in Arrow, he decided to do a lot of swimming, which helped him elongate his muscles. It also helped him softly work his shoulders, which had been suffering from some injuries inflicted by regularly wielding the sword while shooting for Spartacus. He also did a lot of rowing to develop his back muscles.
When he is not working for any film role, he likes to practice hot yoga.
Manu Bennett Facts
- In his audition for Arrow, he mistakenly caused the person reading lines opposite him to pass out. The show producers realized that he was perfect for the role of Deathstroke.
- The maneuver that he used on his fellow reader was taught to him by the US special forces whom he had been visiting in the Middle East when he got a call for the audition.
- When he was a couple of months old, his family moved from New Zealand to Australia.
- After he returned to New Zealand for his college studies, he decided to adopt his Maori name ‘Manu’ and started using it instead of his Christian first name.
- While studying in New Zealand, he used to play rugby for the 1st XV. After returning to Australia, he started playing for the New South Wales Schoolboys Rugby Union Team.
- He eventually decided to quit rugby as he wanted to pursue his interests in classical ballet, piano, and modern dancing. He got enrolled in a drama and dance course in the university.
- He got into professional acting through his girlfriend, who was a ballet dancer. The acting also helped him overcome the traumatic deaths of his mother and older brother.
- In September 2015, he was arrested in San Antonio, Texas, on the misdemeanor assault charges. He had punched a man at the hotel party after having got drunk.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Manu Bennett / Instagram