|Marcos Alonso Mendoza Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||December 28, 1990|
After having started his career at Real Madrid, Marcos Alonso Mendoza decided to make a move to unfashionable Bolton Wanderers to give his stagnating career a push. Within a space of a couple seasons, he had established himself as one of the finest players in the squad. His performances for Wanderers helped him secure a move to Fiorentina. After having struggled initially, he once again proved himself as an effective attacking defender. Soon, he had grabbed the attention of Chelsea FC and he flourished under Antonio Conte.
Marcos Alonso Mendoza
Marcos Alonso started his soccer journey at the youth academy of Spanish heavyweights, Real Madrid.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Marcos Alonso Peña (Former Professional Soccer Player, who played for Barcelona FC and Atlético Madrid)
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Miquel Mendoza (Brother)
- Others – Marcos Alonso Imaz (better known as Marquitos) (Paternal Grandfather) (Former Professional Soccer Player, who managed to win 5 European titles with Real Madrid during his 8 seasons stay with the Spanish club)
Marcos Alonso is represented by Lian Sports.
Left Back, Wing Back
3 – Bolton Wanderers, ACF Fiorentina, Chelsea FC
28 – ACF Fiorentina, Real Madrid
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
85 kg or 187.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Marcos Alonso prefers to refrain from discussing his personal life on the public platform. But, as per his Instagram activity, he is in a relationship with a beautiful woman.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Spanish ancestry.
Marcos Alonso has inked a personal endorsement deal with Nike. As per the clause of the deal, he is required to wear Nike footwear for his professional matches and public appearances.
Best Known For
His successful stint with the Chelsea FC. In his debut season with the club, he managed to win Premier League title. His performances as a wingback in Antonio Conte‘s team played a key role in his side’s successful campaign. He also won an FA Cup in his second season with the club.
First Soccer Match
In April 2010, Marcos Alonso made his professional debut with Real Madrid in away La Liga match against Racing de Santander. He was sent in as Gonzalo Higuain‘s substitute in the 90th minute of his side’s 2-0 win.
In August 2013, he made his first professional appearance for ACF Fiorentina in UEFA Europa League Qualifying Round 1st leg match against Swiss side, Grasshoppers.
In September 2016, he made his first appearance for Chelsea FC in an EFL Cup match against Leicester City. He played full 120 minutes in his side’s 4-2 win.
In March 2018, he made his international debut for Spain in a friendly match against Argentina. He was sent in as Jordi Alba‘s replacement.
- Free kicks
- Attacking movement
- Aerial ability
- Defensive positioning
He doesn’t have any apparent weaknesses in his game.
Marcos Alonso Mendoza Favorite Things
- Food – Japanese
- Childhood Team – Real Madrid
Source – Marcos-Alonso
Marcos Alonso Mendoza Facts
- In 1982, his father Marcos Alonso Peña became the most expensive Spanish league signing after Barcelona FC paid 150 million pesetas to Atlético Madrid to acquire his services.
- Although he was always destined to become a soccer player, he didn’t start to seriously focus on the game until he turned 11.
- While he was at the youth academy of Real Madrid, he played alongside Manchester United playmaker Juan Mata.
- As he struggled to earn substantial opportunities at Real Madrid, he agreed to a move to Premier League team, Bolton Wanderers in July 2010.
- In recognition of his strong performances in the 2012-13 season, he was The Bolton News’ Player of the Year as he managed to secure 37% votes.
- In the summer of 2013, he was offered new contract terms by Bolton Wanderers. However, he still decided to agree to move to the Italian side, ACF Fiorentina.
- After having made just 9 appearances for Fiorentina, he agreed to a loan move to Sunderland in January 2014. He stayed with the English side until the end of the season and made 20 appearances.
- In his first match for Sunderland, he faced Manchester United in the League Cup semi-final first leg. He was named the man of the match by the official broadcaster for his solid performance in his side’s 2-1 win.
- In August 2016, he moved to London as Chelsea FC paid £24 million to Fiorentina to acquire his services. He signed a 5-year contract with his new team.
- He scored his first goal for Chelsea in November 2016 in a premier league match at Stamford Bridge in a 5-0 mauling of Everton FC.
- When he made his international debut in March 2018, his family became the first Spanish family to have played for the national side for three generations.
- In May 2011, he was involved in an accident, which resulted in the death of one of the passengers, a 19-year-old woman. Alonso was driving the car at 112.8 km/h (70 mph) in wet conditions in a 50 km/h (30 mph) zone when his car collided with the wall.
- He was arrested by the authorities following the accident as they also found that he had a blood alcohol level of 0.93 mg per milliliter of blood.
- In February 2016, he was handed a 21 months prison sentence. However, the sentence was later changed to a driving ban of 3 years and 4 months and €61,000 fine. By the time of sentencing, he had already served his driving ban.
- Visit his official website @ marcos-alonso.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Chelsea Debs London / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0