|Martin Luther King Jr. Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 15, 1929|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Christian minister and activist who became the leading force of the Civil Rights Movement which was a decades-long struggle by African Americans to end legalized racial discrimination, disenfranchisement, and racial segregation in the United States. For his remarkable efforts to combat racial inequality through nonviolent resistance, he was honored with the Nobel Peace Prize on October 14, 1964, and became the youngest person to receive the prize.
Michael King Jr.
Martin Luther King Jr., M.L.K.
He was born on January 15, 1929.
He passed away on April 4, 1968, at the age of 39 after he was fatally shot in Memphis, Tennessee, United States.
Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Martin Luther King Jr. graduated from Morehouse College in 1948 with a B.A. in Sociology. Later, he attended Crozer Theological Seminary and graduated with a B.Div. degree in 1951.
He received his Ph.D. degree on June 5, 1955, from Boston University.
Christian Minister, Activist
- Father – Martin Luther King Sr. (Religious Minister)
- Mother – Alberta Williams King
- Siblings – Christine King Farris (Older Sister) (Teacher, Author), Alfred Daniel Williams King I (Younger Brother) (Baptist Minister, Civil Rights Activist)
5 ft 6½ in or 169 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Martin Luther King Jr. had dated –
- Coretta Scott (1953-1968) – He got married to author, activist, and civil rights leader, Coretta Scott, on June 18, 1953, on the lawn of her parents’ house in her hometown of Heiberger, Alabama. They were blessed with 4 children, namely, Yolanda King (b. November 17, 1955), Martin Luther King III (b. October 23, 1957), Dexter Scott King (b. January 30, 1961), and Bernice King (b. March 28, 1963).
Race / Ethnicity
Martin Luther King Jr. was of African-American descent.
- Delivered impactful speeches
- Sported a mustache
Martin Luther King Jr. Favorite Things
- Hymns – “I Want to Be More and More Like Jesus”, “Take My Hand, Precious Lord”
Source – Wikipedia
Martin Luther King Jr. Facts
- In 1963, he was named Time Magazine‘s “Man of the Year”.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day is observed on the 3rd Monday of January each year.
- He was inspired by Mahatma Gandhi’s teachings and once said, “Jesus gave me the message, Gandhi showed me the method.”
- He was assassinated on April 4, 1968, at 6:01 p.m.
- Martin was a fan of the Star Trek: The Original Series (1966).
- Coincidentally, Martin Luther King Jr. had once stated that he would not live to be 40.
- He was friends with Ralph Abernathy, Harry Belafonte, Andrew Young, James Baldwin, Ossie Davis, Tony Bennett, and Otis Moss Jr.
Featured Image by Dick DeMarsico / New York World-Telegram & Sun Collection / Public Domain