|Tony Bennett Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||August 3, 1926|
Tony Bennett is an American singer who is widely renowned as one of the legendary practitioners of jazz and popular music. In a stellar career spanning more than 50 years, he has won 19 Grammy Awards and sold more than 50 million records globally. He is also an accomplished painter whose works have been on permanent public display in several institutions.
Anthony Dominick Benedetto
Tony, Joe Bari
Astoria, Queens, New York City, New York, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Tony had attended the High School of Art and Design in Manhattan, New York City, where he had studied painting and music. He had dropped out at the age of 16.
- Father – Giovanni ‘John’ Benedetto (Grocer) (d. 1936)
- Mother – Anna Maria Benedetto (née Suraci) (Seamstress)
- Siblings – John Benedetto Jr. (Older Brother), Mary Benedetto (Older Sister)
- Others – Giovanni Battista Benedetto (Paternal Grandfather), Maria Suraci (Paternal Grandmother), Antonio Suraci (Maternal Grandfather), Vincenza Suraci (Maternal Grandmother), Dayl Crow (Father-in-Law), Marion Crow (Mother-in-Law), Ronen Helmann (Son-in-Law)
Traditional Pop, Show Tunes, Swing, Jazz, Easy Listening
- Columbia Records
- MGM Records
- Legacy Recordings
- Verve Records
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tony has dated –
- Tura Satana
- Betty Kelly
- Patricia Beech (1952–1971) – Tony had married Patricia Beech on February 12, 1952. They have 2 sons together named Danny Bennett (b. 1954) (TV Producer) and Dae Bennett (b. 1955) (Audio Engineer). They had parted ways in 1971.
- Sandra Grant (1971–1984) – Tony got married to actress Sandra Grant on December 29, 1971. They have 2 daughters together named Antonia Bennett (b. April 7, 1974) (Singer) and Joanna Bennett (Actress). They got divorced in 1984.
- Kathy Simmons (1984)
- Susan Crow (1987-Present) – He had started dating teacher and talent manager Susan Crow in 1987 and they eventually got married on June 21, 2007.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Italian descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Short-cropped hair
- Often sports a mustache
- Puffy face
- Affable smile
Tony Bennett Facts
- Tony’s ailing father was unable to work in his later years and had passed away when Tony was just 10 years old. Consequently, he had started singing for money from the age of 13 and would work as a waiter and singer at several Italian restaurants in and around the area of Queens.
- He had served in the US Army in the later stages of World War II, until April 1945. He was also involved in a mission that led to the liberation of a Nazi concentration camp in Landsberg, Germany. After the war, he had joined the Army military band and used to sing under the stage name ‘Joe Bari’.
- In 2001, he had founded The Frank Sinatra High School of Performing Arts in Queens, New York City, in honor of the iconic musician and his long-time friend Frank Sinatra.
- In September 2011, when his album Duets II had topped the ‘Billboard 200’ chart, he had become the oldest living musician in history to have scaled that peak position. Exactly 3 years later, aged 88, he had broken his own record when his duet album with Lady Gaga, titled Cheek to Cheek, had debuted at number 1.
- In 2016, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease.
Featured Image by Tony Bennett / Instagram