|Martin Ødegaard Quick Info
|5 ft 10 in
|Date of Birth
|December 17, 1998
Martin Ødegaard is a Norwegian professional football player who has played as a midfielder for and captained both Premier League club Arsenal and the Norway national team. Regarded by many as one of the best midfielders in the world, he made his senior international debut for Norway in 2014 (when he was 15 years old) and has set the record for the youngest senior Norway player as well as the youngest player to play in a UEFA European Championship qualifying match.
Drammen, Viken, Norway
Martin Ødegaard finished his compulsory education in Norway.
Professional Football Player
- Father – Hans Erik Ødegaard (Former footballer who played as a central midfielder, Served as assistant manager at Mjøndalen IF from 2009 to 2015, Served as a head coach at Sandefjord)
- Mother – Lene Cecilie Ødegaard
- Siblings – Kristoffer Ødegaard (Older Brother), Emilie Ødegaard (Younger Sister), Mari Ødegaard (Younger Sister)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Martin Ødegaard has dated –
- Helene Spilling – He has been in a romantic relationship with professional dancer and television personality Helene Spilling. She is best known for her stint as a professional dancer in Skal vi danse.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Dribbling skills
Martin Ødegaard has done endorsement work for brands such as Nike, etc.
He was raised in a Christian household and has stated that religious faith is an important part of his life.
Martin Ødegaard Facts
- He started playing football at a young age.
- Growing up, Martin Ødegaard was inspired by Argentine professional footballer Lionel Messi.
- He joined the youth division of Strømsgodset Toppfotball in the year 2009 and went on to train and play with older boys.
- As the Norwegian Football Federation organizes young talents in local district teams, he went on to play his first matches for the Buskerud team in January 2010. He had just turned 11 at that time. All the other players in the match were 2 to 3 years older than Martin and the coach noted: “Handles things brilliantly. Good choices. Good touch, smart in position game”.
- In 2012, Martin Ødegaard started training with the Strømsgodset first team and went on to make his first-team debut the same year in a mid-season friendly against local rivals Mjøndalen IF.
- He was 14 years old when he played for both Strømsgodset‘s junior team (normally aged 17–19) as well as the club’s third team at the fifth tier of Norwegian senior football.
- In January 2015, Real Madrid reached an agreement to sign Martin Ødegaard from Strømsgodset and it was later announced that Ødegaard would train with both the club’s first team as well as the reserves, Real Madrid Castillaa.
- He was included in Time‘s list of “30 most influential teenagers of 2015”.
- On November 30, 2016, he made his first start for Real Madrid, 679 days after signing for the club.
- Martin Ødegaard joined English Premier League club Arsenal on loan until the end of the season on January 27, 2021.
- After signing with Arsenal, he made his debut in a game against Manchester United in the Premier League, coming on as a substitute for Emile Smith Rowe in a 0–0 home draw.
- He was absent from the computer game Football Manager 2015 because of his age but his father later gave permission to use his son’s likeness.
- Martin Ødegaard has often received compliments for his media training, with one Norwegian journalist saying in 2022: “He was so well spoken — almost like he was media trained at home.”
- He is multilingual and speaks English and Spanish in addition to his native Norwegian.
- He met fellow Norwegian professional footballer Erling Haaland when they were on the U-21 national team and they have been friends.
Featured Image by Maryland GovPics / Flickr / CC BY 2.0 DEED