|Matt Lauer Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||December 30, 1957|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Matthew Todd Lauer
New York City, New York, United States
In June 2016, Matt bought Richard Gere’s traditional style retreat known as Strongheart Manor for $36.5 million. The house is located on the peninsula of North Haven and about five minutes away from Sag Harbor.
Matt Lauer went to Greenwich High School. After graduating, he got enrolled at the Scripps College of Communication, School of Media Arts and Studies of Ohio University, which was previously known as the school of telecommunications.
He dropped out of Ohio University in the spring of 1979 after having scored an internship. He was only four credits short of completing his studies. However, he later rejoined the university and received an undergraduate degree in 1997 at the age of 39.
- Father – Jay Robert Lauer (Bicycle-company executive) (Died in 1997)
- Mother – Marilyn Lauer (Boutique owner)
- Siblings – April Lauer Stone (Older Sister) (Human Resources Manager)
- Others – Richard Kolmer (Stepfather), Matthew Jonas Laurer (Paternal Grandfather), Rebecca Sargoy (Paternal Grandmother), Arthur Gentry (Singer) (Maternal Grandfather), Marion Gentry (Maternal Grandmother)
Matt Lauer is represented by the Los Angeles-based Ken Lindner & Associates, Inc.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Matt Lauer has dated
- Nancy Alspaugh (1982-1989) – According to reports, Lauer started going out with television producer Nancy Alspaugh, who has won an Emmy Award, in 1981. After dating for nearly a year, they got married in 1982. They decided to separate after seven years of being married and officially got divorced in 1989.
- Molly Culver – Matt Lauer is rumored to have had an affair with actress Molly Culver in the past.
- Kristen Gesswein (1989-1996) – Matt started going out with TV newscaster Kristen Gesswein in 1989. They allegedly broke up in 1996. And, during the course of their relationship, they had even gotten engaged.
- Margaret Colin (1991) – In 1991, it was rumored that he had an affair with American actress Margaret Colin.
- Tiffany Elliot (1997) – Lauer was reportedly dating actress Tiffany Elliot in 1997.
- Annette Roque (1997-Present) – Lauer met the Dutch model Annette Roque in July 1997 on a blind date. The date had been set up by their mutual friend and stylist Maria Santoro. In April 1998, he proposed to her with a diamond ring in Venice, while on a Where in the World is Matt Lauer? Tour. In October, they got married in a romantic wedding in Water Mill, New York. She gave birth to their son, Jack Matthew in 2001, and they welcomed a baby girl, Romy, in 2004. In September 2006, it was revealed that she was pregnant with their third child and had filed for divorce. In her divorce documents, she had claimed that he had subjected her to cruel and inhumane treatment. Plus, she claimed that he was hostile towards her and had shown extreme anger. In November 2006, she gave birth to their second son, Thijs. And, by the end of the year, they had reconciled their differences and she had dropped her divorce petition.
- Giada De Laurentiis – When Giada De Laurentiis separated from her husband Todd Thompson after 11 years of marriage in January 2015, it was claimed that her affair with Matt Lauer was one of the reasons behind the end of her marriage. However, Matt as well as Giada slammed such rumors and claimed that their relationship has been nothing more than a normal friendship. They had been friends for more than a decade and due to this reason, she was publicly spotted with Matt.
- Natalie Morales (2010) – When Natalie Morales left The Today Show in July 2016, it was reported by the leading American tabloids that her past affair with Matt Lauer was the reason. It had been claimed that Matt had pushed her out as things had become awkward between them after the end of their affair. For the record, the affair was strongly denied by both the parties.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry. While, on his mother’s side, he is of English, Scottish, German, Dutch, and Northern Irish descent.
- Balding hairline
- Strong chin
Matt Lauer has done endorsements for the following brands
- TV Guide Magazine (2017)
- Hampton Classic (2015)
- Team USA Gear (2016)
Additionally, he has also done PSA’s for
- Ad Council
- Hide and Seek (2013)
- Hiding (2014)
- The More You Know
- The World’s Busiest Street (2014)
- Set Rules Online (2015)
- Internet (2013)
- Knowledge is Power (2014)
Best Known For
- Having served as the news anchor and host of the NBC morning TV show, The Today Show.
- Being the co-host of the opening ceremonies for a number of Olympic Games.
In 2007, Matt made his theatrical film debut playing himself in the documentary movie, September Clues.
First TV Show
Lauer made his TV debut by appearing as a host on the Evening show in 1981.
Matt Lauer is one of the fittest news anchors on television. And, he credits his consistent and regular workout for his good physique. He claims that working out in the gym not only makes him physically fit but also serves as a mental outlet that helps him deal with work stress and anxiety. He also likes to go cycling on long trails.
Matt Lauer Favorite Things
- Travel Destination – Colorado
- Movie – The Godfather (1972)
- Book – Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemingway
- Trip of all Time – Easter Island
- Travel Souvenirs – Carved moai statue from Easter Island, and a jade carving from China
- Recipe – Chicken Marbella
Matt Lauer Facts
- In 1997, People Magazine included him on the list featuring the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- He also served as the commencement speaker at his own graduation ceremony in 1997 at Ohio University.
- He has been diagnosed with emetophobia which is an irrational fear of vomiting. He also suffers from mysophobia which is characterized by a severe aversion to dirt and contamination.
- In June 2009, he appeared as the Class Day speaker at the undergraduate commencement ceremonies held at the prestigious Harvard University.
- In January 2017, he became the first individual to have worked as the host of The Today Show for 20 years.
- Matt deleted his Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts after sexual harassment claims on him in November 2017.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0