|Matt Sorum Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 19, 1960|
|Spouse||Adriane “Ace” Harper|
Matt Sorum is an American drummer, songwriter, and singer who is best known as the former drummer of the rock band Guns N’ Roses and as a co-founding member of the hard rock supergroup Velvet Revolver. He is a former member of the British rock band The Cult, the American synthpop band Y Kant Tori Read, and has founded and toured around the world with the American hard rock supergroup Kings of Chaos. He has also released 2 solo studio albums titled Hollywood Zen (2004) and Stratosphere (2014). In 2015, he joined the supergroup Hollywood Vampires as a drummer. Matt was inducted into the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’ as a member of Guns N’ Roses in 2012.
Matthew William Sorum
Matt The Mercenary, Baron Von Storm
Mission Viejo, Orange County, California, United States
California, United States
Drummer, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – David Sorum
- Mother – Joanne Sorum
- Siblings – Daniel J. Sorum (Brother) (d. 2007), Dave Jr. Sorum (Brother), Mark Sorum (Brother), Mike Sorum (Brother)
- Others – Kermit Burdette Sorum (Paternal Grandfather), Corolla Zelphia Paffrath (Paternal Grandmother), Robert Wallace Winslow (Maternal Grandfather), Josephine Gurnee (Maternal Grandmother)
Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Blues Rock, Alternative Rock
Drums, Percussion, Guitar, Vocals
- Atlantic Recording Corporation
- Geffen Records
- RCA Records
- Warner Records Inc.
- Brash Records
- Rok Dok Recordings
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
79 kg or 174 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Matt has dated –
- Roxana Shirazi
- Kai Benson (1978–1985) – Matt married American model Kai Benson in 1978. The couple got divorced in 1985.
- Rebecca Budig
- Sonia Vassi
- Adriane “Ace” Harper (2004-Present) – Matt had first met American singer Adriane “Ace” Harper at a Super Bowl party and the couple began dating soon after, in 2004. They got engaged in December 2011 and were married on October 12, 2013, in Palm Springs, California.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Norwegian, German, Swiss-German, and Czech/Bohemian descent on his father’s side and English, Dutch, and Irish descent on his mother’s side.
- Has his chest and both his arms covered in tattoos
- Often sports a light stubble
- Sports a Mullett
- Affable smile
He has endorsed the cymbals produced by Avedis Zildjian Company, a musical instruments manufacturer.
Matt Sorum Facts
- He got inspired to play the drums, as a 4-year-old, when he watched The Beatles‘ Ringo Starr perform on The Ed Sullivan Show, an American variety TV show, in 1964.
- While he was touring with The Cult in support of their 4th album Sonic Temple (1989), he was noticed by Guns N’ Roses‘ guitarist Slash and on his recommendation, Matt went on to replace the band’s drummer Steven Adler in 1990. He remained with the band till 1997 when he departed after an argument with the band’s lead singer Axl Rose.
- He has contributed as a music director for movies such as Soundman (1998), The Last Marshal (1999), Fish in a Barrel (2001), and Now You Know (2002).
- Matt has also launched 2 books titled Double Bass Drumming and Power Fills Workout (2012) and Double Talkin’ Jive: True Rock ‘n’ Roll Stories from the Drummer of Guns N’ Roses,… (2020).
Featured Image by Matt Sorum / Instagram