|Matthew Rhys Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 8, 1974|
Matthew Rhys is a Welsh producer, director, writer, and an Emmy Award-winning actor best known for his roles in Love and Other Disasters, The Edge of Love, Patagonia, Brothers & Sisters, The Americans, Death Comes to Pemberley, and Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle. He has been associated with Royal Shakespeare Company, New Theatre (Cardiff), and The Young Vic. Matthew is also a patron of organizations like Trust PA, Hijinx Theatre, and Iris Prize.
Matthew Rhys Evans
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Matthew Rhys studied in Welsh schools like Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Melin Gruffydd in Whitchurch, Cardiff and Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf in Llandaff North, Cardiff. Later, he joined the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London.
Actor, Director, Producer, Writer
- Father – Glyn Evans (School Headmaster)
- Mother – Helen Evans (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Rachel Evans (Older Sister) (Journalist)
Matthew Rhys is represented by –
- United Agents Ltd., Talent Agency, London, United Kingdom
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Management 360, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Matthew Rhys has dated –
- Sienna Miller (2007) – Matthew reportedly had a fling with actress Sienna Miller in 2007.
- Keri Russell (2013-Present) – In 2013, Matthew started a relationship with actress Keri Russell. They first met at a kickball party hosted by actress Jennifer Grey. Matthew and Keri starred together in crime drama series The Americans. They have a son together named Sam Rhys (b. May 2016).
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall height
- Lines on his forehead
Matthew Rhys hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
His roles in numerous TV series and films including Whatever Happened to Harold Smith? (1999) as Ray Smith, Love and Other Disasters (2006) as Peter Simon, The Edge of Love (2008) as Dylan Thomas, Patagonia (2010) as Mateo, Brothers & Sisters (2006–2011) as Kevin Walker, The Americans (2013–2018) as Philip Jennings, Death Comes to Pemberley (2013) as Mr Darcy, Burnt (2015) as Reece, Death and Nightingales as Billy, and Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (2018) as John Lockwood, and many others
In 1997, he made his theatrical film debut in the drama film House of America as Boyo.
In 2003, he made his debut as a voice actor in the animated adventure film Y Mabinogi as the voice of Lleu Llaw Gyffes.
First TV Show
In 1997, he made his first TV show appearance on the crime drama series Backup as PC Steve Higson.
In 2000, he made his TV show debut as a voice artist on the TV documentary series A History of Britain.
Matthew Rhys works out regularly. When he was preparing for his character as a Russian spy for the TV series The Americans, he often trained at a gym in Brooklyn called A Train. He had to learn some serious martial arts techniques in Jujutsu, Muay Thai, and Krav Maga.
As for his diet, he had to follow a strict regime. He was put on a no carbs diet in the evenings and was made to eat mostly porridge and sweet potato.
Matthew Rhys Favorite Things
- Takeaway In Whitchurch – Top Gun
- Acting Mentor – Sally Field
Source – Wales Online, IMDb
Matthew Rhys Facts
- His is known as Matthew Tâf in Gorsedd.
- He is good friends with actor Ioan Gruffudd and had shared a flat with the actor for 10 years in London.
- While in Los Angeles, he shared a flat with actor and friend Michael Sheen for some time.
- Audrey Hepburn was his childhood celebrity crush.
- Aberystwyth University honored Matthew as a Fellow on July 15, 2008.
- He received an honor by being accepted as a member of the “Gorsedd of the Bards”, at the Welsh National Eisteddfod on August 8, 2008.
- He supports the social-democratic political party of Wales, Plaid Cymru.
- In 2018, he received the Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series” for his role in The Americans.
- He is the ambassador of Bobath Children’s Therapy Centre in Wales and is associated with Charity Champion.
- He is a patron of numerous organizations including Trust PA, Hijinx Theatre, and Iris Prize.
- Matthew has worked in numerous theater companies including Royal Shakespeare Company, New Theatre (Cardiff), Royal National Theatre, Royal Court Theatre, and The Young Vic, among others.
- In 2010, he produced a television documentary Mr. Hollywood, which highlights the life of Welsh-American industrialist and philanthropist Griffith J. Griffith.
- As a writer, he wrote 1 episode of the TV series Archer in 2015.
- He has worked as a director in some episodes of The Americans (in 2016, 2017, and 2018) and Brothers & Sisters (in 2009, 2010, and 2011).
- In 2016, he co-hosted the TV show The Wine Show for 13 episodes.
- In 2011, he set up his own production company called Patagonia.
- Follow him on Twitter.
Featured Image by Matthew Rhys / Twitter