Llwydcoed, Aberdare, Cynon Valley, Rhondda Cynon Taf, South Wales
Los Angeles, California, USA
Ioan went to three schools, viz., Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Aberdar located in Cwmdare, Ysgol Gymraeg Melin Gruffydd in Whitchurch, Cardiff and Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Glantaf in Llandaff.
Gruffudd has accomplished Grade 8 level in the ABRSM (Associated Board of Royal Schools of Music) music exams.
- Father – Peter Gruffudd (Teacher)
- Mother – Gillian Gruffudd (Teacher)
- Siblings – Alun Gruffudd (Younger Brother), Siwan Gruffudd (Younger Sister)
Ioan is signed with Framework Entertainment.
5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm
174 lbs or 79 kg
Ioan Gruffudd married –
- Alice Evans (2000 – Present) – In 2000, Ioan started dating the British actress, Alice Evans, despite the fact that, at that time, she was in a relationship with Olivier Widmaier Picasso. The actors met for the first time on the set of the movie 102 Dalmatians (2000) and soon after that, they started a relationship. Ioan and Alice got married in September 2007. The couple has two children, Ella Betsi Janet (born – September 6, 2009) and Elsie Marigold (born – September 13, 2013).
Race / Ethnicity
- Deep voice
- Beautiful eyes
10.5 (US) or 9.5 (UK) or 44 (EU)
Ioan hasn’t signed any endorsement contract yet.
Ioan was once a part of the London Church of Christ.
Best Known For
His roles in the movies Titanic (1997) as Harold Lowe, Black Hawk Down (2001) as Lieutenant John Beales, King Arthur (2004) as Lancelot, Fantastic Four (2005) as Reed Richards (Mister Fantastic) and Amazing Grace (2006) as William Wilberforce.
Ioan is also known for his acts in many TV series including Century City (2004), Justice League Unlimited (2005), Ringer (2011–2012), Night of the Hurricane (2011), Monday Mornings (2013), and Castle (2013).
Ioan first appeared in the biographical movie Wilde (1997) playing as John Gray.
First TV Show
As a teenager, Ioan had his first ever television appearance as Dafydd in the TV series Austin in 1986.
Ioan Gruffudd Facts
- On March 28, 2001, Gruffudd achieved the BBC Radio Cymru Show Business Award for Best Actor.
- Ioan is an associate member of RADA (The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art).
- His first language is Welsh.
- For his role in the movie Solomon & Gaenor (1999) as Solomon Levinsky, he learned Yiddish.
- He knows how to play oboe. For several years, as a teen, he used to perform in the South Glamorgan Youth Orchestra.
- He is good friends with the actors Michael Sheen and Matthew Rhys.
- At the age of 13, Ioan had already become a well respected singer and oboe player.
- “Ioan” is a Welsh name, which is equal to “John.” His second name “Gruffudd” is comparable with “Griffith.”
- Follow Ioan on his Twitter and Instagram.