|Roma Downey Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||May 6, 1960|
Roma Downey is a Northern Irish actress, producer, and author who is best known for playing the lead character of Monica in more than 200 episodes of the fantasy drama TV series Touched by an Angel (1994–2003) for which she was nominated twice each in the ‘Best Actress’ award category at both the Emmy Awards (1997, 1998) and the Golden Globe Awards (1998, 1999). She is also well recognized for co-producing the TV mini-series, The Bible (2013), and portraying Mary, mother of Jesus, in it. In 2013, she was included by Variety magazine in its annual list of ‘100 Most Powerful Women in Hollywood’. In 2016, she was honored with a ‘Star’ on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She has also authored the books Love Is a Family (2001) and Box of Butterflies: Discovering the Unexpected Blessing All Around Us (2018).
Derry, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Malibu, Los Angeles County, California, United States
Roma had attended Thornhill College, a Catholic girls school in her hometown of Derry. She had then joined the Brighton College of Art from where she had earned a Bachelor of Arts degree. In 2010, she had earned a master’s degree in Spiritual Psychology from the University of Santa Monica.
Actress, Producer, Author
- Father – Paddy Downey (School Teacher, Mortgage Broker) (d. 1980)
- Mother – Maureen Downey (née O’Reilly) (d. 1970)
- Siblings – John Downey (Older Brother), Lawrence Downey (Older Brother), Jacinta McLaughlin (Sister), Ann Flood (Sister)
- Others – Jean Burnett (Mother-in-Law), Archie Burnett (Father-in-Law), Vanessa Anspaugh (Ex-Step-Daughter), Lawrence Anspaugh (Ex-Father-in-Law), Marie Anspaugh (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Jane Jorgensen (Ex-Sister-in-Law)
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Roma has dated –
- Leland Orser (1986–1989) – Roma had started dating American actor Leland Orser in 1986 and they had got married in a ceremony in Rome in 1987. The couple got divorced in 1989.
- David Anspaugh (1994–1998) – Roma and American director David Anspaugh began dating in 1994 and they got married on November 24, 1995. They have a daughter together named Reilly Marie Downey Anspaugh (b. June 3, 1996). They had parted ways in March 1998.
- Michael Nouri (2000-2003)
- Mark Burnett (2003-Present) – Roma began dating British film and TV producer Mark Burnett in April 2003. He had proposed to her on Thanksgiving Day in 2006 at a family vacation in Zihuatanejo, Mexico, and they got married on April 28, 2007, in Malibu. She has 2 stepsons named Cameron Burnett (Film Director) and James Burnett from Mark’s previous marriage.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of British descent.
- Petite frame
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Affable smile
- Deep voice
Roma Downey Facts
- She was named using the first 2 letters of her 2 grandmothers (Rose and Mary).
- She had once been rejected from a TV commercial, for Irish Spring Soap, as the producers felt that she did not sound Irish enough.
- Roma has been involved as a spokesperson and celebrity ambassador for Operation Smile, a non-profit medical organization that helps young children with facial deformities.
- She has been conferred with 2 honorary degrees – a Doctor of Fine Art from the University of Ulster; and a Doctor of Letters from the Nyack College in New York.
Featured Image by Roma Downey / Instagram