|Melanie Martinez Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||April 28, 1995|
Melanie Martinez is an American singer and songwriter who became a household name after appearing on the talent show The Voice in 2012. She tasted her first commercial when she released her debut studio album Cry Baby in 2015. In 2017, it was certified as ‘Platinum’ by RIAA. Her notable songs include Dollhouse and Pity Party.
Melanie Adele Martinez
Astoria, Queens, New York, U.S.
Melanie went to Plaza Elementary School in Baldwin, New York. Then, she went to Baldwin High School.
Singer, songwriter, music video director, photographer
- Father – Jose Martinez
- Mother – Mery Martinez
Electropop, Indie pop, Alternative rock
Vocals, guitar, banjo, ukulele
5 ft 2 in or 157 cm
46 kg or 101.5 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Melanie Martinez has dated –
- Michael Keenan (2015-2018) – In mid-2015, Melanie started dating music producer Michael Keenan. She confirmed her relationship via Twitter in February 2016. Michael also kept posting about their relationship on Instagram while they were together. They separated in 2018. She also deleted pictures of them together from her social media accounts.
- Oliver Tree Nickell (2019-2020) – In 2019, Melanie started dating singer Oliver Tree. They seemed to have separated in 2020. In July 2020, Melanie had unfollowed Oliver on Instagram and deleted all their pictures from her account.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Puerto Rican and Dominican ancestry.
She dyes her hair to different colors, often.
- A penchant for two-toned hair.
- Septum piercing
- Gapped tooth
33-24-32 in or 84-61-81 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
5.5 (US) or 36 (EU)
With cosmetics company, Lime Crime, Inc., Melanie has released two lipsticks named, Cry Baby and Teddy Bear in 2015 and 2016 respectively.
In October 2016, she appeared in the “Cry Baby Perfume Milk” commercial.
Best Known For
Her first album “Cry Baby” and reaching the top 6 in the singing talent show The Voice.
Melanie debuted with Cry Baby which was released on August 14, 2015. It reached #6 on Billboard 200 and was certified as “Platinum” in the U.S.
First TV Show
In 2012, Melanie was seen as a contestant in the singing reality competition The Voice where she finished in the top 6. She auditioned there by singing Britney Spears’s “Toxic” song.
Melanie’s performances and active lifestyle might be keeping her fit.
Though, she hates vegetables and eats about 5 chocolate chip cookies a day.
Melanie also seemed to have lost weight in 2017 if compared to her 2014 image.
Melanie Martinez Favorite Things
- Food – Chocolate, choco chip cookies
- TV Show – American Horror Story: Freak Show
- Singer – Muddy Waters
- Painters – Mark Ryden, Nicoletta Ceccoli, Aleksandra Waliszewska
- Body Tattoo – Bunny on the forearm
- Vintage Store – Playclothes in Los Angeles
- Movie – Beetlejuice (1988)
- Book – Go Ask Alice (By Beatrice Sparks)
- Album – The Idler Wheel… (By Fiona Apple)
- Horror Film – The Shining (1980)
Melanie Martinez Facts
- Once, Melanie has had stitches on her hand and chin.
- Despite her Puerto Rican and Dominican ancestry, she doesn’t speak Spanish.
- She has a habit of wearing Lacey socks (without wearing shoes) while giving performances onstage. If she wears shoes, she doesn’t tie them.
- Her grandmother inspired her to be a singer.
- She is so fond of body tattoos that she wishes to be a tattoo artist. But, she wanted to be a singer from a young age as singing is her first love.
- Melanie loves vintage things and as a kid, collected stuffed toys, Animal Rummy cards, Valentine’s Day cards from the 1950s and 60s.
- Her fans are unofficially called “Crybabies”.
- While growing up, she listened to a lot of music artists including Biggie Smalls (or The Notorious B.I.G.), Brandy, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Shakira, The Beatles, and Tupac Shakur.
- When in kindergarten, she started writing poetry.
- As a kid, she was very emotional and not social, so preferred to stay at home.
- She was often called “Cry Baby” by others when young (due to her emotional nature). Hence, the name of her debut album “Cry Baby”.
- She learned how to play guitar by herself at 14.
- She is a night owl.
- Melanie is afraid of bees.
- Melanie was included in the 2021 Forbes’ 30 Under 30 list of musicians.