|Memphis Depay Quick Info
|5 ft 9¼ in
|Date of Birth
|February 13, 1994
Memphis Depay first caught attention with his scintillating and explosive playing style with PSV Eindhoven side. He managed to establish himself as the leading attacking player of his side and led the club to Eredivisie title victory in his final season with the club. In the summer of 2015, he moved to United as their coach Louis van Gaal convinced club CEO Ed Woodward that Depay could become the next great number 7 for the club. However, he wasn’t able to achieve any significant success at the club and showed his brilliance in flashes only. However, he was able to get his career on track with a move to Lyon. He has become one of the best attacking players in the French league.
He is based on Lyon, France.
Memphis Depay polished his skills at the youth academy of PSV Eindhoven.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Dennis Depay
- Mother – Cora Schensema
Memphis Depay is represented by Alex Kroes.
Rap, Hip Hop
Winger, Striker, Attacking Midfielder
22 – PSV Eindhoven
7 – PSV Eindhoven, Manchester United
9, 11 – Olympique Lyon
5 ft 9¼ in or 176 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Memphis Depay has dated
- Karrueche Tran (2015) – In October 2015, Memphis was rumored to be dating with American socialite and aspiring model, Karrueche Tran.
- Lori Harvey (2016-Present) – In February 2016, he made his relationship with American actress and model, Lori Harvey, public by sharing a picture of them cuddling in front of the Eiffel Tower. Her father Steve Harvey revealed via a Twitter post that Depay and Lori had got engaged in July 2017. In the early months of 2018, it was speculated that they had ended their relationship. The rumors further intensified in March after she was seen without a wedding ring. However, sources close to them insist that they are still in a relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he has Ghanian ancestry, while on his mother’s side, he is of Dutch descent.
He loves to dye his hair with eye-catching hues including brown and blonde.
- His penchant for extravagant dressing style
He is a devout Christian. He has even got ‘Christ the Redeemer’ tattooed on the left side of his torso.
Memphis Depay has a personal endorsement deal with Under Armour. He wears Under Armour footwear for his professional matches as well as international matches. He has also appeared in a TV commercial for the brand and also uses his social media activity to promote the brand.
Best Known For
Being one of the finest young wingers in the European leagues. He first attracted a lot of attention when he was playing for PSV Eindhoven. His career stalled for a couple of years when he was playing for Manchester United. However, he later resurrected his career after his move to Lyon.
As a Singer
He has collaborated with fellow Dutch soccer player Quincy Promes to release a rap song called LA Vibes Freestyle 1.0.
First Soccer Match
In September 2011, Memphis Depay made his professional debut with PSV Eindhoven in a KNVB Cup second round tie against VVSB. His side managed to demolish amateur side by 8-0.
In August 2015, he made his Premier League debut for Manchester United in a match against Tottenham Hotspur. He replaced Ander Herrera in the second half of a 1-0 win.
In January 2017, Depay made his first appearance for Lyon in a Ligue 1 match against Olympique de Marseille. They managed to win the match by 3-1.
He made his first international appearance for Dutch national team in a World Cup qualification match against Turkey in October 2013. He replaced Jeremain Lens late in the 2-0 win.
First TV Show
In 2013, Memphis Depay made his first TV show appearance in the Dutch talk show, De Dino Show.
Memphis Depay spends a lot of time in the gym apart from soccer training to further improve the physical aspect of his game. He has used altitude mask in his running and soccer drill sessions to improve his aerobic capacity.
To improve his strength and conditioning, he has used high-intensity interval training. He also loves to go for hill sprints and low impact exercises such as swimming.
Depay has also included stretching and low tempo workouts in his regime to strengthen stabilizing muscles that reduce the probability of injuries. For such workout sessions, he focuses on balancing and working his lower body. He uses fitness accessories such as medicine ball and kettlebell for such workouts.
- Two footed
- Long Shots
- Ability to cut in from left
He often loses concentration and focus. He has also been accused of trying to be too flashy and complicated in his play.
Memphis Depay Facts
- He started his soccer journey at the hometown club, vv Moordrecht. While playing for the club, he gained attention from the scouts of the Dutch club, Sparta Rotterdam. He was 8 years old when they seriously considered signing him up.
- He moved to the youth setup of Sparta Rotterdam in 2003. His strong performances at Rotterdam caught the eye of scouts from the leading Dutch clubs such as Ajax, Feyenoord, and PSV Eindhoven.
- In 2006, he agreed to a move to PSV Eindhoven. It was his grandfather’s advice that swayed him away from Ajax. The interesting thing here is that his grandfather was a lifelong Ajax fan but felt PSV was a better option for Depay’s growth.
- In March 2012, he scored his first professional league goal in a match against Heerenveen. The match ended in a 5-1 win for Eindhoven.
- He established himself as one of the finest young attackers in the 2014-15 season as he went on to score 22 goals in 30 league matches. He also helped his side win Eredivisie title at the end of the season.
- In 2015, he was declared Best Young Player by the France Football magazine. He was awarded the Johan Cruyff Trophy, which is awarded to Dutch Footballer of the Year.
- In the summer of 2015, he was courted by the leading English clubs such as Arsenal, Manchester United, and Liverpool. The Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insisted that he hadn’t even seen Depay but PSV director Marcel Brands revealed that Liverpool had enquired about Depay’s availability.
- In June 2015, Manchester United announced that they had signed Depay from PSV. It was revealed that United had paid a reported fee of £25 million.
- Upon his transfer to Manchester United, Depay himself requested the number 7 jersey, which was previously worn by United legends such as David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo, Eric Cantona, and George Best.
- In August 2015, he scored his first professional goal for Manchester United in the Champions League play-offs first leg match against Club Brugge. He went on to score 2 goals in the match and assisted Marouane Fellaini’s goal in a 3-1 win.
- He failed to establish himself during his stay at Manchester United. Some key United figures such as Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney have attributed his struggles to his flashy lifestyle. They felt he was too preoccupied with his designer clothes and expensive cars to focus on his game.
- In January 2017, Jose Mourinho accepted Depay’s request to let him leave the club in winter as he secured a move to Olympique Lyonnais. The French club had paid an estimated transfer fee of £16 million.
- The United management and executives felt that he could recover his lost touch at Lyon and might still become a great player and therefore, inserted a buy-back and sell-on clauses in his contract.
- In March 2017, he scored a sensational goal against Toulouse FC as he scored from the halfway line in his side’s stunning 4-0 victory. He would call it the best goal of his career.
- In June 2014, he scored his first goal for the Dutch national team as he netted the winner in a World Cup group stage match against Australia. He also became the youngest Dutch player to score a goal in a World Cup match.
- He was shortlisted for Best Young Player award for 2014 World Cup along with Raphaël Varane and Paul Pogba. Pogba eventually managed to win the prestigious award.
- He is a big fan of ink art and has got numerous tattoos including ‘dream chaser’ inked on his upper torso. He has got ‘succesvol’ too which translates to successful, inked on the inside of his lip.
- On the final league match of the 2017-18 season, he went on to score a hattrick in a 3-2 win over Nice. The match helped his side seal qualification for the next season’s champions league.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Kathi Rudminat / Flickr / CC BY 2.0