|Mesut Özil Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 15, 1988|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Der Rabe, El Cuervo, The Raven, Der Neue Diego (which means new Diego), Nemo, The Magician
Gelsenkirchen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
West London, England
Özil got his early education at Gesamtschule Berger Feld located near the famous Schalke’s Veltins Arena in playmaker’s hometown.
He started his football education at the club DJK Westphalia, where he was enrolled by his father in 1995. He continued his soccer education with Rot-Weiss Essen, which he joined in 2000 at the age of 11. He stayed with their youth academy for five years before moving to Schalke’s youth academy.
Professional Soccer Player
- Father – Mustafa Özil (Former agent and a former executive at Mesut Ozil Marketing Company)
- Mother – Gulizar Özil (Housewife)
- Siblings – Nese Özil (Sister), Mutlu Özil (Brother), Dugyu Özil (Sister)
He was earlier represented by his father Mustafa.
However, he had a dispute with him, when he divorced his mother. He eventually, hired his brother Mutlu Özil as his agent.
At Werder Bremen, Mesut used to wear a number 11 shirt. He took the same shirt number at the English club, Arsenal as well.
When he joined Real Madrid, he was given the number 10 shirt, which is reserved for the main playmaker in soccer. He dons the same shirt number for his national team as well.
5 ft 9½ in or 176.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mesut Özil has dated –
- Anna Maria Lagerblom (2009-2010) – Mesut started dating beautiful German model Anna Maria Lagerblom in May 2009. After the end of the season, the couple went on vacation together. Anna was a constant presence in the stands during 2010 World Cup, where Ozil made the whole world sit up and notice his tremendous potential. After the world cup, the young star moved to Spanish giants Real Madrid and it was there, their relationship started waning. According to rumors, Anna found it difficult to settle down in the Spanish capital and in September 2010, they ended their relationship and she returned back to Germany.
- Aida Yespica (2012-2013) – Aida Yespica was at the very center of mudslinging showdown between Real Madrid and Mesut’s father when the superstar moved to English side Arsenal. The club through its associated newspapers alleged that Mesut had a mad lust for Aida and used to fly every week to meet her, wherever she was in Europe. It was alleged that this affected Mesut’s performance on the field. Mesut’s representatives denied that his relationship with Aida had any effect on his performances.
- Mandy Capristo (2013–2014 and 2015-2017) – Mesut and Mandy Capristo have been stated as Germany’s answer to England’s Posh and Beck. The German singer and model Capristo started dating Mesut in early months of 2013 and subsequently moved with him to London after his transfer to Arsenal. However, their relationship ended in October 2014 amidst rumors that German player had cheated on his girlfriend. To the delight of their fans, they reunited almost after a year of their separation. They made their relationship public by walking the red carpet together at the Bambi Awards in November 2015 but later parted ways in 2017.
- Melanie Rickinger (2014) – It was RUMORed that Arsenal star’s affair with Melanie Rickinger ended his relationship with Capristo. Mesut was accused by former Bayern Munich player Christian Lell of having a relationship with his girlfriend. He even went on to give screenshots of steamy Whatsapp messages exchanged between Mesut and Rickinger to the German newspaper Bild.
- Amine Gülşe (2017-Present) – Mesut started dating Miss Turkey 2014, Amine Gülşe in the year 2017 and then got married on June 7, 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Turkish ancestry.
- Lanky Frame
- Languid Body Language
Mesut Ozil has a huge fan following amongst his fans, which has helped him pocket lucrative and prestigious endorsement deals. In 2013, he signed a seven-year sponsorship deal worth $35 million with Adidas. In June 2016, he inked a multi-million deal with German car company, Mercedes.
Best Known For
- Creating goal-scoring opportunities for his team
- Intelligent and creative style of play
- Immense following on social media platforms
- Being the most expensive German player at the time of his transfer
- Charity Work
First Soccer Match
Mesut made his La Liga debut for Real Madrid against Mallorca at the Iberostar Stadium on August 29, 2010, in a goalless away draw. He replaced Angel Di Maria in the 62nd minute.
On September 14, 2013, he played his first Premier League match for Arsenal in an away match against Sunderland. Özil got his customary assist in the 11th minute Olivier Giroud goal in a 1-3 win.
His international debut for German national side came in a friendly against Norway played on February 11, 2009.
- Through balls
- Speed of thought
- Ball control
- Ability to read game
- Defensive Contribution
- Long Distance Shots
Bambi Verleihung 2010 was German international’s first film appearance. Though, it was a TV movie where he appeared as himself – Winner in 2010.
He has also been seen in documentaries.
First TV Show
Mesut made his first TV appearance in the news sports show Das aktuelle Sportstudio as himself in an episode dated August 7, 2010.
Nearing 2015, Özil strengthened his slim frame to handle the rough aggressive style of play often seen in the English top division. He has revealed in interviews that he has been hitting the gym to improve his game and to cut out injuries, which has plagued him in the post. He also claimed that his goal isn’t to get big muscles. He has been hitting gym to become quicker and more explosive in the attacking third.
Mesut has also made changes to his diet to cut out injuries from his game. He has shunned fuzzy drinks in favor of green tea and has been guzzling lots of water. He has also stopped eating bread and pasta.
Mesut Özil Favorite Things
- Food – Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream
- Singer – Kanye West
- Music – Turkish Pop
- Player – Cristiano Ronaldo
- Car – Mercedes G-Class
Mesut Özil Facts
- Mesut is a devout Muslim and recites lines from the holy Quran before every match. He also observes fast during the holy month of Ramadan.
- In May 2016, he performed the Umrah pilgrimage to Mecca, which is customary for practicing Muslims.
- He was a shy student at the school.
- Mesut’s partial boarding education institute is well known for having famous soccer players as students including Julian Draxler, Manuel Neuer, Alexander Baumjohann, Benedikt Höwedes, and Joël Matip.
- For his superb performances at the 2010 World Cup, he was nominated for the Golden Ball Award, which is given to the best player of the tournament.
- Due to his style of play, he was compared to French legend Zinedine Zidane by his then Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho.
- He tallied the joint highest number of assists at the 2010 World Cup and UEFA Euro 2012. He had three assists at each tournament.
- He is called der Rabe (which translates to The Raven in English) due to his opportunistic and clever style of play.
- With 25 assists, he had the highest number of assists in major European and domestic competitions in the 2010-2011 season while playing for Real Madrid.
- No other player has handed in more assists than Mesut for the German national team since his debut in February 2009. He has had 35 assists to his name as of late 2016.
- He was given the Bambi award in 2010 for being the symbol of Turkish integration in German society. He is one of the most famous German stars of foreign descent.
- Mesut is fluent in four languages – Turkish, German, Spanish, and English. And often, his social media posts are in all four languages.
- Due to his pre-match superstition, he always wears his right shoe first and always puts his right foot first while stepping onto the pitch.
- He ties his shoelaces in knots. He believes that this helps him with his incredible ball control as the ball could slip of his instep otherwise.
- He attributes his ability to play in packed areas to his childhood games, which he used to play in a small cage like a playground with older boys.
- As of February 2016, he has missed all his penalties for Arsenal, which includes one against Bayern Munich in the Champions League and another against French club Marseille in the same competition.
- He gave away his 2014 World Cup earnings, which was about £240,000, for free medical surgery of 23 Brazilian kids. He said it was a token of his gratitude to the Brazilian public for their hospitality.
- He has been named German player of the year on four occasions, including three consecutive wins from 2011 to 2013 and one in 2015.
- At the club level, he has won DFB Pokal, La Liga, Copa del Rey, and the English FA cup (multiple times).