|Mohammed Shami Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 3, 1990|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Mohammed Shami is an Indian cricketer who is best known as a deceptively potent fast bowler and reverse swing specialist. On the other hand, Mohammed has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 2 million followers on Instagram, more than 1.5 million followers on Facebook, and more than 2 million followers on Twitter.
Mohammed Shami Ahmed
Amroha, Uttar Pradesh, India
He is an alumnus of the Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Rohilkhand University in Uttar Pradesh.
- Father – Tousif Ali (Farmer)
- Mother – Anjuman Ara Begum
- Siblings – Mohammad Asif (Brother), Md Hasib Ahmad (Older Brother), Sabina Anjum (Sister). He has 1 more brother.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mohammed has dated –
- Hasin Jahan (2014-2018) – The couple has a daughter named, Aaira Shami (b. July 2015). In March 2018, his wife Hasin Jahan had filed a case against him for domestic violence. Later, in April, Shami and his older brother were questioned by the women’s grievance cell of Kolkata police over the charges that were brought in by his wife. His wife later accused him of having taken money from a Pakistani woman named Alishba. On September 2, 2019, Alipore Court had ruled out an arrest warrant for him but on September 10, 2019, the warrant was put on hold due to an error by the court. In September 2023, Mohammed and his brother were granted bail in the domestic violence case.
Race / Ethnicity
- Sports a thick beard
- Oval face shape
- Slightly bald from both sides on his head
Mohammed Shami Favorite Things
- Dish – Roasted Chicken
Source – Facebook
Mohammed Shami Facts
- He was raised in Sahaspur village alongside his 3 brothers and 1 sister.
- His swift bowling was passed down from his father Ali, who was also a pacer in his younger days.
- All 3 of Mohammad’s brothers aspired to be fast bowlers.
- It was his father who saw potential in Shami’s bowling and introduced him to cricket coach Badruddin Siddique at the age of 15. Badruddin then trained him and also convinced his parents to send him to Kolkata in 2005.
- He got his big break for the first time after signing a contract of INR 75000 with the former assistant secretary of the “Cricket Association of Bengal,” Debabrata Das’ team. Furthermore, Das helped him get into the sight of Sourav Ganguly and also gave Mohammad a place to stay at his own home.
- Shami made his First-Class debut in 2010 against Assam.
- He spent a lot of time perfecting his reverse swinging skills using old red balls that he would take from organizers.
- On his debut ODI match with Pakistan in January 2013, he bowled 4 maiden overs.
- In 2014, Mohammad had succumbed to a knee injury due to which he had to undergo surgery in 2015
- On January 26, 2017, Mohammed’s father passed away due to a heart attack despite having had a successful operation on January 11.
- According to sources, cricketer Yuzvendra Chahal had revealed Mohammed’s nickname, “Lalaji”, while interviewing him in January 2019.
- He was announced as the fastest Indian bowler to have taken 100 ODI wickets on January 23, 2019.
- During the IPL 2022 mega auction, Shami was purchased for INR 6.25 crore by the new IPL team Gujarat Titans in February 2022.
- In March 2022, he was congratulated by adult film actress Kendra Lust via Twitter after he was named Player of the Match for taking 3 wickets in 4 overs against Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) while playing for Gujarat Titans.
- In June 2022, he had purchased a new Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 bike for over INR 3 lakhs.
- In July 2022, Shami bought a Jaguar F-Type 2.0 Coupe R-Dynamic sports car worth INR 1 crore.
- In September 2022, Shami was tested positive for COVID-19. Hence, he was not included in the Indian squad to play the first T20I against Australia in Mohali, Punjab, India. Umesh Yadav was included as his replacement.
- In September 2023, in a match against Australia, he recorded his best bowling figures in ODI cricket which were 10-1-51-5.
- In November 2023, Mohammed became the highest wicket-taker for India in ODI World Cup history after he took his tally of wickets to 45 during a match against Sri Lanka.
- In November 2023, he received a marriage proposal from Bollywood actress turned-politician Payal Ghosh. However, she wanted to marry him on the condition that he work on improving his English language skills.
- On November 15, 2023, he recorded the best bowling figures by an Indian in ODI cricket history. In 9.5 overs, he took 7 wickets by giving 57 runs against New Zealand in the World Cup semi-final match in Mumbai. The previous record was held by Stuart Binny who had taken 6 wickets in 4.4 overs and gave only 4 runs in 2014.
Featured Image By Aidan Sammons / Flickr / CC BY 2.0