|Mort Sahl Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||May 11, 1927|
|Date of Death||October 26, 2021|
Mort Sahl was a Canadian-born American comedian, actor, and social satirist who is regarded as the first modern comedian. According to Steve Allen, Sahl was “the only real political philosopher we have in modern comedy”. Mort Sahl was also a part of various films such as In Love and War, All the Young Men, Johnny Cool, Doctor, You’ve Got to Be Kidding!, Don’t Make Waves, Nothing Lasts Forever, Inside the Third Reich, and Max Rose.
Morton Lyon Sahl
He was born on May 11, 1927.
On October 26, 2021, he died of natural causes at the age of 94 at his home in Mill Valley, Marin County, California, United States.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
He resided in Mill Valley, Marin County, California, United States.
Mort Sahl studied at Belmont High School, a public high school located in Los Angeles, California. During his time there, he wrote for the school’s newspaper.
Afterward, he enrolled at Compton College. He then attended the University of Southern California and earned a B.S. degree with majors in traffic engineering and city management in 1950. Later on, he continued to pursue a master’s degree but eventually dropped out.
Comedian, Actor, Social Satirist
- Father – Harry Sahl (Owned a tobacco store in Montreal, Worked as a clerk and court reporter for the FBI)
- Mother – Dorothy (Schwartz)
- Siblings – He was an only child.
Political Satire, Improvisational Comedy
American Politics, American Culture
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mort Sahl dated –
- Tippi Hedren – He was romantically involved with American actor and fashion model Tippi Hedren in the early 1960s.
- Phyllis Kirk – He once dated American actor Phyllis Kirk.
- Gloria Steinem – Mort Sahl also dated American journalist and social-political activist Gloria Steinem.
- Dyan Cannon – He was in a romantic relationship with American actor, filmmaker, and editor Dyan Cannon.
- Sue Babior (1955-1958) – Mort Sahl got married to his first wife Sue Babior in the year 1955 but the marriage soon ended in divorce in 1958.
- Yvonne Craig (1962-1967) – In September 1962, he started going out with American actor Yvonne Craig. After dating for several years, the couple decided to part ways in November 1967.
- China Lee (1967-1991) – He tied the knot with American actor and model China Lee in 1967 and they were blessed with a son named Mort Sahl Jr. The couple divorced in 1991. Their son died at the age of 19 from an unknown drug-related reaction in 1996.
- Kenslea Ann Motter (1997-2009) – Mort Sahl’s 3rd wife was Kenslea Ann Motter whom he married in 1997. They divorced in 2009. He reportedly regretted the end of their marriage and said, “I’m sorry I divorced Kenslea; I’m still in love with my wife. If you love a woman it’ll make her a better woman.”
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
He was raised in a Jewish household.
Mort Sahl Facts
- His father aspired to become a playwright and a Hollywood writer but was unable to achieve his dreams. Sahl later noted, “My dad was disappointed in his dreams and he distrusted that world for me.”
- One of Sahl’s classmates at Belmont High School was actor Richard Crenna.
- In 1958, he made his theatrical film debut as Danny Krieger in In Love and War.
- He achieved the feat of becoming the first comedian to be featured in a Time cover story in 1960.
- Mort Sahl’s autobiography titled Heartland was published in 1976.
- One of his friends was the late comedian and actor Robin Williams.
- He has inspired several artists including Lenny Bruce, Jonathan Winters, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Lewis Black, and Woody Allen.
Featured Image by NBC Television / eBay / Public Domain