|Murugan Ashwin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||September 8, 1990|
Murugan Ashwin is an Indian professional cricketer whose unorthodox bowling action and ability to bamboozle batsmen has seen him become a regular in the IPL (Indian Premier League), representing teams such as Rising Pune Supergiant (2016), Delhi Daredevils (2017), Royal Challengers Bangalore (2018), and Kings XI Punjab (2019-Present). In the Indian domestic circuit, he has represented his home state of Tamil Nadu (2012–Present), mostly in his preferred T20 format and sparingly in the longer versions of the sport.
Sivaganga, Pandya Nadu, Tamil Nadu, India
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Murugan had attended the Santhome Higher Secondary School and the Dayanand Anglo-Vedic (DAV) Public School, both in Chennai. A bright student, he had secured 93% marks in his 10th standard board exams and 94.5% in 12th standard.
He had then studied mechanical engineering at the Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar (SSN) College of Engineering in Chennai. He had earned an overall GPA (Grade Point Average) of 8 during his stint there.
- Father – EraMurukan Ramasami (Script/Dialogue Writer for Tamil films)
- Siblings – He has a sister.
89 – Rising Pune Supergiant (IPL), Delhi Daredevils (IPL), Royal Challengers Bangalore (IPL), Kings XI Punjab (IPL)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Murugan has dated –
- Aishwarya Subramanian (2014–Present) – Murugan got engaged to software professional Aishwarya Subramanian in 2014 and the couple got married in 2016. They have 2 daughters together.
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Affable smile
- Sports a goatee
- Short-cropped hair
Murugan Ashwin Facts
- Ashwin was one of the most talked-about buys in the 2016 IPL auction. He was snapped up by the newly formed franchise Rising Pune Supergiant for a whopping INR 4.5 crores which was 45 times his original base price of INR 10 lakhs.
- What was less of a surprise though was the fact that the captaincy and management team that had decided to buy him was the same as the Chennai Super Kings team where he used to be a regular net bowler. The team had been suspended for 2 years which had led to the creation of a temporary franchise (Rising Pune Supergiant) for 2016 and 2017.
- He was the leading wicket-taker for Tamil Nadu in a triumphant campaign for the team in the 2021 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (the premier domestic T20 cricket competition in India). Murugan Ashwin had dedicated the title to his mother who had passed away just a month ago after a long battle with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). He was not willing to participate in the tournament, grieving for his mother, but his father and sister had encouraged him to do so as they felt that it would be a fitting tribute to the departed who had been instrumental in his cricketing career.
- In the 2015-16 edition of the tournament, his breakthrough in the Indian domestic scene, he had picked up 10 wickets, the second-highest for his team. In his very first match in the tournament, also his T20 debut, he had picked up 4 wickets in his spell of 4 overs.
Featured Image by Murugan Ashwin / Instagram