Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Nathan Chen went to the West High School in Salt Lake City. He also studied at the Rim of the World High School in California. He eventually managed to complete his high school education through a virtual school program at California Connections Academy.
Nathan has taken ballet training at Ballet West Academy.
- Father – Zhidong Chen
- Mother – Hetty Wang (Worked as a part-time Medical Interpreter)
- Siblings – Alice Chen (Older Sister), Janice Chen (Older Sister), Tony Chen (Older Brother), Colin Chen (Older Brother)
Nathan Chen is represented by Yuki Saegusa of IMG Sports & Entertainment.
Marina Zueva, Oleg Epstein, Evgenia Chernyshova, Stephanie Grosscup, Karel Kovar, Amanda Kovar (Former)
Rafael Arutyunyan, Nadia Kanaeva, Vera Arutyunyan
Nadia Kanaeva, Marina Zueva, Nikolai Morozov, Phillip Mills, Stephanie Grosscup, Evgenia Chernyshova (Former)
Shae-Lynn Bourne, Lori Nichol
Salt Lake Figure Skating
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nathan Chen has dated –
- Amber Glenn (2016-2017) – Nathan was previously in a relationship with figure skater Amber Glenn. They started dating in 2016 and were pretty open about their relationship on the social media. Amber sent out a tweet in 2016 to thank him for making her valentine’s day special. Their relationship fettered out in 2017.
- Mai Mihara (2017) – Nathan was linked with Japanese figure skater Mai Mihara in the summer of 2017. The base of these linkups was a series of pictures he had shared on his Instagram account. The emojis used in the captioning of these images certainly left tongues wagging.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Chinese ancestry.
- Slight body frame
- Boyish good looks
Nathan Chen has done endorsement work for the following brands –
He has also used his strong social media reach to promote a number of products and brands.
His religious views aren’t known publicly.
Best Known For
Being one of the most promising American figure skaters. He managed to win the 2017–18 Grand Prix Final and the 2017 Four Continents. He had also delivered strong performances at the World Junior Championship in 2014.
He hasn’t been cast in any theatrical film till date.
First TV Show
In January 2018, Nathan Chen made his first TV show appearance on the news talk show, Today.
To make sure that he makes the best use of his potential, Nathan Chen trains for about 4-5 hours daily. He starts his first ice training session at 9:30 in the morning and it stretches for about an hour. He has another session between 11:40-1:40.
Apart from ice training, he squeezes a gym workout into his routine. Depending on his goals, his gym workout can last somewhere between 1-2 hours. He loves to do weight training exercises but he is not a fan of cardio work in the gym. He also likes to go cycling outdoor. Overall, he leans towards scientific-based training and focuses on improving the strength and power.
When it comes to diet, he relies on an organized nutrition schedule. However, he gives himself the freedom to sometimes deviate from the diet plan.
His daily diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – Egg wrap, yogurt, and a smoothie
- Lunch – CorePower, yogurt, fruits, various meat sandwiches, and a carb-based snack
- Dinner – A portion of carbs (noodle, pasta, rice or bread), a portion of protein (red meat, chicken, or fish), and some veggies, soup (occasionally)
- Snacks – Fruits, yogurt, and CorePower
Nathan Chen Favorite Things
- Celebrity Crush – Emma Watson
- Food – Sushi and Japanese food
- Animal – Otters
- Movies – Harry Potter series, American Sniper (2014), Whiplash (2014), and DC and Marvel movies
- TV Shows – Scrubs, How I Met Your Mother, and Parks and Recreation
- Social Media Platform – Instagram
Source – Pop Sugar, NBC Olympics, NBC Olympics
Nathan Chen Facts
- He holds the distinction of being the first male skater to have competed with 5 different types of quadruple jumps — flip, toe loop, loop, Salchow, and Lutz.
- His costumes for the 2018 US Championships were designed by the popular fashion designer Vera Wang.
- In his free time, he loves to indulge in photography.
- Both his parents were born and raised in China. They emigrated to the United States in their 20s.
- Becoming a figure skater wasn’t initially in his plans. He instead wanted to become a hockey goalie.
- While he was taking ballet classes, he was cast in the performances of Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake, and The Nutcracker.
- He has also tried his hand at gymnastics and competed in regional as well as state-level competitions for 7 years.
- He started skating at the age of 3. In 2003, he participated in his first skating competition.
- After the 2016 US Championships, he got injured and had to undergo immediate surgery. It took him 5 months to return to the ice rink.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Nathan Chen / Instagram