|Nelly Furtado Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2½ in|
|Date of Birth||December 2, 1978|
Nelly Furtado is a Canadian singer, songwriter, and actor who has won several accolades including a Grammy Award from 7 nominations, a Latin Grammy Award, 10 Juno Awards, a BRIT Award, a Billboard Music Award, an MTV Europe Music Award, a World Music Award, and 3 Much Music Video Awards. Her discography includes several albums and songs such as I’m Like a Bird, Turn Off the Light, Loose, Whoa, Nelly!, The Spirit Indestructible, Mi Plan, Folklore, The Ride, The Grass Is Green, Maneater, All Good Things (Come to an End), Say It Right, Manos al Aire, Waiting for the Night, Hey, Man!, No Hay Igual (ft. Calle 13), Explode, Try, Promiscuous (ft. Timbaland), Bajo Otra Luz (ft. Mala Rodríguez), and Powerless (Say What You Want). On February 28, 2014, Nelly Furtado was awarded Commander of the Order of Prince Henry in Toronto by Aníbal Cavaco Silva, the then-President of Portugal. She also has a star on Canada’s Walk of Fame.
Nelly Kim Furtado
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
She divides her time between –
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- New York City, New York, United States
In 1996, Nelly graduated from Mount Douglas Secondary School in Saanich, British Columbia, Canada.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
- Father – António José Furtado
- Mother – Maria Manuela (Worked as a motel cleaner)
- Siblings – Michael Anthony Furtado (Brother), Lisa Anne Furtado (Sister)
- Others – Manuel Matos Furtado (Paternal Grandfather), Maria Paixão Costa (Paternal Grandmother)
Furtado has been signed to several talent agencies –
- Chris Smith Management Inc., Music Artist Management Company, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- The Feldman Agency
Pop, dance-pop, folk, hip hop, Latin pop, R&B, world
Vocals, bass guitar, guitar, keyboard, piano, trombone, ukulele
DreamWorks Records, Geffen Records, Interscope Records, Mosley, Universal Music Latino, Nelstar, Eleven Seven
Her net worth had been $20 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 2½ in or 159 cm
55 kg or 121 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Nelly Furtado has dated –
- Ashton Kutcher – Nelly and American actor Ashton Kutcher dated in the past. Both the stars have admitted to having kissed each other, once or twice. Ashton has also taken her on some expensive dates. But, still, their relationship didn’t go any further.
- Jasper Gahunia (2001-2005) – Known for Gravity of Center (2011), Project Runway Spotlight: Marchesa (2012), Jasper Gahunia is a composer, who dated Nelly from 2001 to 2005. Together, the couple also has a daughter, named Nevis Chetan, who was born on September 20, 2003, in Toronto, Canada.
- Demo Castellon (2006-2016) – Cuban-American sound engineer, Demo Castellon started dating Furtado in January 2006. The duo engaged on July 6, 2007, and married on July 19, 2008. In April 2017, during an interview, Nelly announced that she had separated from Castellon in 2016.
- Hodgy – Nelly is currently dating rapper Hodgy. They made their relationship public in 2017 by appearing together on the red carpet of Monte-Carlo Gala For The Global Ocean.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Portuguese ancestry through both of her parents.
This is because of an interview given to Genre magazine in June 2006, where she showed a positive response in terms of attraction to women.
However, Nelly describes herself as “straight”.
- Mixed ethnicity
- Often wears doorknocker earrings
36-24-36 in or 91.5-61-81 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU)
Her shoe size is speculated to be 8 (US).
In 2007, she appeared in a Canadian TV commercial where she promoted the “Turn Out the Light”.
Best Known For
Her singing skills and singles such as “I’m Like a Bird” and “Turn Off the Light” from her debut album. She also won a Grammy award for the single “I’m Like a Bird” in 2002.
Furtado released her debut album Whoa, Nelly! on October 24, 2000, via DreamWorks Records. The album charted at #2 in Canada and UK, #24 in U.S., #5 in New Zealand, #14 in Germany, and many others.
She was able to sell 8,000,000 copies of the album worldwide. It was certified as 2x Platinum in the U.S., 4x Platinum in Canada, 2x Platinum in Australia, and others.
Nelly Furtado appeared in the 2008 American neo-noir action film Max Payne for her role as Christa Balder (wife of Max Payne’s slain ex-partner).
The film is loosely based on a video game of the same name.
First TV Show
In 2001, Nelly guest appeared in The WB’s science fiction television series Roswell as herself, where she performed the single “I’m Like a Bird”.
Furtado used to hit the gym a couple of years back. She wanted to look good in her body for the photoshoots. But, now her vision has changed and she works out for herself, and not for aesthetic purposes.
She eats in the right manner and works out to make her heart (including other body parts) healthy.
Nelly Furtado Favorite Things
- Food – Choco-chip cookies
- Accessory – Doorknocker earrings
Source – SwaggerNewYork.com
Nelly Furtado Facts
- She has been named after Nellie Kim (a Russian gymnast).
- Her parents are Portuguese, who immigrated to Canada in the late 1960s.
- She started singing in Portuguese at the age of four.
- Furtado started writing songs at 12 and started learning to play various musical instruments at 9.
- She used to smoke as a teenager.
- In 2002, she was named one of the “Fun and Fearless Females” by Cosmopolitan.
- In September 2011, during Free the Children‘s “We Day”, Nelly announced that she was donating CDN$1,000,000 to Free the Children to build schools for girls in the Maasai region of Kenya.
- On February 28, 2014, Nelly was given the “Commander of the Order of Prince Henry” award by the President of the Portuguese Republic in Toronto, Canada.
- Nelly’s biggest musical influence was “Ani DiFranco” while growing up.
- She used to listen to a wide variety of music in her childhood such as R&B, alternative hip-hop, Portuguese, Brazilian, Indian, and others.
- She was cast as Nelia in the 2015 romantic comedy film A Date with Miss Fortune.
- In May 2021, she teamed up with Quarterhead for the remix version of her 2006 song All Good Things (Come to an End).
- Nelly has been featured on the cover of numerous magazines like Flare, Elle, Shape, Vogue, Maxim, and Teen People.
- She has served as a member of the Canadian charity Artists Against Racism.
- In June 2023, Nelly released a new song titled Eat Your Man.