|Nupur Sharma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 23, 1985|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Nupur Sharma is an Indian politician and lawyer who joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, one of the 2 major political parties in India and the world’s largest political party in terms of primary membership, in 2005. She was appointed as one of the multiple national spokespersons of the party in 2020. She was suspended from the party in June 2022 after she had made some controversial, but far from untrue, remarks about the Prophet Muhammad, the founder of Islam. The outrage against her remarks spiraled into a storm of hateful posts on social media which eventually resulted in her receiving numerous death and r*pe threats. She apologized for her comments and requested the media to not show her comments on loop as there was a grave danger to her and her family’s safety and security due to the aforementioned threats. The whole episode once again laid bare in front of the entire world the seething intolerance among certain communities about matters pertaining to pride in their rigid religious beliefs and the extent to which they could be ready to gravely harm a person who has been accused of making a blasphemous statement. This entire socio-religious drama that this episode generated and the related political mudslinging that followed, both within India and from the Arab world, also resuscitated the debate about ‘facts vs. feelings’. Although centuries-old, this discussion remains pertinent in our modern world.
New Delhi, India
Nupur had attended the Delhi Public School, a private co-educational day and boarding school situated on Mathura Road in her hometown of New Delhi.
After her high school graduation, she joined the Hindu College, a constituent college of the University of Delhi, a collegiate public central university in New Delhi. She had graduated from there with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics. She later attained a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) degree from the same university’s Faculty of Law.
Nupur then studied at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), a constituent college of the University of London, a federal public research university in London. She had earned a Master of Laws (LL.M.) degree there.
- Father – Vinay Sharma
- Mother – Rupali Sharma
- Siblings – Rashi Sharma (Younger Sister)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Slender frame
- Center-parted, long, straight, dense hair
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
Nupur Sharma Facts
- She started her political journey when she was a student at the University of Delhi. She had joined the ABVP (Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad; translates to All India Students Council), the student wing of the Sangh Parivar, an umbrella term that refers to the collection of organizations spawned by the RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh; loosely translates to National Volunteer Organisation) which has very close ideological and organizational links with the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party; translates to Indian People’s Party).
- Nupur first came into the spotlight when she became the president of the Delhi University Student Union (DUSU) by winning the college election, representing the ABVP.
- Around the same time, she also became a political worker of the BJP. In 2015, she was appointed as an official spokesperson for the BJP‘s Delhi unit.
- In 2020, she was appointed as one of the multiple national spokespersons of the party. She was often seen on TV debates on mainstream Indian news channels on national issues and had made a name for herself due to her dynamic handling of controversial issues, deep subject knowledge, legal acumen, and lingual skills.
Featured Image by Nupur Sharma / Instagram