|Omar Sharif Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10½ in|
|Date of Birth||April 10, 1932|
|Date of Death||July 10, 2015|
Omar Sharif was an Egyptian actor, voice actor, writer, and producer who is regarded as one of his country’s greatest male film stars. His film credits include Lawrence of Arabia, Monsieur Ibrahim, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Doctor Zhivago, Genghis Khan, More Than a Miracle, Mayerling, The Night of the Generals, The Mysterious Island, The Horsemen, Ace Up My Sleeve, The Baltimore Bullet, Ashanti: Land of No Mercy, Heaven Before I Die, and 1001 Inventions and the World of Ibn Al-Haytham.
Michel Yusef Dimitri Chalhoub
Omar Sharif, Omar el-Sherief, Omar Cherif
He was born on April 10, 1932.
On July 10, 2015, Omar Sharif died at the age of 83 after suffering a heart attack at a hospital in Cairo, Egypt.
Al-Sayyida Nafisa Cemetery, Cairo, Egypt
Alexandria, Kingdom of Egypt (later: Republic of Egypt)
Omar Sharif studied at Victoria College, Alexandria. After that, he got enrolled at Cairo University and graduated with a degree in mathematics and physics.
It has also been incorrectly reported that he studied acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
Actor, Voice Actor, Writer, Producer
- Father – Joseph Chalhoub (A precious woods merchant)
- Mother – Claire (Saada) (A noted society hostess in whose house Egypt’s King Farouk was a regular visitor prior to his deposition in 1952)
- Others – Abla Abdallah (Maternal Grandmother), Omar Sharif Jr. (Grandson)
Omar Sharif was signed with Agence Anne Alvares Correa, Artistic Agency, Paris, France.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $2 Million.
5 ft 10½ in or 179 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Omar Sharif dated –
- April Ashley
- Gianna Serra
- Annette Stroyberg – RUMOR
- Faten Hamama (1954-1966) – Omar Sharif co-starred with actor and producer Faten Hamama in the 1954 film Struggle in the Valley and they shared a kiss on-screen (even though she had earlier refused to kiss on screen). They soon fell in love and got married in 1955 as Omar converted to Islam. The couple was blessed with a son named Tarek Sharif who was born in March 1957 in Egypt. Tarek was cast as Yuri in Doctor Zhivago when he was 8 years old. Faten Hamama and Omar separated in 1966 and later divorced in 1974. Sharif never remarried and later stated that Faten Hamama was his only true love.
- Tuesday Weld (1962)
- Diane McBain (1963)
- Ingrid Bergman (1964) – He had a fling with Swedish actor Ingrid Bergman in 1964 and they also co-starred in the film The Yellow Rolls-Royce (1964).
- Alicia Darr (1967)
- Lisa Seagram (1967)
- Barbra Streisand (1968) – In 1968, he hooked up with American actor and singer Barbra Streisand and they co-starred in the film Funny Girl (1968).
- Ava Gardner (1968) – It was RUMORed that Sharif had an encounter with American actor Ava Gardner in 1968 and they co-starred in the romantic tragedy film Mayerling (1968).
- Barbara Parkins (1968-1969)
- Barbara Bouchet (1969-1970)
- Alexandra Bastedo (1974)
- Karen Black (1975)
- Joan Severance (1977)
Race / Ethnicity
Omar Sharif was of Egyptian/Lebanese descent.
Sported a mustache
He was raised in a Melkite Greek Catholic household.
Later, he converted to Islam.
Omar Sharif Favorite Things
- Racecourse – Deauville-La Touques Racecourse in Normandy, France
Source – Wikipedia
Omar Sharif Facts
- Alongside his family, he was a member of the Antiochian Greek Christian minority (also known as Rūm).
- When he was 4 years old, he moved to Cairo with his family.
- He decided to adopt the surname “Sharif” (meaning “noble” or “nobleman” in Arabic) after he was chosen by Egyptian director Youssef Chahine to star in his 1954 romantic drama film The Blazing Sun.
- Along with Faten Hamama, Zaki Rostom, Abdel Waress Assar, Farid Shawki, and Hamdy Gheith, Omar Sharif co-starred as Ahmed Salam (an engineer and son of Saber Abdul Salam) in the 1954 film The Blazing Sun.
Featured Image by Photographer-Gene Weber, Seattle / eBay / Public Domain