|Piper Laurie Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||January 22, 1932|
Piper Laurie is an American actress who is best known for her work in films such as The Hustler (1961), Carrie (1976), and Children of a Lesser God (1986). She is also well recognized for portraying the character of Catherine Martell in the cult mystery-horror serial drama TV series Twin Peaks (1990-1991).
Piper Laurie, Rosie
Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan, United States
Piper had graduated, in 1950, from the Los Angeles High School, the oldest public high school in the southern California region and the Los Angeles unified school district.
- Father – Alfred Jacobs (Furniture Dealer)
- Mother – Charlotte Sadie (née Alperin)
- Siblings – Sherry Arlene Jacobs (Older Sister) (d. 2006)
- Others – Anna (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Piper has dated –
- Ronald Reagan (1950-1951)
- Dick Contino (1951-1952)
- Scott Brady (1952)
- Howard Duff (1952-1953)
- Leonard Goldstein (1953-1954)
- Frank Rosenborg (1954)
- Jackie Cooper (1954)
- Charles Simonelli (1954-1955)
- G. David Schine (1955-1956)
- Conrad Hilton Jr. (1956)
- Gene Nelson (1956-1957)
- John Frankenheimer (1957-1958)
- Joseph L. Mankiewicz (1958)
- Christopher Plummer (1959)
- Joe Morgenstern (1960-1982) – Piper had started dating film critic, journalist, and screenwriter Joe Morgenstern in 1960. They had first met when he had interviewed her during a film’s promotion. They got married on January 21, 1962, and had adopted a girl who they had named Anna Grace Morgenstern (b. January 9, 1971). After more than 2 decades of wedlock, the couple had parted ways in November 1982.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ashkenazi Jewish (Polish and Russian) descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Center-parted, neck-length, frizzy hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
Piper Laurie Facts
- When Piper was 6 years old, her family had moved to Los Angeles. She was very shy as a child and to overcome this, her parents used to send her for weekly elocution lessons.
- This practice had eventually led to her getting selected for minor roles at nearby Universal Studios. For a significant part of her early childhood, her parents had placed her and her older sister in a children’s home. The sisters used to hate the environment there due to which they had both developed a severe anxiety disorder.
- In 1949, she had signed a contract with Universal Studios and had changed her screen name to Piper Laurie. Over the next 6 years or so, she had acted in a few movies, and to enhance her image, Universal Studios had told gossip columnists that she used to bathe in milk and used to eat flower petals to protect her luminous skin.
- In the mid-1950s, discouraged by the lack of substantial film roles, she had briefly moved to New York City to study acting and to seek work on the stage and in TV shows.
- In 1962, she was named Harvard University’s ‘Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year’, awarded annually by the theatrical society members of the university to performers deemed to have made a lasting and impressive contribution to the world of entertainment.
- In 2000, she had received the ‘Spirit of Hope Award’ in Korea for her service during the Korean War.
- She is also a sculptor and her work based on marble and clay has often been exhibited.
Featured Image by Piper Laurie / Instagram